Whats a fair used price for a Trac Lok?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a complete rear differential and axle with the track lok, upper control arm , brake callipers and brake lines for $400. Remove old differential and axle. install replacement. Took me 2 hours. I ended up rebuilding the upper control arm that came with the replacement differential. Before removing the old one.
The problem I had was finding a liberty in a salvage yard that had the TL LSD. Took me 2 months of every other week and 7 salvage yards and 20+ liberty's to find one that had the TL LSD. All renegade's came standard with the TL.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like we off road in very similar ways. I'm not completely averse to mud, but I worry about breaking stuff and high centering my diff where the guys that drive monster trucks rut mud pits out. I actually get out and use sticks to measure the depth and try to locate ruts and soft spots lol...some people like to just slam into them n go...not me lol.

I will let yall know...I have just recently been looking for used trac loks...if I can get one for cheap I'll prolly pick it up and sit on it till I get the money to pUT it in (after bigger tires yall) or find someone I trust to help me install. I never worked on trucks before I put my lift on, but like working on dirtbikes it's actually kind of fun!

If you're going to break anything, it'll be the cv axle joints first. In some cases, the front diff casing will break, not uncommon, but not frequent either. Other than that, it's going to be a case of high-centering like you said; come crashing down onto your transmission pan or smashing rockers into something.

Skid guards are your friend in that case.

nnote

Reaction score
If you have the ESP, it's already doing what the Trak-loc would do. Even if you turn it off in the snow, to let you accelerate more, the part that is equivalent to the Trak-loc is still functioning.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not true.

Yeah, I have the original 05 sales brochure from when I bought my KJ. In it there is a separate option for the "offroad package". It included skids, hooks, rock rails, and trac-loc. (For the 05 model). So it looks like it was possible to find one without that package although most dealers probably ordered their Renegades with the "off-road package"

Dave

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have the original 05 sales brochure from when I bought my KJ. In it there is a separate option for the "offroad package". It included skids, hooks, rock rails, and trac-loc. (For the 05 model). So it looks like it was possible to find one without that package although most dealers probably ordered their Renegades with the "off-road package"

Dave

My 05 Renegade did not come with the trac-loc (added it later.) I did not have "offroad package" on my build sheet but the skids, hooks, and rails were under "optional equipment." But my factory build sheet also said I had the larger 20.5 gallon gas tank too, which it definitely does not.

sparky27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the ESP, it's already doing what the Trak-loc would do. Even if you turn it off in the snow, to let you accelerate more, the part that is equivalent to the Trak-loc is still functioning.

Oh wow I did not know that!

nnote

Reaction score
Oh wow I did not know that!

It's the reason the limited slip was dropped from 06 on, because the ESP was now the standard.

Do a quick google search for jeep esp and there's a number of places that describe how it works.

I was considering getting a locker (wasn't used to a jeep without one) but took my liberty to a trail and the ESP did quite a fine job of acting like a locker. I was impressed. My money is best spent elsewhere and let the ESP do it's job.

sparky27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the reason the limited slip was dropped from 06 on, because the ESP was now the standard.

Do a quick google search for jeep esp and there's a number of places that describe how it works.

I was considering getting a locker (wasn't used to a jeep without one) but took my liberty to a trail and the ESP did quite a fine job of acting like a locker. I was impressed. My money is best spent elsewhere and let the ESP do it's job.

Niice! 17 posts and dropping knowledge already! That is very helpful information nnote. Do you know if it does this for front and back or rear only?

Pushover554

Reaction score
I have a 2005 liberty crd and would like to know how to make it work better than the Trac lock it has now for off roading?

nnote

Reaction score
Niice! 17 posts and dropping knowledge already! That is very helpful information nnote. Do you know if it does this for front and back or rear only?

I believe it works on both axles

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The light offroad it's okay at best but the strain it can place on your brakes should be monitored so you don't loose brakes under heavy use.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great information!! If a used spool costs 400$ why not just buy a whole new trac lok unit for 400 bucks?
$400 was for the complete axle assembly not justvthe spool. It was a direct bolt in.

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my trac lok differential at 198,000 miles. The LSD was still working perfectly. The pinion bearing was going and the spider gears were toast.
You can not buy the spider gears separately. The ONLY way to get them is to buy a new trac lok spool. I replaced mine with one with 95,000 miles. Got it for $400 out of an 05 renegade. Works perfectly.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

I have a pic just like this of mine right in the middle of my whole complex parking lot! [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk