What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil change day. Did that, then rotated 5 tires and lubricated JBA ball joints and track bar ends. Worn out after this job… this pandemic has me out of shape. The KK is doing good though. She’s just a sneeze under 190,000 miles.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Oil change day. Did that, then rotated 5 tires and lubricated JBA ball joints and track bar ends. Worn out after this job… this pandemic has me out of shape. The KK is doing good though. She’s just a sneeze under 190,000 miles.
Doing well
How many miles are on the lift now ?

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cranked up the heat in the barn, changed oil on mine and the wife's today. Also checked all the fluids and air in the tires.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing well
How many miles are on the lift now ?
The lift has 130,000 miles on it! The 4” springs are still at about 3.5” and the Bilsteins are not leaking. I’m on my 2nd set of JBA ball joints and track bar ends, but I’d say that’s pretty good.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a KK transmission for sale with only 80K miles on it. Made an offer. I’ll let you know if I end up with it. My 42RLE is no spring chicken at 190K, and is running Instant Shudder Fixx in the ATF to keep it smooth. Still works fine but I want to have the next one on deck for when the inevitable happens.

How many miles have your 42RLE’s ran before they died?

Also, have you personally replaced a transmission before? I am looking for experiences and stories. How did it go?

A friend of mine just bought a house that has a garage, and he and his wife said I can work on my Jeep there if I ever need to. That’s a game changer! Would never attempt changing a transmission while parked on the street in front of my house. :p

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The lift has 130,000 miles on it! The 4” springs are still at about 3.5” and the Bilsteins are not leaking. I’m on my 2nd set of JBA ball joints and track bar ends, but I’d say that’s pretty good.
Time to crank it up some
or is that were you had it ?
I forget
Used to be able to remember everyone's and their height but,,,,,,to many

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time to crank it up some
or is that were you had it ?
I forget
Used to be able to remember everyone's and their height but,,,,,,to many
Could crank the front up some, but the 1/2” sag is mostly in the back. (Trailer towing is probably why.) I could add another rubber isolator on top of the rear springs, I suppose. I will get out tomorrow and measure it properly with a tape measure instead of eyeballing it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Could crank the front up some, but the 1/2” sag is mostly in the back. (Trailer towing is probably why.) I could add another rubber isolator on top of the rear springs, I suppose. I will get out tomorrow and measure it properly with a tape measure instead of eyeballing it.
Was just curious

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I misread that and initially thought you said cruel Mexican. (Which sounds intriguing, in its own way.)

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Went to the gym to get my hamster wheel time in for the day. Ended up BSing th a fellow about wrenching and DIY stuff. Came out to find he had parked his vintage Cherokee next to bert. Shoulda taken a picture but it was -16C today.

WyldWolf777

Reaction score
Never final , 4x4 builds are never finished
when I bought the 04 new, first day I started ordering parts to lift it, then found a ARB bumper then,....
for the next 15 years it was a continuous build, better this and that , different bumpers, rock rails, racks etc
Never stopped until I bought the 03 and put the 04 into hibernation for a while
Now with a list of changes once again that I want to do, she is ready for another day in the sun
It was my daily driver all those years as well
Well true... Always find something extra to do lol

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
2011 42RLE with 80K and some pine needles on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Rear view

Front view. The torque converter has a little surface rust. It was stored outdoors.

And the seller threw in some front rotors and a caliper for free.

I will have a little cleanup to do on this transmission since it has been two years since it ran, and was stored outdoors under a tarp. But it looks in decent shape, and no rust on the electrical connectors.