What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Impact driver to the rescue.

You must be registered for see images attach

Battery is now charging in the basement so I can leave it overnight. My next question is what to do about this and the thing it screwed into.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man he did a great job installing your battery LOL
new bolt time it seems
New hold-down and probably new U-nut as well. Only problem is, the Mopar battery tray comes with the U-nuts already attached ($$$) and you can’t buy them separately. I cant seem to find the correct U-nut to replace the mangled one on my perfectly-fine-in-all-other-ways battery tray. Anyone know a part number for the U-nut/clip nut that the battery hold down screw attaches to? Or know the size (is it M6?). Thanks

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did another run of supplies.

Hand sanitizer and cleaning wipes 1/2-way across the state, came back with masks and face shields for a local elderly care center's workers.

Round trip of ~250 miles. Seems if I put the select-terrain into Sport mode, the "service 4wd" light doesn't come on at all.? Pending more research....

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
New hold-down and probably new U-nut as well. Only problem is, the Mopar battery tray comes with the U-nuts already attached ($$$) and you can’t buy them separately. I cant seem to find the correct U-nut to replace the mangled one on my perfectly-fine-in-all-other-ways battery tray. Anyone know a part number for the U-nut/clip nut that the battery hold down screw attaches to? Or know the size (is it M6?). Thanks

If you can figure out the size, check here: https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/u-clips-nuts-and-fasteners-s/115.htm

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a bucket of parts from various vehicles, i'm sure I have a dozen of those clip nuts someplace. Finding them would be interesting though.

BazW

Reaction score
Cut out rust and welded in a new rocker panel to go with the one on the opp side I did yesterday. Remeoved radiator and started to prep for changing water pump and cam belt when parts arrive. got some pen oil on the bolts on rear axle in prep for bushes and damper changes I will be doing tomorrow.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a bucket of parts from various vehicles, i'm sure I have a dozen of those clip nuts someplace. Finding them would be interesting though.
Thanks, Sota. :) No need to go digging through the garage. I managed to find a matching U-nut made by Dorman, with a 50 mm bolt to match, which is M6 with a 1 mm thread pitch. I had a 25% off coupon for Advance Auto, so I got those, 4 quarts of Valvoline ATF+4 for doing the transfer case and power steering, new Rainex Latitude wiper blades, and a tube of blue Loctite. I also picked up some wire conduit to replace the OEM conduit that disintegrated in my engine bay due to 13 years of high temperature. The Jeep is going to get some TLC pretty soon.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Dang Autzone I'd not be happy about that battery install!
I use a 4.3 Amp CTEK, excellent charger, talking batteries, mines plugged in right now as monthly maintenance.
At 9 years old now, I'm impressed.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
So I've been researching OME suspensions and see that a lot of you recommend Bilstein shocks with OME springs...Are we talking Bilstein 5100 Height Adjustable front and 5100 rear? The 5100 rear shocks are for lifts 0-1", and from what I understand, the OME rear springs provide a 1.75" rear lift.
Just looking for clarification on model of shocks.
Thanks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
So I've been researching OME suspensions and see that a lot of you recommend Bilstein shocks with OME springs...Are we talking Bilstein 5100 Height Adjustable front and 5100 rear? The 5100 rear shocks are for lifts 0-1", and from what I understand, the OME rear springs provide a 1.75" rear lift.
Just looking for clarification on model of shocks.
Thanks.
DO NOT go with the height adjustable

I recommend Bilsteins due to costs, OME is better but they are about the same for most folks.
What springs are you using ? If 927/948 combo it will lift your KJ 2.5 inches and be level front to back
for shocks, front use what they recommend for stock height, rear use ones for a 99-04 dodge dakota club cab 4x4 or OME 132Ls
also bumpstops front and rear
I run 5100 on the rear of two of mine with 4.5 inches on one, 2.5 on the other, of course on both of them have the JBA adjustable coilovers so doesn't help you
on my 3rd one an 05 it has OME 925/947 springs and stock 4600s front and rear which gives it a little over an inch over new stock height, but better spring rating than stock

SO,.......what springs are you looking at, what height etc

By the way we do have a whole section dedicated just to lifts ............................

Reaction score
DO NOT go with the height adjustable

I recommend Bilsteins due to costs, OME is better but they are about the same for most folks.
What springs are you using ? If 927/948 combo it will lift your KJ 2.5 inches and be level front to back
for shocks, front use what they recommend for stock height, rear use ones for a 99-04 dodge dakota club cab 4x4 or OME 132Ls
also bumpstops front and rear
I run 5100 on the rear of two of mine with 4.5 inches on one, 2.5 on the other, of course on both of them have the JBA adjustable coilovers so doesn't help you
on my 3rd one an 05 it has OME 925/947 springs and stock 4600s front and rear which gives it a little over an inch over new stock height, but better spring rating than stock

SO,.......what springs are you looking at, what height etc

By the way we do have a whole section dedicated just to lifts ............................

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply tommud!
I was looking at OME Medium duty front and rear springs 926 and 947 I believe.
I appreciate the advice.
I’ll look into the ‘lift’ thread.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Battery hold-down repaired and the Jeep is now safely drivable! :)

Now if I could just figure out which engine pulley is squeaking...
Sounds like the drivers side... alternator or power steering... hmmm...

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Battery hold-down repaired and the Jeep is now safely drivable! :)

Now if I could just figure out which engine pulley is squeaking...
Sounds like the drivers side... alternator or power steering... hmmm...
Long extension put against each part and listen, works in a pinch to locate noises

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long extension put against each part and listen, works in a pinch to locate noises
The longest extension I’ve got is only about 6 inches. Would this work with any long object, like a piece of wood, or does it have to be made of metal?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
The longest extension I’ve got is only about 6 inches. Would this work with any long object, like a piece of wood, or does it have to be made of metal?
Yes it does. Long screwdrivers work great. Place the tip where you want to listen and bring your ear down to it. Look out for loose clothing and long hair.

Latest posts

Members online