What do I need to look for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was looking for a locker for my '02 KJ Sport part-time 4wd and i was wondering what i should be looking for and the size.

can some one tell me what my rear axle is if i post a pic?

anyone know where i can buy a good one cheaply?

i dont know much about my front or rear end axle (Aeh)

thanks for all the help

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that all KJs come with a Dana 30 Rear axle.
Since you're thinking about adding a locker, I take it that you are pretty serious about offroading, since lockers are not a cheap addition to a vehicle.
What I sugguest doing is replacing the axle with something beefier while you're at it with the locker, as this is probally something that you would want to do down the road anyway. I'd say a Dana 44 would serve you well, and there are shops that will assemble the axle with a locker for you, making the whole thing a one-stop shop experience. Dana 44s are what come as standard on Rubicons, and they're a hell of a good axle. If you run with alot of gear in the back alot, you might want to think about even going up to a Dana 60...

Just my thoughts on it though...

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Locker is a difflock, yeah?

Am I right: it locks all the wheels so that they all roll at the same speed? Or is that something different?

Thanks!

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All KJ's have a a 29 spline Chrysler Corporate 8.25 rear diff, the front is a dana d30a. The rear diff is plenty strong enough for the tires we can fit with the lifts available. Of course bigger is usually better.

As far as lockers go...how much do you want to spend.

If you are going to DIY you could get away for less than 400 bucks and go with a powertrax or detroit ez locker. But the onroad manners bother some.

For around 800 maybe a little more you could get the arb air locker which is nice because you can turn it off. Just depends on what you are looking for.

There is also the Detroit Tru-trac which is a gear driven limited slip diff, and works very well. Around 400 also.

www.detroitlocker.com
www.powertrax.com
www.arbusa.com

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the PowerTrax No-Slip and love it. The road manners are ok.. It does make some noises and locks when turning and getting on the gas, which will cause the tires to bark and make them wear alittle quicker.

Kj has Chrysler Corp 8.25 rear axle. Ive heard its as strong as the Dana 44's. O:)

Latest posts

Members online