Wheel bearing dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took it for another drive this morning. The noise resonates most between 35 and 50 mph, particularly when coasting. Above 55 it seems to be less noticeable, perhaps because Jeeps just make a lot of other noises at highway speeds that mask it.

I’m wondering if now that I’ve replaced the wheel bearing and that noise went away, I’m noticing tire noise. I can test this hypothesis by rotating the tires, because that should quiet them down.

Another alternative hypothesis is that it’s the front drive shaft, particularly the CV on the transfer case end. I replaced that about 4 years ago, but it’s a known failure point on these Jeeps. Even though it looks ok, it might be starting to have some play internally. I can’t pin the droning noise on either the left or right sides, so the center drive shaft could make sense.

I’m interested in what you all think. Please let me know.

rotary_powered

Reaction score
Does the noise change if you ever so slightly press the accelerator? I have the opposite problem, when I give it the tiniest bit of power it hums, and goes away when I let off. Is it the same noise regardless of engine RPM? Try 3 vs 4th gear, if it's the same pitch / tone, and engine RPM doesn't affect it, I would assume it would be after the output shaft of the transmission, and on the rear axle side or in the transfer case.

I think mine's in the rear driveshaft, engine rpm does not affect it, and it's only when power is applied in a certain speed range

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the noise change if you ever so slightly press the accelerator? I have the opposite problem, when I give it the tiniest bit of power it hums, and goes away when I let off. Is it the same noise regardless of engine RPM? Try 3 vs 4th gear, if it's the same pitch / tone, and engine RPM doesn't affect it, I would assume it would be after the output shaft of the transmission, and on the rear axle side or in the transfer case.

I think mine's in the rear driveshaft, engine rpm does not affect it, and it's only when power is applied in a certain speed range

I just took the Jeep out on the highway again so I could try some of the things you asked about.
- The noise is entirely linked to wheel speed, not engine RPM.
- Hitting the gas or letting off does not change it (contrary to what I thought earlier).
- Changing from 4th to 3rd gear using tow/haul does not change it.
- Going around corners does not change it.

Also, the noise seemed to be quieter/less this time compared to my trip this morning. At 55-60 mph I couldn’t even hear it. At 30 mph or less I can’t hear it. It’s most noticeable from 35-45 mph, but not as loud as it was yesterday. Weird.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you rotate the tires yet?
Not yet! I have a broken very stuck lug nut in my way. I have posted about it before, and it’s still stuck! I used a set of those biting removal sockets and the impact wrench and it still didn’t come off. I shot it with PB Blaster again a couple of days ago and I’ll try it again with the impact this afternoon.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not yet! I have a broken very stuck lug nut in my way. I have posted about it before, and it’s still stuck! I used a set of those biting removal sockets and the impact wrench and it still didn’t come off. I shot it with PB Blaster again a couple of days ago and I’ll try it again with the impact this afternoon.

Ahh yes, I remember your dilemma. Good luck with that! I hate when those little thing gum up the works.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder - could you heat it (the lug nut)
cherry red with a torch and hammer a smaller impact socket on it? Let it cool and back it off? Then replace that stud just in case it weakened.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder - could you heat it (the lug nut)
cherry red with a torch and hammer a smaller impact socket on it? Let it cool and back it off? Then replace that stud just in case it weakened.
I don’t have a torch but I am considering maybe drilling the stud out to the point where the mangled lug nut falls off, then replacing the stud. But I’d really like it to just release and save the stud! I really don’t feel like taking everything apart to replace a stud.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Tighten the adjacent lugs, start chiseling couterclockwise, switch to a punch when you get a good flat spot. If the protruding lip comes off without progress then use a small chisel and try chiseling the nut apart. Use a triangle file to clean up the threads on the stud if it isn't too bad.

Replace the two piece lug nuts with solid ones and don't let anyone use an impact installing them.

Good luck.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t own a torch or chisels (yet) so I tightened down the adjacent lugs and gave it another shot with my electric impact. The PB blaster has had several days to creep in.

You must be registered for see images attach

Denied! :eek:

I think it’s an air impact at a professional auto shop or drill it out.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for grins. Try tightening it a few seconds then back it out. Like rocking a stuck vehicle in snow or mudd. Back a bit then forward. Etc

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
May be too late for this current issue, but I bought some of that AeroKroil spray penetrating oil. Tom Mudd recommended it often so gave it a try, and it's worked on everything I've tried it on so far. It's pricey but worth it to me since it works. Has been a lifesaver on all the rusted stuck bolts on my 67 Pontiac rusty special.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Kroil is great stuff! I don't have any because I loaned both cans I bought and I can't afford anymore.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
A shop got that evil lug nut off for me today and we rotated the tires.

The tech said what he was hearing when he test drove it was tire noise on the pavement.

I suppose it’s possible that my tires have gotten louder as they have more than 3000 miles on them now, mostly city. I had been driving with a deteriorating wheel bearing for a while, and I guess that once I changed it, I was expecting the same quiet I used to have with new tires.

I will keep an eye (ear) on this.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright here’s an update on that front end drone noise that’s been bugging me.

It’s the passengers side front wheel bearing. :eek:

Yes, they were both bad, and this one is not far behind its sibling. o_O

I’m having my shop do the work this time, as school is starting and I don’t have the time to do it myself. I guess it makes sense that they both went bad around the same time as they have both rolled over the same number of miles. :(

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Bad Jeep !
I'm curious, how many miles did they fail at anyways?
You must be registered for see images attach

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha ha, actually these were the original units from 2007 when my Jeep was manufactured in Toledo. Not too bad that they lasted as long as they did.

- drivers front hub bearing changed at 170268 miles

- passengers front hub bearing changed at 171378 miles

Now, the rear axle bearings... they’ve rolled just as many miles. Will they be next?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.