Wheel Vibrations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackPatch

Reaction score
Hello all.

First post here... I am Pete, native Brit living in Alberta, Canada.

I have an 02 Sport Jeep KJ that I bought in 2012 for $2600 it needed a little work on it so I replaced the following:

New After market Water pump, new serpentine belt, Radiator, tires and rear exhaust.
She now runs smooth as a kitten and is great on the hi-way and good in the dirt.

HOWEVER!!!!!!

I have a wheel vibration starting at 40Kph and really peaking in intensity at 80Kph. It only happens under load (Vehicle accelerating)

What I know:
No vibration through the Transmission when you hold the gear selector (Automatic ******)
When braking there is no deviation in line.. I.e the vehicle does not swerve to one side due to the vibration.

Am I looking at a wheel out of balance or am I looking at a failing Wheel bearing? The noise is not a high pitched whine and gear selection is okay with very minimal slop.

Vehicle has 256000 kms on the clock. Just had a Diff Oil change.

Any knowledge would be appreciated.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Seems to be my "line" for the day ... but ... have you had a look at your front drive shaft (transfer case end)? A lot of times the boot has deteriorated and it causes all kinds of racket. :D

P.S. Welcome!

BlackPatch

Reaction score
Thanks Luke.

I will look into that.

It is a real Vibration with some noise included.
Feels like it is coming from the front end left side.
It is worse some days than others.
CV Joint ? or Wheel Bearing?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your vib only happen in a particular gear?

If not, i got money on rear drive shaft u joint.

Bubba Fett

Reaction score
Hello all.

First post here... I am Pete, native Brit living in Alberta, Canada.

I have an 02 Sport Jeep KJ that I bought in 2012 for $2600 it needed a little work on it so I replaced the following:

New After market Water pump, new serpentine belt, Radiator, tires and rear exhaust.
She now runs smooth as a kitten and is great on the hi-way and good in the dirt.

HOWEVER!!!!!!

I have a wheel vibration starting at 40Kph and really peaking in intensity at 80Kph. It only happens under load (Vehicle accelerating)

What I know:
No vibration through the Transmission when you hold the gear selector (Automatic ******)
When braking there is no deviation in line.. I.e the vehicle does not swerve to one side due to the vibration.

Am I looking at a wheel out of balance or am I looking at a failing Wheel bearing? The noise is not a high pitched whine and gear selection is okay with very minimal slop.

Vehicle has 256000 kms on the clock. Just had a Diff Oil change.

Any knowledge would be appreciated.

My 2005 Ford F150 had this same issue. After spending a lot of time and money looking at the ******, the drive shaft, and balancing the tires about 10 times it turns out that the rims were defective, and the issue was fixed by tossing some extra weights on the rims.

Still has a slight vibration, but not as bad as when I first purchased it.