What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, update on this. While the EVIC is now displaying pressures, they appear to have nothing to do with reality. The displayed pressures do not.match the tires, and airing a tire up or down doesnt seem to change the.display.

Oh well, time to stop spending money on getting the PSIs working.

Lesson Number 1: The Displayed Pressure on the TPMS will never be fully accurate, the TPMS IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE to checking your tire pressure manually. It is there as an emergency indicator to let you know a tire is losing pressure THAT'S IT.

Lesson Number 2: Chrysler is an oddball with the TPMS, you have to drive for about 20 minutes for proper TPMS calibration. I have to tell people that all the time because sometimes the light goes off when the tires are aired up properly sometimes they don't usually if they don't you have to drive to calibrate.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...the front pass window won't go up all the way without being pushed back. Now there is a bad rattling coming from the door itself in the window area near the top but also behind the panel...
Yeah, I don't think silicone is going to fix that - sorry... :(

...you have to drive for about 20 minutes for proper TPMS calibration...
Which makes it next to useless, in my opinion. A slow leak I will catch on my own. A fast leak would be flat before then.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think silicone is going to fix that - sorry... :(

Which makes it next to useless, in my opinion. A slow leak I will catch on my own. A fast leak would be flat before then.

The issue is that the sensors are on 90 second delay so every 90 seconds they are supposed to take a reading and update the computer on what the pressure is. So driving down the interstate it will catch a tire going down, but there are flaws, Chryslers calibration isn't the big problem. The TPMS system is known to be extremely faulty in cold temperatures and just down right fail period on all makes. Not to mention the sensors run on batteries, which you can not change so when a sensor dies it has to be replaced. While its a good idea in theory, in reality it has caused way more harm than good by making people lazy and dependent on computer for pressure readings which most of the time are false and usually off by a pound or two.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
After this happened...

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f200/tpms-questions-57058/

...I considered just adding the sensors to get the problem over and done with. The quotes I got ranged from $800 to a cool grand. Then I read about all the people having problems with theirs and decided not to waste my time. I check my tires regularly and don't need another expensive thing of dubious value to be sitting there waiting for a malfunction to occur and cost me even more. Now if I had an EVIC and hadn't had this other fiasco I would probably be tempted...

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want some clarity on this, do you just have the low tire pressure light blinking or do you have other problems as well such as a message telling you service TPMS system?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I want some clarity on this, do you just have the low tire pressure light blinking or do you have other problems as well such as a message telling you service TPMS system?

If you are referring to me, I don't have the sensors and never did. When the steering column was replaced it started looking for them.

If you are referring to nullptr, I will shut up and get out of the way. :icon_lol:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are referring to me, I don't have the sensors and never did. When the steering column was replaced it started looking for them.

If you are referring to nullptr, I will shut up and get out of the way. :icon_lol:

Nope you since I have been quietly following what has happened to your Jeep and the issue with using the wrong replacement parts.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope you since I have been quietly following what has happened to your Jeep and the issue with using the wrong replacement parts.

The daggone light comes on every ten minutes, blinks for a full minute, then goes off. Ten minutes later the daggone light comes on, blinks for a full minute, then goes off. Ten minutes after that the daggone light comes on...

I have put nearly 2,000 miles on the Jeep since this started, including three trips of 400+ miles. My hold on my sanity was tenuous before this happened and my grip is now beginning to slip... :insane:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use this as a last resort but if they're not going to do anything to remedy the problem, I would just remove the bulb from the cluster and be done with it. Only as a last resort since they should fix the muck up they caused.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I would use this as a last resort but if they're not going to do anything to remedy the problem, I would just remove the bulb from the cluster and be done with it. Only as a last resort since they should fix the muck up they caused.
That's been in the back of my mind for a while. As you said, it's their goof and I'm trying to get them to fix it. I also have a problem with the fog lights. It's not nearly as annoying (I just can't turn them off), but I intend to make them fix that too. It may sound whiny, but every time I see those things it makes me mad all over again that this happened. Getting it fixed right would help cure that.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if taking it to a dealership and getting it fully documented that way would have a full effect.

