What tints should I get??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UKKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am getting tints fitted to my KJ..

Whats the opinion on the best degree of tint and colour to have??

The front tints have to be very subtle, as officer dibble doesn't like front tints!!

Cheers
Mark

Derek Mc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just been in to my local place too I was told the front has an opacity level reduction of 26%, legally on front side and screen 30% is the legal limit and in Scotland they are having a severe crackdown instead of 7 days to remove it's now an automatic 3 points #-o
At the rear i am going to go second darkest shade of grey just short of what they call full limo. I was quoted as high as £375 by Pentagon and £200 by my local independant windscreens supplier. Car is going in early December

UKKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy I am happy...

Just had my windows tinted...

30% b pillar back and 56% front....It looks completely factory, and the skill of the tinting guy was A1 and effortless...

Over the moon!! =D>

You must be registered for see images

Will post a pic in the daylight soon

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To: UKKJ

What was the price for the tint job? I was quoted 260 USD last summer for my Liberty in the great state of Maine. Every state in the U.S. has different standards as well for tint darkness/lightness, and the state police here in Maine carry light meters with them. But go to Florida, and you can not even see inside the car, that's OK though.

UKKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Well here you go, the finished product...

...you guys are lucky with your prices...

A decent job over here will cost between £200 and £500!!

PS. First day of real ice and cold in South Yorkshire

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15% front windows and 15% on the windshield, everything else is factory. i love it, makes me feel very important with all the blacked out windows. You can barely see in, and thats only when the sun is shining. Its not as dark as it looks in the pics, its just about perfect.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was also wondering, I have same jeep as you, only Black, and the front clear windshield is really a pain in the a$$ when the sun is right in front of you. I wanted to get 5 inches or so tint at the top like the factory made one.

I am in NY and most of the tint places do the "film tint" which gets rubbed off or peels off, how much did you pay for the front tint?

Thanks and it looks great. I have the same rims as yours, and love those.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What percent is the factory tint?

One thing I want to also clear up... is it higher the percentage, the lighter the tint (like ___% visibility) or do I have it backwards?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Percentage is the amount of lights goes in.
So, %10 is darker than %90.

At least that's what I remember. I am not much of a tinted low-ryder kinda guy, but this should be accurate.

Remember, not all factory tints are legal for everystate. If you buy your jeep in ohio and bring it to NY you may get slapped with tickets. To be on the safe side Jeep does not tint front windows, rather than customizing to each state.
What one should do is, check DMV of your state and find out what is the % tint you can get on front windows. For some reason salvaged cop cars are almost black in the front windows, and if you buy one for like $1000 at an auction you can drive away with dark as black tints, and nobody seems to get a ticket on those.. :-#

*edit:

New York Window Tint Law
New York Tint Law Enacted: 1991
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW YORK?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New York, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
Windshield= Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows= Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows= Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window= Any darkness can be used.
Sticker Requirements= The sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on each tinted window.
http://www.tintcenter.com/

Latest posts

Members online