what scan tool to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iavlx

Reaction score
hi everyone,i just bought a 2006 liberty renegade in august,i think it's a great truck.i was thinking about buying a scan tool from harbor freight and was wondering which one to get.i know about obd 2 but what about the obd 2/can.

thanks,dave

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
screw the Harbor Freight tool...

www.autotap.com. They don't have enhanced parameters for my 2007 KJ, but even the basic parameters have a good deal of info - more than the harbor freight/autozone scanners.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought an Innova branded scan tool from Wal-Mart last year, does a good job reading and resetting codes, comes with website support if you need to look stuff up by make and model, etc...

I've played with the Cen-Tech ones that Harbor Freight sells, it really depends on what your needs are, if all you need to do is read and clear trouble codes their $60 works great for that, its about the same as my Innova, doesnt need a battery, just reads and clears trouble codes.

If you want one that can do a bit more of the diagnostics such as seeing real time data from the vehicle then your better off with the one they sell for $119.99, that one lets you see real time streaming data, handy if your trying to troubleshoot something thats intermittent because you can see the data change.

Or you can spend $50-$100 on the Innova brand ones that Wal-Mart carries, again on the lower end of the price range is basically a code reader that also lets you clear codes, on the higher end you can get one that shows real time data, lets you store stuff, and even connect it to your computer to print out data. The Cen-Tech lets you do that also, the one for $119.99 from Harbor Freight is the one a few shops around here have for basic troubleshooting and i have used it, works good.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Innova scan tool kb is talking about I think. They make different models. It is the model #3100 if I remember right and seems to work ok as I have used it on 3 different vehicles. (2 GM vehicles and a Jeep) It is not a professional one by any means but it works. Solus is much better. Real professional ones are $$$$$.

Dave

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Heard you can control shuttle launches with that sucker too.

And play the entire catalogue of the Super Nintendo :p

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heard you can control shuttle launches with that sucker too.

And play the entire catalogue of the Super Nintendo :p
Yeah it's the best one out there,if you had access to the OEM web sites you could even do OEM programming(from what I've heard) among being able to watch TV and download movies from netflix(bowdown).

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Digimoto that plugs into the OBD2 port and a USB port on my laptop. I can plug it in and read all the streaming data. It will also clear codes, has a dyno mode, quarter mile mode, etc. It won't reprogram it though, but B&G took care of that for me.

4 ace's

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the snap-on modis and the micro vat still have my brick snap-on mt2500 thats because snap-on wont give you sh#t for it . but you not using it for work just your self i always like the obd2 you can pick them up cheap if you look around .

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KYLiberty how much does yours cost about ?

They're on sale for $90. They were $120 back when I bought mine.

http://www.digimoto.com/shop/Category/2-obdii-packages.aspx

It's easy to use, and the shock and awe factory is great. The CEL came on in mine with a small EVAP leak that I already knew about. I'm still trying to track it down since the weather hasn't been cooperating. A guy from the office was in the back seat and saw it come on. He thought I didn't know anything about cars and he never stops parroting slightly incorrect info. He started spouting information on how I was going to have to get the motor replaced and how he "heard this" and "felt this". I pulled over and asked him to hand me my notebook.:D

Also, they have a $20 tool to read and reset codes.

http://www.digimoto.com/shop/Products/16-obdii-code-reader.aspx

Last edited:

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
screw the Harbor Freight tool...

www.autotap.com. They don't have enhanced parameters for my 2007 KJ, but even the basic parameters have a good deal of info - more than the harbor freight/autozone scanners.

Are you sure the AutoTap doesn't have enhanced parameters? I haven't tried it on my '05 KJ because I haven't needed it. It did have it for my wife's 2001 Chrysler 300M and my 2001 Mustang. I did have to buy the enhanced programming and a special Chrysler cable to get it however.
Bruce

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the AutoTap doesn't have enhanced parameters? I haven't tried it on my '05 KJ because I haven't needed it. It did have it for my wife's 2001 Chrysler 300M and my 2001 Mustang. I did have to buy the enhanced programming and a special Chrysler cable to get it however.
Bruce

I have GM enhanced. I questioned them if they'd cover my 2007 Liberty with enhanced and he said at that time (summer 2009), they didn't support enhanced for a 2007 liberty.

Maybe they would for a 2005? Thus far I have seen a few differences with my 2007 than with the 2006 and prior.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
your '07 has throttle by wire. That is going to be a fairly large hurdle. ITBJRC the ECM/harness are as different as they could be from the 06 without going to CAN bus

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have GM enhanced. I questioned them if they'd cover my 2007 Liberty with enhanced and he said at that time (summer 2009), they didn't support enhanced for a 2007 liberty.

Maybe they would for a 2005? Thus far I have seen a few differences with my 2007 than with the 2006 and prior.

Thanks for the update! I didn't realize that.
Bruce

Members online

No members online now.