What kind of preventative care can I do for a newly bough high mile (170k) Liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cont'd from this thread for this 03 Jeep Liberty Limited:
You must be registered for see images attach

I am going to do an oil change for high miles, rear brakes, 4 good but used tires, and this:
You must be registered for see images

Anything else recommended?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd change ALL of your fluids as you don't know when it was done last - oil, front/rear differentials, transmission, transfer case, coolant... and if you're feeling really ambitious, I'd probably bleed the brake system and siphon out and refill the power steering reservoir. A change of spark plugs would be a good idea as well.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What YC said, all of it
Then I would have it up on jackstand after doing all of the fluids, pull and check all of the brakes check tie rod ends/ball joints anything that is a wear item. Check the belt, hoses I would actually replace them when I replaced the antifreeze
Make sure you use the right antifreeze, ATF fluids etc
I know I'd be under/over/inside/outside of it for the next two days :happy175:
THEN start waxing / cleaning :whip:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Also inspect the serpentine belt for edge wear and cracks. At that kind of mileage the original Quality dealer EPDM belt should have been replaced once by now.
If you are in need of a new belt see the dealer or Gates part# K060863 or 85528721 product #.
The tensioner assembly should be replaced with Dayco: 89254Rock Auto $38
Look for oil leaks at drive train / drive shafts, seals/ cv/s / & cover's/pans etc.

Last edited:

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it to a shop for an oil change.

They looked everything over and said the fluids were good. I had a vacuum leak and they took care of it free of charge.

I was told by the previous owner and the mechanic confirmed that the front has new ball joints, new transmission pan, and brakes all around are good.

He did have to put a tie rod on the front left of the Jeep.

It was $100 out the door which was less than I thought the bill would be.

Also got a couple used tires for under $60.

Q: He said he doesn't do wheel alignments but that I should get one after having the tie rod put in....The Jeep seems to drive straight...Is it really necessary to do a wheel alignment if the Jeep drives relatively straight?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
YES after tie rod replacement, an alignment is required.
Since you live in a winter region, I am sure you are just trying to get by for now by getting a couple of used tires, but honestly, save for some new All-terrain tires or better. What tires were installed brand/name?
This is a heavier SUV class and all season radials offer limited grip on wet surfaces, and when it comes to snow, you want a snowflake rated tire. When I first got my KJ I did not wait after slipping around on the GoodYear ST (or SRA) all season radials, to replace them immediately with GoodYear Wrangler silent Armors. Not only will you find new tires in the AT class to provide more grip, but way better stopping ability as well.
Also by buying used tires do you know how old they are? 6 years+ can be dangerous!
see this video! http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/aged-tires-driving-hazard-4826897
Safety where the rubber meets the road!
Kevlar belted the silent Armor's are snow flake rated as well. You get what ya pay for.
41209[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• GoodYearSilentArmor1.jpg
    GoodYearSilentArmor1.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 0

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles do you have on your silent armors? I just got mine two months ago and was wondering how they wear, I have about 1k on mine :D

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be checking what Transmission you have. Look under at the crossmember beneath the transmission. Is it a straight piece or angled?

If it looks like this you're in luck:

If the cross-member is straight then nevermind you have the "newer" transmission. Would just be interesting to know.

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be checking what Transmission you have. Look under at the crossmember beneath the transmission. Is it a straight piece or angled?

If the cross-member is straight then nevermind you have the "newer" transmission. Would just be interesting to know.

I'll get back to you on that. It's the wife's ride and she is at work 'till late tonight.

Tarikleesimsek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything s been said nicely! Good luck with them! It looks so nice though! Congratulations and drive safe!

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mine looks like this....So is this the newer or older transmission? Why is it better or worse?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats!! You have the 45rfe! One of the few '03s with it. It is better for many reasons. Just look around on here.

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took her in for a wheel alignment at Belle Tire (have a $30 off $50 coupon)..

I told them to check into the noise it makes while driving. If you have the windows down you can hear a rubbing sound. Almost like a light piece of metal was dragging across the ground.

