Wheelin'...transfer case position sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So went out a'wheelin' this weekend (pics to be provided later- that's right, white knuckle wheeling, no lift, read 'em and weep) and for a large portion of the trip my Transfer Case Position sensor was whacked exactly the same way so many others complain of. Shows 'PART TIME' when I'm in 2h. Blank when I'm in 4h, and 4LO when I'm in 4lo.

Searched the threads and the web (including this forum) and can find precious little on how to fix this without taking it to a shop and paying $1,000,000 US to get it repaired.

Plenty of people saying "Yes, it does that", explanations of where the sensor cable is, how to unplug it etc. etc. but nary a word on actually fixing this problem.

The TCPS seems to come in at the top of the case, nigh unreachable without dropping the case itself. And I'm guessing to repair or replace the sensor a tcase drop is required. I did some reading on dropping the tcase and it seems... doable but doesn't look like something you can do in ten minutes.

Also, people talked about the resistor failing in there, but to me, this seems like a purely mechanical thing. Ie, the linkage which rotates the position sensor switch is out of alignment or something. Because after I fiddled with the tcase lever in my driveway the next day, it all started working again. But I'm assuming that it will fail the next time I go out. So any real tips on what it actually takes to fix this thing would be appreciated.

Update: Whelp, silly me. Just after posting this, I went over to LOSTKJ's, and found a thread where one guy claims it's a 10 minute job and a $75 part. Says he unscrewed it from the case, and put a new one in. Claims the "angles were tough" suggesting that it's hard to reach up there (trust me, I found that out yesterday). Anyone second this opinion?

Last edited: