What Size Roof Rack/Basket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
So how do you carry a plus size spare?

Same way as your thin girlfriend, I suppose. :boobs:

Oh - you meant TIRES!!!! :happy175:

By the way, my scholarship dough is scheduled for about two weeks from now. The roof rack may not be the first thing I do, but it is pretty high on the list.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was $89.89 shipped from Amazon its 50x38x5 includes the crossbars and it holds my weight (at 250lbs I'd consider that strong lol) the only problem is it didn't come with instructions but everyone that bought one said they didn't get instructions either but trust me its not hard to put together especially if you watch the video
You must be registered for see images attach

EDIT: Here's a video of that very same rack I bought on a 2004 Jeep Liberty on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwYw1KcqFnw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
depends on which way you have your bracket turned
also even if it does hit for some reason, just make brackets to move it up an inch and out an inch / problem solved

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's only about an inch wider than a 245/75/16 so a half inch closer to the tailgate depending on the backspacing of the wheel. I can still get my arm behind the 245 with factory wheel.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI: here's some Pros & Cons

Pros: you'll have more storage space for carrying stuff, you can mount extra lights and it looks cool

Cons: your gas mileage will suffer and depending on your choice of trails overhead branches will catch on the rack
Maybe you can find a roof rack with a faring to deflect air & branches.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't run a wind fairing on my basket. I didn't lose mileage because of it. I did increase a little in wind noise, but it's nothing the tires or the radio doesn't fix. :D

Yes, the branches hang up off-road sometimes... but the jeep and the basket is stronger than the tree, so I've always won that battle. ;)

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was $89.89 shipped from Amazon its 50x38x5 includes the crossbars and it holds my weight (at 250lbs I'd consider that strong lol) the only problem is it didn't come with instructions but everyone that bought one said they didn't get instructions either but trust me its not hard to put together especially if you watch the video
You must be registered for see images attach

EDIT: Here's a video of that very same rack I bought on a 2004 Jeep Liberty on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwYw1KcqFnw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Do you have a link to the amazon listing?

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet! I like the idea of the lights! You have any pics of it installed

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score

I like the lights, too. They look like they were designed as part of the rack and not just bolted on there as an afterthought. :cheers:

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Nope, I bought it and before it got here I stacked a rod bearing. I'm going tomorrow to buy a long list of parts from Autozone to start rebuilding the bottom end of my engine. As soon as I get it back on the road I'll get y'all some pics!

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We like our Rola on homemade 3/4 gas pipe cross rails bolted to the stock rails (which will hold 150#'s). Not very far off the roof, looks good, not much wind noise, a slight decrease in mileage per tank on the highway but a non-issue. Somewhere on here I have a write-up how I made the cross rails.

Attachments

• Jeep KJ 02 (3)b.JPG
    Jeep KJ 02 (3)b.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 63

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got this over in my Member Journal, (http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f222/profdlps-2007-liberty-project-54355/) but thought I'd ask here since I hope to order in the next day or so.

OK, dumb question #362:

Concerning this rack:

Amazon.com: 62.5" Roof Luggage Cargo Storage Rack with Fairing: Rage Powersports: Automotive

It measures 62.5 x 45 x 6.2 inches. I measured the rails and the separation between them is 41" at the front and 39" at the rear (I.D.) Being as this rack is 45" wide, is there any reason I couldn't U-Bolt the rack directly to the rails and forego the crossbars altogether?

You must be registered for see images

This one seems to have a finer wire grid at the base so I might look for one with a sturdier bottom on it.

Would this work?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got this over in my Member Journal, (http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f222/profdlps-2007-liberty-project-54355/) but thought I'd ask here since I hope to order in the next day or so.

OK, dumb question #362:

Concerning this rack:

Amazon.com: 62.5" Roof Luggage Cargo Storage Rack with Fairing: Rage Powersports: Automotive

It measures 62.5 x 45 x 6.2 inches. I measured the rails and the separation between them is 41" at the front and 39" at the rear (I.D.) Being as this rack is 45" wide, is there any reason I couldn't U-Bolt the rack directly to the rails and forego the crossbars altogether?

You must be registered for see images

This one seems to have a finer wire grid at the base so I might look for one with a sturdier bottom on it.

Would this work?

Yes and no
Depending on the construction, how you are going to use it etc
But its a lot better idea than having then 10 inches above the roof line :emotions33::emotions33: