Wheel bearing dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow hubs offered a very good service, as that is a lot of miles.
The rear axle bearings keep an eye on them, look for any play/rational noise.
For longevity also consider changing the rear diff gear oil every 35k, to keep the gears clean.
Do you still have the original u joints ?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, U joints are all original. The CV on the front driveshaft on the transfer case side was changed out about 4 years ago. The front passengers side CV and intermediate shaft were changed out about 6 years ago or so. Drivers side CV is still original.

Omar

Reaction score
Sorry to jump in your post but all the liberties geniuses are here so will be easier and quicker ....I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty sport 3.7 with OME springs and JBA .5” clevis spacers 3” lifted más o menos my lower front ball joint is gone in the right side I changed Entire suspension system (front and rear) when I lifted it but ball joints came with the arms Jeep dealer did the alignment and everything was fine 5000 miles later boom!!! Ball joint is gone I’m going to replace both but I want to buy good stuff any recommendations??? Please

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Omar, which ball joints failed? Upper or lower? Also, do you have aftermarket upper control arms by JBA?

Omar

Reaction score
Omar, which ball joints failed? Upper or lower? Also, do you have aftermarket upper control arms by JBA?

Lower arm ball joints... I went under and I can hear them when wife turn the wheel and move car

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lower arm ball joints... I went under and I can hear them when wife turn the wheel and move car
I recommend getting Moog greasable ball joints when you replace them again. Keeping them greased will make them last much longer.

Omar

Reaction score
I recommend getting Moog greasable ball joints when you replace them again. Keeping them greased will make them last much longer.
That’s what happens when you buy $30 ball joints

Attachments

• 2269D522-D915-4ABF-BDF4-633E47638CA5.jpeg
    2269D522-D915-4ABF-BDF4-633E47638CA5.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 16

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just as a follow up, after replacing both front wheel bearings, I can now get 18-20 mpg on the highway again. It had been averaging about 17. Driving and especially coasting just seem smoother now.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, believe it or not, the difference between 70 mph and 65 mph in my Jeep is 1 mpg. Cruising at 65 is just easier on the unregeared drivetrain with my 31’s. I get the best mileage between 55-60 mph but I just don’t want to drive that slow!