What would this do? Boost for Gas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It appears to be a device for injecting water / methonal into the intake side of the engine. The therories on how this helps your fuel economy have been around for years. I've seen them set up as simple "bubbler bottles" on older carburated engines - now it appears they have gone Hi-Tech.

Here are some of the claims from the past on how they "help" improve mileage.

1. They evaporating water mist in the intake helps cool the incoming air allowing it to be denser and contain more oxygen. More oxygen = better burn = better mileage.

2. For carburated engines, the water vapor was supposed to help atomize the fuel better. The point was usually made about how fuel would spread out around the circumfrance of the water droplets. This usually include a demonstration of how a couple drops of gasoline in a pan of water spread out over the surface of the water.

3. The water turns to steam in the cumbustion chamber, adding the additional power derived from the expansion that takes place during the process. This also helps "steam-clean" the cylinder/valves keeping the engine cleaner and more efficient.

This one is my favorite-
4. "Added" benifits could be attained by adding "Alcohol" to the water. This was supposed to help in lowering the tempurature (better evaporation), as well as providing an additional "fuel" to the mix.

Now, I'm not going to comment on the validity of any of these claims. I do know that when the octain levels of fuel dropped (gas crunch of the 70's for those not born yet) many people with the older higher compression engines of the 60's were using water injection as a way of preventing engine knock.

I too experimented with a "bubler bottle" as a way to help prevent vapor lock / knocking on a '69 Ford I owned. Living in Arizona, underhood temperatures can cause all sorts of problems. But, I had more success with a home-made cold air intake set-up.

Over the years I've seen all kinds of gadgets for fuel economy. One even had the fuel line "pre-heated" with the hot water from the heater hose in order to "expand" the gasoline and therfore make a gallon go farther, as well as atomize better. Can you imagine what that would do for vapor-lock?:pp:

Anyway, the big problem now is that your engine is computer controlled. If changes in the air/fuel mixture are detected (thats what the O2 sensors do) the engine can re-adjust (de-tune) itself to perform as it was intended. I'ts even possible it may throw a check-engine light in the process.

The old adage still applies "Buyer Beware". It does seem that the stakes are higher now. In the old days these "gadgets" were usually around $75.00 to $100.00. But now with a tank of gas creaping towards that. the cost of saving fuel has gone up too...

TJKJ makes a good point also!

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like that will just lighten your wallet by $699+s&h.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I realize that fuel prices are rising and many are looking for ways to extend distance per tank. The magic fix will not come from the gizmo department rather than from a lighter foot and a Jeep Diet. Many have resorted to having a smaller car or motorcycle for their basic travels and use the KJ for the intended heavy duty 4x4 duties. AS a daily driver the KJ is a safe vehicle, but not fuel economical. I was one of the guys that thought the V-6 should get 30mpg on the highway. On my last trip I was able to manage 23+ mpg on the highway, staying to 55 mph after a fresh plugs,throttle body cleaner, new synthetic oil and 4 lbs up on tires. I now average $60 per week in fuel just between work and home. If I was commuting long distances, I would have to consider a compact that would have about 35+ mpg on highway.
Some simply don't care, have enough $ to fill the tank and drive it until its empty as their daily driver.
Chrysler has stated that the next gen of Liberties must go on a diet if they are to continue with that line. In reality I am glad we have a generation of heavier Jeeps that perform well, are safe, and to heck with economy.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like that will just lighten your wallet by $699+s&h.

Dave

Well then in theory you would improve your gas mileage by lightening the total weight of the vehicle.

Didn't they use a similar method with WWII fighter aircraft for extra power?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well then in theory you would improve your gas mileage by lightening the total weight of the vehicle.

Yes, in theory you could lighten the load in the jeep by taking out weight and get better fuel economy. But I carry "stuff" in mine that I do not want to take out. Such as a flashlight, fire extinguisher, jack, battery jumper, air compressor and a bunch of other stuff too numerous to list. I know, I am a sicko and everything I have done and want to do adds weight to the jeep. (I could even take out the back seat since no one ever sits back there I guess). But it is a jeep and no matter what you do, you can't change it to an econobox. It is what it is.

As far as WWII fighter aircraft yeah I am sure they made them as light as possible so they could fly faster and carry more ammo/munitions.....haha

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes if you lighten the total weight of the aircraft, you would gain extra performance (PWR), and be able to climb faster for instance, or potentially maintain a cruising speed at a lower rpm due to reduced load, increasing efficiency, depending on altitude, external wind conditions, and fuel mixture.
(PWR) Power to weight Ratio:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-to-weight_ratio
More info: http://cars.about.com/cs/newcarprofiles/a/carspec_explain.htm
Considering the KJ is heavy, not very aerodynamic, 3 spd automatic with OD,poor gear ratios, and we like larger tires,lots of skids and accessories,loading it with half our home and off road gear, it does pretty good.
Here is proof of having fun & poor gas mileage!!
38800[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• AliceLake00E.jpg
    AliceLake00E.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you are taking about water injection, then yes, I believe they did.

Can't comment on any real-life use (before my time) but I remeber playing a WWII Flight sim one time that had a cockpit switch for the water injector. It was set up like a nitrous system, and was used when more power was needed (like trying to outclimb the enemy on your tail). Not to say they were actually used, but the higher end games usually try to be as realistic as possible...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes water/methanol injection can make some big HP increases.................

On a non-FI engine,more for turbo charged,super charged,and high compression engines the owners like to run on the ragged edge of lean fuel mixtures.

On modern FI engines it will not do anything but damage your cats.