Wheel cover security??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhanson16

Reaction score
How secure are the rear wheel covers on the liberty? Do they just zip up or is there some kind of security device? Im asking about the factory ones.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No security at all. Just unzip and go if you wanna take someones. Pull out the blade and rip it up if you want to. Then grab a 3/4" lugnut wrench and remove the 3 lugs to take the spare. All of that without having to breach any security devices at all.

:)

jhanson16

Reaction score
wow! I have no interest in taking anyones. hahaha i was looking to get one but didnt know how secure they were. I hate to spend $40-50 and have someone run off with it.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wheel cover was $100 and theres nothing to prevent it from being stolen. It does match my Jeep really good though :)

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one that was camouflage...it looked REALLY cool being that mine is Lt. Khaki and all. About a week after I got it, someone literally RIPPED it to shreds trying to steal it. They didn't succeed because I had used 1/8" think vinyl coated steel cable run through grommets in the top and bottom of it to secure it to the spare tire mounting bracket. They must have yanked on it pretty hard to get it to rip like that. Needless to say,I was mad....oh well, now we've got the regular "JEEP Liberty" tire cover. It's been there for a year, guess nobody wants that one...LOL

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one that was camouflage...it looked REALLY cool being that mine is Lt. Khaki and all. About a week after I got it, someone literally RIPPED it to shreds trying to steal it. They didn't succeed because I had used 1/8" think vinyl coated steel cable run through grommets in the top and bottom of it to secure it to the spare tire mounting bracket. They must have yanked on it pretty hard to get it to rip like that. Needless to say,I was mad....oh well, now we've got the regular "JEEP Liberty" tire cover. It's been there for a year, guess nobody wants that one...LOL

Scumbags.

Mine is protected by Colt Python, S&W and Walther. :D

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no security on spare. It can be removed with the spare carrier off the tailgate.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that steel cable is a good idea.. I may try that.

Yeah, I wish I had taken pics of it. I ran the cable through the grommet in the top of the tire cover, then through and all around the mounting bracket thing, then through the grommet in the bottom of the tire cover. I made loops on each end of the cable and used a "masterlock" type lock to lock the two ends together. It definately worked, at least he didn't get away with it....even though I had a ripped up tire cover in the end.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would rather them not get away with it and have a ripped cover than them to of gotten away with it.

Ohh, wait, you got that JK thing, I cant use ideas that you have. :)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do you guys live? In the "biff-world" from "bttf part 2"?

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no security on spare. It can be removed with the spare carrier off the tailgate.

Getting away from the original question, but there is a security device for the spare tire carrier as well, I have one on mine. Where I park at work is not the greatest area and I didn't want someone to walk away with my spare Revo :)

I got it on e-bay, they are still available here.

Simple but effective.

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting away from the original question, but there is a security device for the spare tire carrier as well, I have one on mine. Where I park at work is not the greatest area and I didn't want someone to walk away with my spare Revo :)

Simple but effective.

Dave

Dave.....Awesome find. Never saw those before. So if you get one of those and then put a locking lug on the spare it should be a good deterrant (sp?). I like that idea. Then you could just take the cover off and show off your Revo spare.

Dave

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, that's what I figured. It's a pretty clever idea.
;)

Really neat idea. I don't usually park anywhere that concerns me, but anything can happen anywhere.

Dave

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow! I have no interest in taking anyones. hahaha i was looking to get one but didnt know how secure they were. I hate to spend $40-50 and have someone run off with it.

i have one that says JEEP on it if you want to buy it for less than MSRP, its used, but cheap

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Simple but effective.

Dave

yeah, that is awesome.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you wanna remove it yourself, I guess that isn't happening, is it?

just need to find the retainers from somewhere...

Are you referring to the spare tire carrier locking doodad? If so it's no different than locking lug nuts, it's 2 pieces, need both to get on and off, one piece stays on.

So yeah if you lose the second piece you're SOL :)