Been to two of them already. They seem mystified... They also see it as not their problem and refer me back to the repair place. The repair place blames my insurance company who sends me to...

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-facepalm- Must be rookie techs that don't know their @$$ from a hole in the ground. That's why when it comes to comp stuff I do it myself most of the time. I would go to a third dealership but have them address the situation as this, rather than try a programming, I would have them do a VIN check to the parts installed. With documentation of the dealership saying these aren't the rights parts for your Jeep then you can go to the Insurance Company but I also wouldn't be afraid to lawyer up.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been to two of them already. They seem mystified... They also see it as not their problem and refer me back to the repair place. The repair place blames my insurance company who sends me to...

The closest bar?

One thing I have come across is that it may take up to 15-20 minutes of driving time above 15mph for changes to be reflected in the readout. Are you giving it that long to update?

Hm, no, honestly I have not. I'll give that a shot, and see if it straightens it out. I already know not to count on it for truely accurate readings, but I feel it should probably be closer than 10psi. Right now I know all 5 tires are between 33 and 35psi, according to my gauge. I really just kind of wanted the updated EVIC+PSI for the, "hey, cool" feature. I am, after all, a Software Engineer and gadgets are cool.

The other weird thing I ran into is the overhead console lighting. It appears to be backwards. If the door is open, the lights are off, if it's closed, the lights are on. What the hell? I plugged in the original one and it works right, so it's not a wiring problem in the harness. If the EVIC+PSI starts reading right, I'll have to swap the lighting module out.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Where is the Insurance Agency located? Do they have large front windows? If so i'd make them a drive thru, may get their attention then

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I suggested that about a week ago in his TPMS thread, since the light being on is the only real side effect.
Although prof didn't much care for that idea, he did seem to like it better than my black tape on the cluster idea. :gr_grin:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The closest bar?...
Alright, I had to laugh in spite of myself at that one! :happy175:
-facepalm- Must be rookie techs that don't know their @$$ from a hole in the ground. That's why when it comes to comp stuff I do it myself most of the time. I would go to a third dealership but have them address the situation as this, rather than try a programming, I would have them do a VIN check to the parts installed. With documentation of the dealership saying these aren't the rights parts for your Jeep then you can go to the Insurance Company but I also wouldn't be afraid to lawyer up.
The trouble with the legal aspect is that it could end up being more expensive than the other options, unless someone has some good advice in that area. It's not like a suit where I might get enough in damages to pay off the shylock.

Where is the Insurance Agency located? Do they have large front windows? If so i'd make them a drive thru, may get their attention then
Do not tempt me. They are a major company and I would not have to go far. I am already three steps up the ladder after refusing to deal with the first two again after they proved unhelpful.

If I don't post here for 8-10 years (maybe less, assuming time off for good behavior) you will all know that I followed Tom's advice. :hunter:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I suggested that about a week ago in his TPMS thread, since the light being on is the only real side effect.
Although prof didn't much care for that idea, he did seem to like it better than my black tape on the cluster idea. :gr_grin:

It may come down to that, though I hope not.

A) I'm not too keen on taking the dash apart. Besides, there's a (redacted) in Cleveland that will give me overnight service if I want that done again...
B) I like things to work like they are "supposed" to work. Had this been due to my mistake I would probably yank the bulb and chalk it up to experience. Since I am paying good money for insurance (not to mention the $500 deductible and adding a $530 alarm system), I want them to do it right. Yanking the bulb would be like not getting all your stuff at the McDonald's drive-thru and instead of making them fix it just swinging through the Wendy's drive-thru and paying to make up the difference.
C) I don't like to reward incompetence with indifference. I pity the foo and the sucka must pay!!!!!

(Sorry, I got a little ranty and Mr. T there at the end.) :gr_grin:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever think that maybe your Jeep never had the bulb and they put one in when they saw the light wasn't going on. And now..... ;)
I doubt that's the case, but Mr. Murphy seems to be perched on your shoulder as of late.
No problem with the Mr. T, however, Mr. & Mrs. T with Vodka would be a better way to go.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
You're just messing with my head now, aren't you? :emotions34: :happy175: