whats the difference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have changed every fluid on my KJ except the ****** fluid. My question is, whats the difference between a ****** flush and fill and just droping the pan, and changing it that way? or is it the same?

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am no expert, but from what i have read on here when you just drop the pan and change the filters and fill it up your really only changing about half the fluid.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all you do is drop the pan and swap filters, you're only changing out 4 qts of fluid. There is still a pile of it in the torque converter, the cooler and the lines to the cooler and back, plus whatever remains in the valvebody. A full on flush and fill is about 8 qts. Thats for the 42rle, the 45rle needs about 13.5qts when empty.

Theres some guys who think you can get away with swapping out a couple of quarts at a time through the dipstick, don't waste your time.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have changed every fluid on my KJ except the ****** fluid. My question is, whats the difference between a ****** flush and fill and just droping the pan, and changing it that way? or is it the same?

flush and fill = sucking out all the old and filling with new ,several quarts
dropping the pan and changing the filter will only change 3-4 quarts ,IIRC
best to do both
flush and fill first then drop pan and replace filter
or
drop pan and replace filter
while pan is down install drain plug in pan
every oil change also drain and fill trans pan
over time you will change out the dirty fluid with fresh and change the filter ever 36K

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would a home do it yourself'er do a flush and fill? also how strong or the ******'s they put in the KJs? Are they known to have problems? I wish they could of put the AW-4's that they put in the XJs in these things...

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol I guess my question is, how do you get that excess fluid out of the lines because just pulling the pan isn't gonna get it out right?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could
pull the return line off ,rubber end
put it into a 5 gallon bucket
have a buddy get in Jeep and turn the key to on
put trans in Neutral
then while watching the line have him start the engine ,HOLD THE LINE
and presto out with the old ,fast
as soon as it stops coming out turn off the Jeep
fill as normal

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
really? is that so ? if thats all it takes i think that 95 and i might need to arrange a local ****** service party...

hmm sounds dirty.. har har har

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really? is that so ? if thats all it takes i think that 95 and i might need to arrange a local ****** service party...

hmm sounds dirty.. har har har

lol rock on man lets plan it...

On another note does the ****** have its own computer, different from the motor?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, the TCM I think. (****** Control Module)

KJ ******'s are pretty good in general, since you have an 04 you have the 42RLE. Can't say I know of either ****** (45RFE, 02, some 03's) on this board failing.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
you could
pull the return line off ,rubber end
put it into a 5 gallon bucket
have a buddy get in Jeep and turn the key to on
put trans in Neutral
then while watching the line have him start the engine ,HOLD THE LINE
and presto out with the old ,fast
as soon as it stops coming out turn off the Jeep
fill as normal

So does this really work for a ****** service?

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score

KJ ******'s are pretty good in general, since you have an 04 you have the 42RLE. Can't say I know of either ****** (45RFE, 02, some 03's) on this board failing.

There have been a few transmissions that have failed, both 45RFEs and 42RLEs.

Simple fact of life...you have 800,000 KJs on the road, bound to have one or two:p

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There have been a few transmissions that have failed, both 45RFEs and 42RLEs.

Simple fact of life...you have 800,000 KJs on the road, bound to have one or two:p

No, as we all know Mass production means all are perfect, require no maintenance, and out last the owner...:p :D

I can't recall anyone on here having to replace one.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
lol rock on man lets plan it...

On another note does the ****** have its own computer, different from the motor?

45RFE KJs are the only ones with a separate TCM and ECM.

42RLE (03+) all have a PCM (powertrain control module)

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does this really work for a ****** service?

I think TJKJ will chime in, but I don't think it would be safe and you might need 3 people anyway, one pouring in the fresh fluid as you do it. I just don't know about running it dry. On the other hand, if it is safe, let me know when the party is. :)

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
i was immed by someone else that told me that this wasnt advisable. but TJKJs opinion on this is definetly welcome.

Boiler

Reaction score
I bought my own fluid, had it flushed, and they charged me $60 for the flushing only. Then I dropped the pan, changed the filter. So it runs me about $150-$200 to do it this way, after considering roughly 20 qts of fluid (don't forget the TC while you're at it.)

To me, that is a lot better than 1) jacking around with it, 2) gambling with your transmission, 3) buying 5 qts every 3,000 miles and trying to change it over time.

My plan is to do the whole process every 30k, and just filter change ever 15 in between. So basically about $100 bucks a year trans service. To do it every oil change will cost that, and you'll still have some of the dirt in there.

$5 a week and you can change all your fluids, with Mobil 1, at the shortest intervals or sooner. Or you can spend 3-4 dollars a week and cut corners with your expensive drivetrain. Not worth it.