What's the big deal about 4.10's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For starters, my Jeep came with 4.10's from the factory (as part of the towing package.) I know for a fact it has this gear ratio because it specifically states so on the spec sheet.

Anyhow, why is it so many people desire to have 4.10's? Is it for off-roading or towing purposes? If it's for off-roading, how much does having this lower gear ratio help?

Also, I'm curious, do I have 4.10's in both the front and rear differentials?

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes 4.10 all the way... Be it for tow OR off-road is all the same ... more torque / pulling power. Thus making gas mileage getting a rest even when u put on some big wheels (heavier wheels = more strength from engine to spin'em). Anyway, if u bought a jeep you didnt intend on speeding to 250 km/h right ? Torque it is ...

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The towing package has nothing to do with the gears as mine has the towing package and has 3.73 gears. The towing package is the hitch, trailer wiring, and radiator fan cooling system. (from what i have found)

The 4.10 gears are so you can run larger tires without loosing gas mileage and power. You see larger tires effectivly makes your Jeep have a lower gearing as the tires rotate less to go the same distance. In order to maintain good power and MPG one you get large tires you need to regear.

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks.

I still have the window sticker that came with my Jeep and one of the things it mentions under the towing package option is 4.10 gears. I guess I just figured if you had the towing package, that meant you also had 4.10 gears.

Note to Back-n-Black: I actually live in Seattle now (I forgot to change my profile.) Anyhow, I'd like to check out your KJ some time. It sounds like you've got it really tricked out.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure you have 4.10's?Build sheets and window stickers are widely known to be wrong. Might want to check the metal tags on the rear diff cover bolts,they will say the gear ratio that is inside.Minus a few early export 2.5 CRD's the only way to get 4.10's in a KJ was to get the 4 cylinder gas engine.Tow package has nothing to do with what gear ratio you got in a KJ or a KK.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks.

I still have the window sticker that came with my Jeep and one of the things it mentions under the towing package option is 4.10 gears. I guess I just figured if you had the towing package, that meant you also had 4.10 gears.

Note to Back-n-Black: I actually live in Seattle now (I forgot to change my profile.) Anyhow, I'd like to check out your KJ some time. It sounds like you've got it really tricked out.

Cool deal man. Always glad to have another Local guy. Mine is not very tricked out yet, just some little stuff. But one of the guys up here has his decked to the hilt!!! Despes is his screen name (i think) not sure if he is on this site or just LOST.

Since your local check out http://www.pnwjeep.net/forum/index.php It is all jeeps and there is a ton of local shop advice, local trail runs and get togethers. When we do local trail runs and go out wheeling this is the site we all post on. Look forward to meeting up with ya and talking jeep dude.

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would bet $100 that it did not come factory with 4.10's
you have a 3.7 limited ,same KJ as my wife
you have or it came factory with 3.73's
look for the tag
if not there turn the tires
1 tire turn = 4+ drive shaft turns with 4.10's
1 tire turn = 3.75 drive shaft turns with 3.73's
this means you have to look close

and your question about front and rear
you had better have the same front and rear

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool deal man. Always glad to have another Local guy. Mine is not very tricked out yet, just some little stuff. But one of the guys up here has his decked to the hilt!!! Despes is his screen name (i think) not sure if he is on this site or just LOST.

Since your local check out www.pnwjeeps.com It is all jeeps and there is a ton of local shop advice, local trail runs and get togethers. When we do local trail runs and go out wheeling this is the site we all post on. Look forward to meeting up with ya and talking jeep dude.

Site for the PNWJeep forum is PNWJeep Forum. Oh and you forgot about me screwy.gif :D

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My thought was the 4.10's were only avaliable on the 2.4l gas. Mine has the tow package and it has 3.73's. And yes, it would be on both diffs. :D

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure you have 4.10's?Build sheets and window stickers are widely known to be wrong. Might want to check the metal tags on the rear diff cover bolts,they will say the gear ratio that is inside.Minus a few early export 2.5 CRD's the only way to get 4.10's in a KJ was to get the 4 cylinder gas engine.Tow package has nothing to do with what gear ratio you got in a KJ or a KK.

I would bet $100 that it did not come factory with 4.10's
you have a 3.7 limited ,same KJ as my wife
you have or it came factory with 3.73's
look for the tag
if not there turn the tires
1 tire turn = 4+ drive shaft turns with 4.10's
1 tire turn = 3.75 drive shaft turns with 3.73's
this means you have to look close

and your question about front and rear
you had better have the same front and rear

My thought was the 4.10's were only avaliable on the 2.4l gas. Mine has the tow package and it has 3.73's. And yes, it would be on both diffs. :D

All three of you were right. I just got my KJ serviced and while I was there I had the service advisor print me the build list for my KJ. Sure enough, it says I've got 3.73's. The window sticker definitely said 4.10's though. Time to change my signature.