When Do I Put In 4.10's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading a few posts from folks who've put in their lifts and gone to larger tires, which required a set of 4.10's to make their Libby happy. That's OK, but I'm seeing potential additional work in my future. That's not a bad thing, but...

What tire size requires me to go to 4.10's? I'm planning a standard OME lift, maybe with a little bit of clevis and/or top plate and rear iso's. Tire size I was planning on was 264/75/16 or 245/70/16 to fill out the wheel wells, add some to the ground clearance and for good snow traction come winter. (Crap, it isn't even summer and I'm thinking about snow... :pp: )

Will either of those require re-gearing for my '03 Renegade with the 42RLE?

This is a DD that tows a small boat, will see some off-road for fun with me and my wife.

I love rolling under the truck for maintenance and upgrades - just hadn't planned on replacing gear sets any time soon... :think:

Bob

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I'm in the process of regearing to 4:10 gears myself.
I'm just waiting for my replacement front ring and pinion
to arrive...
Our Heep has 245-75-16 (30.8 inches tall) size tires.
(265-75-16=31.9" tall tire FYI)
With a full load of camping gear, recovery equipment, and
Food; you can feel the transmission down shifting almost
continually if we were to leave the overdrive on when cruising
on the freeway at freeway speeds.
Off road with all that crap in the back we really notice the
loss in torque with the bigger tires.
However, once unloaded it isn't too bad. But...
Once we get into more demanding terrain, then you do start to feel
the loss of torque again as more right foot pressure is
required!
I also notice that the engine is working harder due to
higher engine and transmission temperatures.

So... If you decide on 265's, then yes you will want
to regear. Not to mention that the stock gearing will
also zap your fuel economy!
If you go with 245's you can get away with the stock
gear ratio but regearing will be a big plus!

Last edited:

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good answer:). I too have been debating the regear but be warned the front is a PITA and $$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I know of someone who regeared to 4.10s and they are running 265-70s ( about the same height as 245-75s) and they now wished they had done it sooner, more power and better MPGs

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty then...

Sounds like 4.10's are in my future to go along with the OME lift and the 245/70's. :smokin:

So Xodius (and anyone else who wants to fill me in) you mention the front is a PITA and expensive. What are we talking about price-wise? And for the PITA part - complete disassembly of the front end to open up the diff? Special tools required? Where did you get the gear sets - JBA? Another vendor? Lots of questions.

Love wrenching our Jeep but don't want to get in too deep and then need rescuing from a local shop. :freak3:

Bob

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Reading this forum contains Jeep Disease & some of the most expensive words/ideas around.
Since you are mainly concerned with snow, I can see the lift, but re-gearing...???
Ya it is all nice to have 265 in 31 inch tires but is that going to help in snow? Not much.
What does help greatly in snow is a set of radial chains. (until you hit dry pavement)
Even with my SpiderTrax wheel spacers, Boiler's shims, clevis, OME lift and JBA 4.5s, my Silent armors in 245-65-17 still do not look that bad, and are great in snow and maintain's handling and fuel mileage as it is. Ya it would look better and fill the wheel well with 31's, but am I going to do that? Not needed really. I could throw on a set of MTR's 245-70's-17 and be looking sharp, but I still say the profile of 65R allows better handling and mileage performance. Really don't like sidewall flex. And if I was after the big tires it would be MTR's that has kevlar in sidewall, which eliminates most flex$.
I would do the lift right with 4.5s first and then decide if you really need 4:10s.
40028[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• JeepWithSpacers.jpg
    JeepWithSpacers.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty then...

Sounds like 4.10's are in my future to go along with the OME lift and the 245/70's. :smokin:

So Xodius (and anyone else who wants to fill me in) you mention the front is a PITA and expensive. What are we talking about price-wise? And for the PITA part - complete disassembly of the front end to open up the diff? Special tools required? Where did you get the gear sets - JBA? Another vendor? Lots of questions.

