What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Yesterday, I thought I'd do the prep. for sorting out the back brake that's binding (it was an "advisory" on the MoT/inspection) but it was perfectly free. Anyway, as I'd got the flexi/soft line & caliper overhaul kit, but undoing those connections didn't look like a job to try todo against the clock, so I applied a wire brush & liberal dousing with penetrant, in advance of next weekend, Christmas - or whenever.
However, as I had the wheel off I thought I'd tackle 4 other advisories, the tyres, all of which are showing signs of being past their best before date - but the fronts were worse than the backs. I did have a pair of almost new tyres (on better condition wheels) that I'd picked up 'cos the price was right; soooh, they went on the back, the back ones went on the front (swapping sides while I was at it) & the front ones went in the shed, awaiting refurbing the wheels - & saving up for some tyres: BFG A/T's - at £200 a throw!
A bonus was losing the low speed tremor from the front.
All this feverish activity prompted by there being no trains on Sunday (industrial action - or strike as we know it better) & having to get back to London. So, for the 1st time in a little over a year the KJ was expected to do do more than the very occasional 12 mile round trip. It actually acquitted itself very well, despite (because of?) the weather, although the thumping from the back on anything less than perfect tarmac was disappointing. However, it is beginning to inveigle its way back into my affections, as I predicted might be the case, if only I could get to drive it. Best of all, having had my fingers burnt once, when I came to try to pay the ULEZ charge (no I don't expect anyone outside England - London? - to understand) on-line, I was informed it was compliant, after all. So that's £12.50 I've saved, & another on Friday when I take it back down to Deb'n, which helps a little towards the truly appalling fuel consumption.
Anyway, not being able to catch-up with the forum on the train, as I usually do, & being too cold & tired when I got in, this isn't what I did "today".

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the ball joint, mine was OK so I'm happy to reuse it, if it's worn out then a new arm is probably a better option. MOT tomorrow so I'll be charging it the day after for my free retest. Hopefully that's all it will need, I've had a poke round and can't see anything else. It's getting less and less willing to start in the morning unless I bleed the fuel filter so the next job is an in tank pump, the nice ready-made one is not easily available here so I'm looking at dropping a replacement VW lift pump into the pickup assembly, if its possible then it's a £20 upgrade, sadly I'll have to dismantle everything to see.
I'd got a new arm (partly) because I assumed the ball joint need replacing as well, so was really surprised that there was no movement in it at all. Probably worth re-bushing, not that I have any intention of doing the job again.

Hope you're right about the MoT, I didn't think there was anything wrong with mine (once I'd had the welding of the universal cats made gas tight) not that I'd even looked at the boomerang, as had no cause to suspect it. Mind you, once I'd got it back on the road after the CVJ & everything that flowed from that: trackrod ends, inner track rods, front diff, exhaust (up to the silencer), 2 O2 sensors & both front ABS sensors, I'd had enough, just booked it in, hoping it'd pass on a wing & a prayer.

Good luck with the fuel pump, if that's not a recognised mod/conversion, I'd imagine there'd be a fair amount of interest in what's involved.

rootleaf

Reaction score
I added a spare tire brake light. I also added an LED flashing third brake light.

The third brake light flashes fast - 3 times then stays steady.
The spare tire light flashes fast - 3 times and then flashes slow 4 times and then stays steady (as long as my foot is in the brake).

You must be registered for see images attach

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Check the ball joint, mine was OK so I'm happy to reuse it, if it's worn out then a new arm is probably a better option. MOT tomorrow so I'll be charging it the day after for my free retest. Hopefully that's all it will need, I've had a poke round and can't see anything else. It's getting less and less willing to start in the morning unless I bleed the fuel filter so the next job is an in tank pump, the nice ready-made one is not easily available here so I'm looking at dropping a replacement VW lift pump into the pickup assembly, if its possible then it's a £20 upgrade, sadly I'll have to dismantle everything to see.
Lostjeeps has many in-tank pump threads with lots of info. It's a Dodge Cummins diesel pump.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in South Africa there is no such thing as a MOT test!

