Wheel spacers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try that, but bringing the wheel out further will also cause isses with clearance of the flares then.
You must be registered for see images

I did it to my old explorer, mostly for looks because I didn't like how far under the wheel/sat under the flare....I later found that under harder offroad situations, I was rubbing the tire on the flare. This was with the rear.
You'd probably run into the same issues up front, maybe even worse, when you're throwing the fact that the wheel turns also, you'd be prone to catching the tire on the front, and rear of the flare...no different than putting a really low offset wheel on there.

How thick did you plan to do?

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Using a spacer puts more stress on the wheel bearings.

It's no different than putting on wheels with lower offset and higher backspacing...especially if you do it right and get hubcentric spacers with their own studs. The result is the same, the weight of the wheel/tire is moved outward, so if the spacers cause stress, so do your wheels.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,
I was looking at those spacers that Rocky Road Outfitters has which are
1.25" thick per wheel.
I figured if that they were of appreciable gain, I would spin some up on the lathe in that size and if they were too thick, I could mill some off an 1/8" at a time.

As far as more stress on the wheel bearings... Yea, I am aware of that as well, I run 1.5" competition spacers on my Mini. However, I am still on the same set of bearings(ball not timken)for the last five years, and they are still in excellent condition.

Besides, if you run different wheels with a different offset, this will also move the wheel out and place additional stress on the hub assembly/bearings

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting a rim on there with different BS does not put more stress on the bearing like a spacer does. Using a spacer creates a pivot point since the rim actually mounts further away from the hub. A rim with less BS can actually be easier on the bearings. O:)

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Putting a rim on there with different BS does not put more stress on the bearing like a spacer does. Using a spacer creates a pivot point since the rim actually mounts further away from the hub. A rim with less BS can actually be easier on the bearings. O:)

Not when like I said, you buy the good ones which are hubcentric...meaning the hub size of the spacer matches the hub of the vehcile. You can even get hub rings custom made to make up the difference between a new wheel and the hub if they are different. As stated a wheel with a higher BS (such as yours) and a lower offset (such as yours) will do the same thing a spacer will. Just as both socks and I have stated, it will do the same thing as a spacer if you're talking about stress. I have yet to hear of anyone directly linking wheel spacers to wheel bearing wear and failure.

The spacers you want to stay away from are the ones that do not have their own studs, and use the existing studs you already have. If you don't at least replace your existing studs with longer ones with this type, you are putting a spacer over your studs, shortening the usable section of the stud, and that WILL stress the studs, and I HAVE seen stud failure with this type of spacer, but still not wheel bearing problems. I have seen, and used both types of spacers in the past.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Good day,

Here is a link to the wheel spacers I am referring to:

http://www.rocky-road.com/kjspace.html

As you can see in the photo,the spacers bolt to the hub then the wheel bolts to the wheel studs pressed into the spacers.
The reason I said I'd make 'em is that just two spacers would run me over $200.00 delivered to my door.
For that kind of money I can make 4!

Cheers

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are pretty much what I used to have. I had no trouble with them, other than the flare touchin issue under heavy flexing. Are you going to lift it too?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Hi there,

Yes, either a Rusty's 2.5" coil lift or the Frankenlift. I figure on doing some surgery under the front fenders. Typical stuff covered here on this forum, and what ever else I find.
As far as tires go, 245-70-16 T/A A/T's or 245-75-16 T/A M/T.

Cheers
Ry'

Members online

No members online now.