What are the side effects of an EVAP leak??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the EVAP does and what it could do if it was leaking.. can someone inform me? Thanks, Chase

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't take this for gospel Chase, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me.:)

EVAP is for vapour recovery. Keeps our gross polluters from polluting even more. An EVAP leak or malfunction will pop codes, OBDII P0440 thru P0459 are reserved for EVAP system operation.

Helped?

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't take this for gospel Chase, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me.:)

EVAP is for vapour recovery. Keeps our gross polluters from polluting even more. An EVAP leak or malfunction will pop codes, OBDII P0440 thru P0459 are reserved for EVAP system operation.

Helped?

So, in regards to my own position a leaking EVAP wont affect the jeep? only the environment? like do you think it can lower my MPG or something?

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Evap systems prevent evaported gasoline fumes from polluting the atmosphere.

Could go on an environmentalists-are-dweebs rant, but we'll do without that for today.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will effect your mpg's,how much depends on the size of the leak.If the gas vapors leak out uncontrolled you are wasting gas,just letting it disappear before burning.Just remember liquid gas does not burn or is combustable,it's the vapors that are highly flammable.If you take care of the problem now it will be cheaper then doing it down the road and then you can get rid of the check engine light so when you have another issue you will know.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. Its done it before.. Its the hose that connects to the canister. It got dry rotted and cracked. had a redneck duct tape fix on it but I guess that ripped cause on came the light yesterday. Does anyone know the diameter of the hose and maybe the length that I'd need to pick up? I'm at college staying in a dorm now and don't have my garage of tools like back at home. =[

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will effect your mpg's,how much depends on the size of the leak.If the gas vapors leak out uncontrolled you are wasting gas,just letting it disappear before burning.Just remember liquid gas does not burn or is combustable,it's the vapors that are highly flammable.If you take care of the problem now it will be cheaper then doing it down the road and then you can get rid of the check engine light so when you have another issue you will know.

And what about the hoses coming from the air box to the rear top of the engine? Those are cracked where the meet the engine too. Will that affect MPG too?