I have had my 2002 KJ CRD for 21 years now and the only time it would ever get tested is if I sold it....the Buyer has to then take it to be tested and Road worthied! :rolleyes:

We therefor see plenty of mobile wrecks traveling on the roads with poor brakes, tires, lighting etc.;)

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lostjeeps has many in-tank pump threads with lots of info. It's a Dodge Cummins diesel pump.
Yes, I've been looking at them, unfortunately the pump is hard to get outside of the US, however Europe is diesel land so lots of other options, none are a drop in like the Dodge pump, however I think a replacement VW lift pump will fit in my original 'in tank' assembly with a bit of surgery. If so it's a £20 upgrade. I'll start a thread on here when I do it, the forecast is good for later on this week so I should be able to get on with that + whatever the MOT tester finds today.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have had my 2002 KJ CRD for 21 years now and the only time it would ever get tested is if I sold it....the Buyer has to then take it to be tested and Road worthied! :rolleyes:

We therefor see plenty of mobile wrecks traveling on the roads with poor brakes, tires, lighting etc.;)
sounds like New Jersey :D

Erskine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not today but yesterday, we had the mother of all flooding. 24 hours of rain on saturated ground that had frozen. There was nowhere for the water to go but run down to the roads. It's not that it was deep, mostly a foot to 18", but it just went on and on for miles. Never known anything like it. Anyway the little magic frog did its funky thing and eventually got me home. A 1 hour journey took two and a half. Unlike the countless BMW drivers who either hydrolocked or spread their rads across their engines. What is it with BMW drivers, dunno if it is the same in the land of the brave and the free, but here if someone is driving like a dork there is a 99% chance they are driving a german car and a 90% chance its a BM.

Reaction score

Same here in Arizona. No testing. Just pay your registration renewal fees online! There's emissions, but only if you live in a big city, of which there are only two in the entire state.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the Jeep failed the MOT, but not on the completely shot bushes! Handbrake efficiency and rear inner sills need welding, not too bad, the brake just needed a quick adjustment. I think the welding is going to be a quick plate over job to last until summer, then I'll cut everything out and put fresh steel in & smarten it up with Raptor.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a not-so-nice joke in Germany that if you purchase a Mercedes, the "right-of-way" comes standard.
Who said the Germans don't have a sense of humour?

I suspect that's more of a reflection on their on-road presence than perceived arrogance of their owners (although that joke must pre-date the A-class)

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I've just found my nearside driveshaft boots need doing too.
You must be registered for see images attach
Assuming it's the same (design, not part) as the WJ, it's a doddle. So, for your sake, I hope my assumption is right.

KJ handbrakes have something of a reputation (certainly the adjustment procedure in the FSM is odd) but the mechanism's the same as an XJ (or '63 Beetle for that matter) so I adopted the same procedure as I've always used. What I don't like though, is it's already come up further than I like - before the 1st click.

Good luck with the welding; something I've never mastered.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who said the Germans don't have a sense of humour?

I suspect that's more of a reflection on their on-road presence than perceived arrogance of their owners (although that joke must pre-date the A-class)
Robin Williams was once asked in an interview with a german media person, why did he think there were so few german comedians. He replied "Maybe you killed all the funny people?" The interviewer didn't react.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well that was a multi-hour exercise in futility and disaster.
so you can't fit a defouler on the passenger downstream O2. there's no room. the way the bung is angled it puts it in interference with the transmission.
I've got a pack of weld on bungs and plugs on order now. thinking I'll move the 2/2 O2 into the pipe for the #1 bank, and see if that'll make it run well enough to set the monitors and NOT pop a cat code.
also figured since I as screwed with the exhaust, I'll start working on the trannie cooling issue.
cut the crimps off the hoses, leaving the flared ends on the hard lines, and installed a piece of right size fuel pressure tubing in its place. tried using squeeze clamps, and one end leaked. I'll switch to screw clamps tomorrow.
also disconnected one of the lines from the cooler, and now the damn clip won't go back in place.
F M L
damn jeep is "stuck" in my garage bay now, overnight. NOT HAPPY.

also the beater silver sebring I "bought" recently, keeps popping a P0303 code. It needed new plugs and it got them (and it's running pretty damn well now), but that code just came back tonight after 4 days. I swapped coils 3 and 4, and we'll see if the code follows. I've got the parts car so if it does, I'll steal a coil from it.