Wheel well mod with a heat gun??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steepcreekfreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looked in how to and couldn't find any info on this.

I went to 245/75 16's, M/T rs and I am getting a little rubbing on the front wheel wells next to the foglamp doors

My question is cut or heat and reform?

I know I can get out the dremel and be rub free in about 3 minutes but I was wondering if I could wedge a 2x4 in there and heat and reform the well with a heat gun?

Anyone esle have suceess with this or should I just cut away?

Thanks jeepsters!

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the heatgun and my boot to soften it up and push it forward. Just be careful of what is behind the plastic. I tossed some aluminum foil behind the foglamp doors to reduce direct heat. I still get rubbing but it is only when I am doing some wild stuff on trails.

steepcreekfreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well heat gun worked out well for me. It still needs a little more works some very light rubbing but I am kinda a perfectionist about my ride.

Thanks for the advice about the foil to keep the heat away from the foglamp wiring.

For pushing on the heated plastic I used a variety of 2x4's and other "sticks" to push it around and hold it till it set. Got one wedged between the pinch weld and below the fog doors and heated it up adding more spacers behind the board and the plastic moved forward. Worked out great.

Then I trimmed the air dam back because it was causing the most noise when i was backing up.

Thanks for the tips!!

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont know where this pinch wled is or what it looks like, i feel like such a new.. *sigh*

Also what are all those little plastic nubs for that are all around the inside of the fender flare? I got one that sticking out a bit and i dont know how to get it back in

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pinch weld is that protruding plastic rectangle in the wheel well facing the rear of the vehicle. Rather, the pinch weld is behind that plastic rectangle protrusion. Plastic nubs? As in plastic pop rivets? They're just that...plastic rivets. If one is sticking out there is no way to "push it in." It means it did not get fully pulled before it popped and the mechanism for pulling it tight is already snapped off. The only way to set them properly is at initial installation, and the only way to remove them is to cut them off and use brand new rivets. They do not fit in a standard rivet tool, either - you will have to buy a plastic riveter. I got mine for 15 bucks or so special ordered online. I know I saw some on Amazon, too.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i cant just use a hammer and hit it back in. And when i looked in my wheel well, there is nothing sticking out, its all flat.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are not listening and you obviously do not comprehend how a rivet works. You cannot hammer a rivet "back in". If it is sticking out in the first place it was not pulled tight enough before it popped. And everyone has the pinch weld.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at your driver side front tire. Look to the right. On the wheelwell, there's a protrusion, looks like a "fin" or something. That's the pinch weld.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I'll have to look - I don't think the '05+ should have any real problems other than the pinch weld since we don't have fogs in the bumper. I'll have to see if there are any other obtrustions on the bumper side. I don't think there are, but I am not really familiar with the Liberty yet. ;)