What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Agreed. You may save some cash by purchasing them through and industrial supplier like MSC or Motion Industries. Same bearings with the price mark up when the exact same items are sold as auto parts.
Was able to replace my rear axel seals and bearings for 30$ that way. You results may vary.

Penguin

Reaction score
1900 for a used and swapping it ???
Takes 45 minutes or less to swap one out and I've given away 8.25s to the junk dealer before just to get them out of my road !
WOW
I thought it was a joke, but they were serious. I should have also mentioned, I also replaced the brakes, new pads, rotors, and calipers.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not on any of mine but had a guy ask me at the gas station this morning if I knew anything about these KJs
Buddy owns a full service gas station and every Jeep Liberty that comes in and needs something he calls me , so told the guy he would call me
He just bought a 05 Renegade for his son and said it was making noises all over
Told him to stop over and I'd check it out
Thought it would be simple, an hour later ..................
Just got done upsetting the poor guy : (
SOME of the things I found after a short drive and checking it over
*Right front lower ball joint
*left front wheel bearing
*left front upper control arm ball joint
*rear boot on front drive shaft wrapped in duck tape
*BOTH rear u-joints are electrical taped up ??
*Muffler has some kind of metal silver taped wrapped a 1/4 inch thick on it , no tailpipe / no hanger
*Both rear shock blown and leaking
*Tri link ball joint you can move up and down almost 1/2 inch
*front measure 17.75 inches , springs are stacked
*Radiator leaking in normal spot some of them do
*AC doesn't work , hardly any heat
*oil last changed ?? Oil looks like it's 140 weight hardly drips off of the dipstick
*No transmission fluid showing at all
* speedo doesn't work
I'm sure there are a few more things
Body looks great, no rust at all
He just paid 5500 for it , the ( seller ) told him it was a great deal
This guy knows nothing about vehicles except to put key in ignition and put gas in it seems
He was not a happy camper at all
He wanted to know if it was safe for his son to drive till spring ??

Reaction score
Not on any of mine but had a guy ask me at the gas station this morning if I knew anything about these KJs
Buddy owns a full service gas station and every Jeep Liberty that comes in and needs something he calls me , so told the guy he would call me
He just bought a 05 Renegade for his son and said it was making noises all over
Told him to stop over and I'd check it out
Thought it would be simple, an hour later ..................
Just got done upsetting the poor guy : (
SOME of the things I found after a short drive and checking it over
*Right front lower ball joint
*left front wheel bearing
*left front upper control arm ball joint
*rear boot on front drive shaft wrapped in duck tape
*BOTH rear u-joints are electrical taped up ??
*Muffler has some kind of metal silver taped wrapped a 1/4 inch thick on it , no tailpipe / no hanger
*Both rear shock blown and leaking
*Tri link ball joint you can move up and down almost 1/2 inch
*front measure 17.75 inches , springs are stacked
*Radiator leaking in normal spot some of them do
*AC doesn't work , hardly any heat
*oil last changed ?? Oil looks like it's 140 weight hardly drips off of the dipstick
*No transmission fluid showing at all
* speedo doesn't work
I'm sure there are a few more things
Body looks great, no rust at all
He just paid 5500 for it , the ( seller ) told him it was a great deal
This guy knows nothing about vehicles except to put key in ignition and put gas in it seems
He was not a happy camper at all
He wanted to know if it was safe for his son to drive till spring ??
Safe to drive till spring? uh... No. I dont even see how some people can even ask that.

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

A bit of fun at 7500 ft of elevation up on the Rim Rd trail 86miles of fun..capped off with some overnight camping in Strawberry

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
You know that Odyssey 34-PC1500T Automotive and LTV Battery that LibertyTC is always going on about? Well, last week I ordered one. It got here Thursday and I installed it yesterday.

Talk about a difference! This thing weighs 49 lbs. and feels twice as heavy as the one I took out. I barely get the key turned halfway before it cranks the engine to life.

As a bonus, my CEL went out (Very Small Evap Leak), though I don't know if that is going to last. I do not think I actually have a leak and am hoping that maybe my tired old battery was causing the Jeep to throw phantom codes.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Heater Core/AC Month continues...How do I separate these lines?
I found a YouTube video...special tool required...another run to Autozone. Thankfully 0.5 miles away. Now I can't get them to connect to the new ac unit...

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
You know that Odyssey 34-PC1500T Automotive and LTV Battery that LibertyTC is always going on about? Well, last week I ordered one. It got here Thursday and I installed it yesterday.

Talk about a difference! This thing weighs 49 lbs. and feels twice as heavy as the one I took out. I barely get the key turned halfway before it cranks the engine to life.

As a bonus, my CEL went out (Very Small Evap Leak), though I don't know if that is going to last. I do not think I actually have a leak and am hoping that maybe my tired old battery was causing the Jeep to throw phantom codes.
Perfect timing on this post! I was wondering what to get Bert before the Nebraska Cryogenics start. The battery it came with is relatively new, but is a little week on the crank when the temp dips...and all the lights dim a little when the subwoofer kicks....

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
How's this for carnage? Eight years of Pennsylvania winters, I guess. That and a poor design. No other parts under the Jeep look like this, even the other skid plates.

Gas tank skid, rear view:

That doesn't looks so bad, does it? Oh, wait...

What a mess

That's the plastic tank you can see through the hole, and the foam pad it is sitting on.

The front end of the skid doesn't look good either. I didn't try pulling that apart with my bare hands.

I have searched far and wide for a new skid plate, and every one I find at junkyards from PA to OH to MI are completely rusted out, like mine. I have been thinking I need to visit an Arizona pick and pull.

In other news, here is the driveshaft vs. gas tank skid carnage that has been happening since my the new rear control arms went in. It happens when the rear end articulates. No off roading for me until I solve this. The track bar was NOT adjusted, as it looks as seized up as ever.

The pinion seal is not leaking, so that's a bit of good news.

I think maybe the gas tank could have been installed a tad bit to the center of where it used to be, since it had to come out to access the rear control arm bolts. When I replace the skid plate (probably with a regular gas tank hanger, rather than the skid plate version, as those don't seem to exist), I'll see if I can push it all the way to the outside before torquing down the bolts.

Oh, and I think my fuel pump is starting to give out. I get no start when I come out of a store and try to start up the Jeep when it's hot. Sort of like a vapor lock, but probably the fuel is dripping back into the tank due to tired fuel pump seals. If I turn the key to ON, and wait a few seconds, then START, it will start up.

Seems like these three issues can all be solved at the same time, which would involve dropping the tank. Lucky me. I hate being covered in gas.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I spent 45 min searching for another tank skid for you with no luck. Doesn't look like Kilby Or skid row even has one ?
I hope you can find one in Arizona!!
Poor Ifhoward..:eek:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love it. Thanks for trying, anyway.

I have scoured the whole internet (or it feels that way) looking for one of these. They have been discontinued. Even the non-skid version of the gas tank hanger has been discontinued. There isn’t any new old stock. I will try to source one of those tomorrow at my local junkyard so at least my gas tank is held in place by something more substantial than a few layers of rust. Hard to believe this thing once protected the tank from rocks. Now it wouldn’t protect it from sticks!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I Know of a local Jeep only wreckers here, I will make a call tomorrow & see if they have one for You, Ill post back if he has one.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I spent 45 min searching for another tank skid for you with no luck. Doesn't look like Kilby Or skid row even has one ?
I hope you can find one in Arizona!!
Poor Ifhoward..:eek:
I’ve been searching too. Found affordable KJ engine skids on eBay. Can’t find any for KK even in Poland and Czechia.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am at a South Philly junkyard right now. Going to see if I can get a regular non-skid gas tank hanger, since the skid version is rarer than hen’s teeth.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Just called over to the Jeep Wreckers. No luck sorry. Hope U find one at the Philly yard.

Latest posts

Members online