What do you tow with your 5K lb cap'y KK?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeeptarian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my new KK last March with the 5,000 lb Tow Package, I planned to mostly tow 2k lbs max---my folding motorcycle trailer that can open up and carry up to 3 dirt bikes, like I have for years with my 1st-Gen 1990s GC.

I like to have a big margin of tow capacity above what I actually tow, but it's also good to know you could tow more if you need it!

What do you folks tow with your 5k lb capacity KK?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I know, it's not a KK, but I tow THAT with my KJ. :D

that would be an estimated 5800# (weighed in at 10,060#)

I would hope a KK could tow at least as much.

Jeeptarian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is pretty cool, sota, to say the least! Seeing that load by itself, the average person would think we needed a bigger rig than our Libertys to haul it, no?!

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it certainly isn't the fastest accelerating thing on the planet like that, but it'll get up to speed in a reasonable time, will do posted speed limits on the highways around here fairly easily, and can even go faster than my Guardian Angel can fly I suspect. :D

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that Ive never overloaded but, Please consider stopping over getting to speed.
When I've towed more than I should I keep my speed down, and leave a lot of space between me and others.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
both axles are braked and I'm using a MaxBrake controller. controlled stopping is NOT a problem.

QuickSilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Liberty to keep miles off of this...

You must be registered for see images attach

But it's nice to know that I have the capacity to tow her as well!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice Chally!

I've only towed once with the KJ, just a 6x12 Uhaul trailer (double axle), weighed about 3k give or take. Towed from FL up here to WI just fine.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I know, it's not a KK, but I tow THAT with my KJ. :D

that would be an estimated 5800# (weighed in at 10,060#)

I would hope a KK could tow at least as much.

What track do you go to?

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the KK's, what engine/transmission combination is used?

On my KJ I turn off the transmission overdrive while towing to prevent transmission overheating and leave it on cruise control.

Jeeptarian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KKs I'm familiar with have 3.7l SOHC gas V6 and 4-speed automatic, and have what I understand to be a "Tow/Haul" switch that holds ****** in 3rd gear.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I'd guess you are using a load-compensating hitch, sota?

nope. I spent a day towing around the rig and getting the car positioned just right on the trailer so that it tows smooth and stops straight, even under the hardest of braking.

Jeeptarian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Liberty to keep miles off of this...

You must be registered for see images attach

But it's nice to know that I have the capacity to tow her as well!

That's purrdy! Dreaming about that Challenger is gonna make it harder to sleep! Almost too beautiful to drive, and too beautiful not to.

QuickSilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's purrdy! Dreaming about that Challenger is gonna make it harder to sleep! Almost too beautiful to drive, and too beautiful not to.
LOL. Know that feeling. I forced myself to dream about it for 6 months to make sure it wasn't an impulse buy!

But buying the Jeep was actually more challenging (pun intended) in that finding a good used KJ for a fair price, let alone a great price, from a seller who wouldn't flake on you at the last minute was something I hadn't expected. The KJ has been a pleasant surprise both in sturdiness and road performance. I'm really happy I went the Jeep route over a RAV4 or CRV.

jasonm

Reaction score
I've got a 20ft camper with a dry weight of 3700lbs (loaded weight unknown, but I know we don't have 1300lbs of crap in the camper, although we do carry a lot of stuff...). Acceleration and stopping with the 3.7 and a basic trailer brake are no problem. The only issue I have is with the size of the camper. When I set my weight distribution hitch to take enough weight off the tongue that it rides mostly level, I get a lot of buffeting and sway when large semis pass on the interstate (some is to be expected, since I'm pulling a 10ft tall sail behind me, but this is excessive), but when I take it down a link and put a little more weight on the tongue it relieves some of the buffeting/sway issues, but causes a good bit of sag and 'bounce' when I hit big seams in the highway or RR crossings (kind of like riding in an old Caddy with worn out shocks, hitting a bump and feeling like one of those bobble head dolls you get at the ballpark for the next 300 yds). I'm thinking of getting some Air Lift helper springs to see if that helps. Anyone got experience with those on a KK? I'm hoping that with those installed, I can leave a little more weight on the tongue without worrying as much about the sag/bounce issues.

dwilken48

Reaction score
Apologies that I have a KJ, but wanted to post some photos anyway if thats alright...

I tow a 7x12 single-axle utility trailer. To be honest, no idea on the weight. Below is a photo of it loaded up with clothes and food being brought down to Chicago for a donation drove for the typhoon victims in the philippines. The photo is of my girlfriend and myself. The next trailer is my 4x6 lawn mower trailer with my '99 Ducati monster 900S. 3rd photo is my buddy's tricked-out Honda Ruckus. 4th photo is my 6x10 enclosed with my "real" hauler. 2003 Dodge ram 1500. 5.7 hemi w/ 4x4.

Attachments

• IMG_20131113_110714.jpg
    IMG_20131113_110714.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 16
  • facebook_1219502001.jpg
    facebook_1219502001.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20130504_082527.jpg
    IMG_20130504_082527.jpg