They said the front drive shaft is loose and pretty much gone :893Chainsaw-Smilie-

He said it would be roughly $800 to fix. :893Chainsaw-Smilie-

I know they drastically over price.

So I called another shop (mom and pop type place) and they said it was no big deal at all. You get a used one for cheap and it's not an expensive fix.

My cousin could probably do it and he wouldn't charge me.

So that is today's update :shrug:

I see them on car-part for $150 to $300 for the part...

Aside from the rubbing noise, how important is it to get this fixed?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
80% of the ones you get out of the yards are junk needing the rear CV replaced due to the boot going south, same thing that has happened to the one you have more than likely, so like Jayme stated rebuild yours, 15/20 minute job and you're done

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, good and bad news.

Good news: Went to Belle Tire and got a wheel alignment. Cost was about $47 with tax. Printed a coupon online for $30 off of $50...So bought a Mother's Protectant Spray to put me over the $50 amount and spent about $28 for everything.

Bad news: I put Jeep in reverse and go 3 feet and hear really funny noises. Decide before I leave I'll drive another 15 feet in the parking lot. Funny noises, squeeking on turns. Just 100% different from the way I brought it in.

They look at it, climb under, and say the drive shaft is forcing the 4x4 to engage. And the driveshaft is literally gonna fall off at any minute.

I was pissed, I told them it's not how I brought the jeep in.

But long story short, I'm gonna tow it to a shop and take care of everything tomorrow. They'll put the driveshaft in for a reasonable price (maybe $100). And I'll get a remanufactured one for $250...

I believe it needed to be done but Belle Tire is basically leaving me with no choice but to do it tomorrow. I was just gonna put it on hold for a while.

I think when they were looking at it they messed with the driveshaft and now it's worse. Either that or the guy who took it on a test drive was playing around with the 4 wheel drive.

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
80% of the ones you get out of the yards are junk needing the rear CV replaced due to the boot going south, same thing that has happened to the one you have more than likely, so like Jayme stated rebuild yours, 15/20 minute job and you're done

The one I am looking at says:
BRAND NEW OEM REFURB 16.5 INCH W EXC

Cost is $250...I was told the driveshaft was really loose and not in repairable condition...I'm gonna tow it over to the shop before buying the parts and see if they agree with the rip-offs at Belle Tire

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one I am looking at says:
BRAND NEW OEM REFURB 16.5 INCH W EXC

Cost is $250...I was told the driveshaft was really loose and not in repairable condition...I'm gonna tow it over to the shop before buying the parts and see if they agree with the rip-offs at Belle Tire

READ THE RESPONSES TO YOUR POST!!!

You don't need an entire driveshaft. Repeat: You DO NOT need an entire driveshaft!! Unless that Jeep you just bought did some serious wheeling or was damaged the driveshaft is fine.

Your issue is almost certainly the rear CV joint, which - as TomMudd said - is a 15 to 20 minute repair and the part will run you around $80. And since your cousin would likely do the labor for free you will be up and running for less than a hundred bucks!

Now...if you choose to pay for a part you don't need that's your decision. But please respond to the responses indicating you at least read them. Thanks.

Bob

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
READ THE RESPONSES TO YOUR POST!!!

You don't need an entire driveshaft. Repeat: You DO NOT need an entire driveshaft!! Unless that Jeep you just bought did some serious wheeling or was damaged the driveshaft is fine.

Your issue is almost certainly the rear CV joint, which - as TomMudd said - is a 15 to 20 minute repair and the part will run you around $80. And since your cousin would likely do the labor for free you will be up and running for less than a hundred bucks!

Now...if you choose to pay for a part you don't need that's your decision. But please respond to the responses indicating you at least read them. Thanks.

Bob

If I can pay $80 instead of $350 for the same result, I am all for it. :happy160:(band)

I'll update, when I get the next update :shrug:

Probably tomorrow afternoon :party52:

Latest posts

Members online