What Speed Is Safe to Swith Driving Modes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JK2KJ

Reaction score
I recently just purchased a 2004 Renegade and It didn't come with a manual. So im not sure at what speed or Gear to switch between Normal, Part Time and so on.

With my JK it was safe to switch on the fly at any speed under 80 KM but Im not sure what is safe for the KJ

Need some advise asap I want to make sure Im not messing up My New Jeep

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can switch from 2WD to 4HI at any speed under 55MPH.
You can switch to 4lo at any speed under 3MPH.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Here is a section from my 2004 owners manual:

STARTING AND OPERATING 225
4L
4-Wheel-Drive Low Range - Low speed 4 wheel drive.
Locks the front and rear driveshafts together. Forces the
front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed.
Additional traction and maximum pulling power for
loose, slippery road surfaces only. Do not exceed 25 mph
(40 km/h). (Allows engine starting without depressing
the clutch pedal on vehicles equipped with manual
transmission. Refer to “Starting Procedures — Manual
Transmission (4WD Models Only)” in this section.
Shifting Procedure
2H to 4H or 4H to 2H
Shifting between 2H and 4H can be made with the
vehicle in motion up to 55 mph (88 km/h). The transfer
case will engage/disengage faster if you momentarily
release the accelerator pedal after completing the shift.
Apply a constant force when shifting the transfer case
lever.
4H to 4L or 4L to 4H
With the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift
an automatic transmission to N (Neutral) or depress the
clutch on a manual transmission. While the vehicle is
coasting at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift the transfer
case lever firmly to the desired position. Do not pause in
transfer case N (Neutral).
NOTE: To shift from 4H to 4L, the shift lever should
pushed away from the driver, and then rearward into 4L.
In 4H, there is a neutral stop to prevent shifting into N
(Neutral) by accident.
NOTE: Pausing in transfer case N (Neutral) in vehicles
equipped with an automatic transmission may require
shutting the engine OFF to avoid gear clash while
completing the shift. If difficulty occurs, shift automatic
transmission to N (Neutral), hold foot on brake, and turn
engine OFF. Make shift to the desired mode.

Hope that helps!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You can switch from 2WD to 4HI at any speed under 55MPH.
You can switch to 4lo at any speed under 3MPH.

x2, except I thought you could shift into 4lo at any speed under 5mph, slightly coastsing with the ****** in neutral.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently just purchased a 2004 Renegade and It didn't come with a manual. So im not sure at what speed or Gear to switch between Normal, Part Time and so on.

With my JK it was safe to switch on the fly at any speed under 80 KM but Im not sure what is safe for the KJ

Need some advise asap I want to make sure Im not messing up My New Jeep

I'd like to add to some of the answers here. There's not only the speed at which you can switch, but the maximum speed which you can drive in that mode.

50-55mph is the max speed to drive while in 4hi. 20mph or around 32km is the max speed while driving in 4lo.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'd like to add to some of the answers here. There's not only the speed at which you can switch, but the maximum speed which you can drive in that mode.

50-55mph is the max speed to drive while in 4hi. 20mph or around 32km is the max speed while driving in 4lo.
Where's that listed?

I've never seen it anywhere in any official documentation....

LibertyTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting at around page 222 of the 04 owners manual it talks about 2w, 4w hi, lo and max speeds and shifting into N and about towing behind an RV

CAUTION!
² Do not attempt to make a shift while only the
front or rear wheels are spinning. The Command-
Trac transfer case is not equipped with a synchronizer
and therefore the front and rear driveshaft
speeds must be equal for the shift to take place.
Shifting while only the front or rear wheels are
spinning can cause damage to the transfer case.
² When operating your vehicle in 4L, the engine
speed is approximately three times that of the 2H
or 4H positions at a given road speed. Take care
not to overspeed the engine and do not exceed 25
mph (40 km/h).

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That is not true at all.In 4hi(part time) you can drive to any speed as long as it is on a slippery surface(not wet pavement) with no fear of damage.Full time 4wd you can drive at any speed safely on any surface,you shouldn't from the fact the t-case fluid will heat up very fast but you can.In 4low you can also go as fast as you want on a slippery surface without damage,you will just bounce of the rev limiter which will not harm the engine in any way(that's why it is there).

I've been in deep mud before and in 4low at WOT,tires where spinning and the speedo was reading well over 90mph,never damaged anything,t-case still works perfectly and no noise or shifting problems.Those recommendations(all they are) is to keep it idiot proof.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is not true at all.In 4hi(part time) you can drive to any speed as long as it is on a slippery surface(not wet pavement) with no fear of damage.Full time 4wd you can drive at any speed safely on any surface,you shouldn't from the fact the t-case fluid will heat up very fast but you can.In 4low you can also go as fast as you want on a slippery surface without damage,you will just bounce of the rev limiter which will not harm the engine in any way(that's why it is there).

I've been in deep mud before and in 4low at WOT,tires where spinning and the speedo was reading well over 90mph,never damaged anything,t-case still works perfectly and no noise or shifting problems.Those recommendations(all they are) is to keep it idiot proof.

Come on man

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, not sure if I could go 90mph in 4low or not. I would never let my ****** go into OD in 4low so that engine would need to spin much faster than 5600rpms. You running a nascar engine tjkj?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

And were you listening to Waylon Jennings "The Good Ol' Boys" from The Dukes of Hazzard at the time? Your Kj is the right colour! :D:D:D
Yeee Haw!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online