Love wrenching our Jeep but don't want to get in too deep and then need rescuing from a local shop. :freak3:

Bob
The rear gears can be had anywhere,but Yukon is the better choice for aftermarket gear sets.The front's are only made by Dana/Spicer,and yes they are very different then any other D30 gear set.

The front diff does have to be completely pulled to change the gears,about 5-6 hours of labor time in that alone which the expensive part.If you have never done gears before might want to have a pro install them as special tools are required for both diffs.

Not a D30A or 8.25 but basically the same applies for all diffs.............

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Reading this forum contains Jeep Disease & some of the most expensive words/ideas around.
Since you are mainly concerned with snow, I can see the lift, but re-gearing...???
Ya it is all nice to have 265 in 31 inch tires but is that going to help in snow? Not much.
What does help greatly in snow is a set of radial chains. (until you hit dry pavement)
Even with my SpiderTrax wheel spacers, Boiler's shims, clevis, OME lift and JBA 4.5s, my Silent armors in 245-65-17 still do not look that bad, and are great in snow and maintain's handling and fuel mileage as it is. Ya it would look better and fill the wheel well with 31's, but am I going to do that? Not needed really. I could throw on a set of MTR's 245-70's-17 and be looking sharp, but I still say the profile of 65R allows better handling and mileage performance. Really don't like sidewall flex. And if I was after the big tires it would be MTR's that has kevlar in sidewall, which eliminates most flex$.
I would do the lift right with 4.5s first and then decide if you really need 4:10s.
40061[/ATTACH]"]

Goodyear Silent Armour's compared to M/T R's is comparing apples to oranges!

The M/T R's are just that a Maximum Traction tire and a Silent Armour is an All Terrain tire.
Two different tires entirely!
No comparison.
Would a 265-75-16 be better in the snow?
Yes and no!
Wide tire= more floatation.
Typically tall skinny tires are better in the snow.
235-85-16 (32 inches tall) would be the best in the snow
around here anyway. Sinks down and bites in the hard pack
snow better!
Whereas a 265-75-16 would work better in packed dry snow.
And yes, a 32 inch tall tire would definitely benefit from 4:10
gears.

Attachments

• JeepWithSpacers.jpg
    JeepWithSpacers.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
From the GoodYear Site Comparing MTR's and Silent Armor's
40063[/ATTACH]"]

The only category where MTR has a higher rating is the off road.
Otherwise the Silent Armor actually has better ratings than the MTR.

For Snow MTR get a 7 rating
Silent Armor receives a 10 rating

Attachments

• GoodYearTireComparison.jpg
    GoodYearTireComparison.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
From the GoodYear Site Comparing MTR's and Silent Armor's
40065[/ATTACH]"]

The only category where MTR has a higher rating is the off road.
Otherwise the Silent Armor actually has better ratings than the MTR.

For Snow MTR get a 7 rating
Silent Armor receives a 10 rating

Oh, I forgot, you won't be taking your KJ off road anyway...
You are going to park it soon and use it for the winter!:happy175:

Attachments

• GoodYearTireComparison.jpg
    GoodYearTireComparison.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I was actually hoping in August when I finally get some time off, that we could do some off road camping stuff with the 2 Jeeps.
I want to put the lift through it's paces and see how it does!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I was actually hoping in August when I finally get some time off, that we could do some off road camping stuff with the 2 Jeeps.
I want to put the lift through it's paces and see how it does!

Did you see the post I posted here: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48735
I've done this one a long time ago. Back in 1885!
Better August, Still have plenty of snow up there then as well!

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just curious about the regear. with stock i can go 70 mph at around 2000rpms. what will 70 be like with the 410s and 245s or 265s?? this is important to me as i sometimes take long tri
ps.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If going to 265-75s 4.10s will put it closer to where it was stock as far as RPMs before I swapped mine lugged a lot at 70, would drop down a gear even on the slightest grade, now hit 70, the cruise and it goes. Friend swapped his running 265-70s and getting better mileage than before etc, not sure on his RPMs.
I'll have to check mine this coming weekend. Long trip coming up for me:Bye: