What to torque to?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So anyone that has seen my members journal knows I'm having to replace somethings in the lower side of my engine. Anyways Saturday I will have it all back in and running but first the only thing I don't have is the torque specs for the rod caps. Does anyone know what they are supposed to be torqued to??

Thanks!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So anyone that has seen my members journal knows I'm having to replace somethings in the lower side of my engine. Anyways Saturday I will have it all back in and running but first the only thing I don't have is the torque specs for the rod caps. Does anyone know what they are supposed to be torqued to??

Thanks!

What SnailFarmer said.

But beware - the rod cap bolts are Torque To Yield (TTY) bolts and CANNOT be reused.

A TTY bolt is designed to stretch to hold the proper torque. By reusing the bolts you run the risk of the bolts failing and leading to ugly things in your engine.

The only place I could find the proper bolts was at the dealership - they are not carried by any of the auto parts distributors as far as I could determine. They ran me $1.20 or so - I bought 16 of them in case I needed an extra set (which I did - stupidity on my part.)

Bob

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember that Tom and a 360 would have been a doughnut and if I did a 180 I would be going in the opposite direction.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean go back then go 90 ?

Once you've torqued the new TTY bolts (!) to 20 ft/lbs you then tighten the bolt an additional 90 degrees by turning the torque wrench 90 degrees more after the torque wrench clicks.

I can't say it strongly enough: Unless you are using new TTY bolts your engine will self-destruct due to rod caps loosening and bearing failure.

From the Factory Service Manual:

CAUTION: Connecting Rod Bolts are Torque to
Yield Bolts and Must Not Be Reused. Always
replace the Rod Bolts whenever they are loosened
or removed.

(10) Lubricate rod bolts and bearing surfaces with
engine oil. Install connecting rod cap and bearing.
Tighten bolts to 27 N·m (20 ft. lbs.) plus 90°.
(11) Install the following components:
• Cylinder head(s). (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/CYLINDER
HEAD - INSTALLATION).
• Timing chain and cover. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/
VALVE TIMING/TIMING BELT / CHAIN COVER(S)
- INSTALLATION).
• Cylinder head covers (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/
CYLINDER HEAD/CYLINDER HEAD COVER(S) -
INSTALLATION).
• Oil pan and gasket/windage tray. (Refer to 9 -
ENGINE/LUBRICATION/OIL PAN - INSTALLATION).
(12) Fill crankcase with proper engine oil to correct
level.
(13) Connect negative cable to battery.

You've been warned...

Bob