What about a squires universal turbo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adonis BHK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at trying to eek out an extra 25hp out of this engine seems like it might be an expensive and futile task. By the time all is said and done, I'm probably looking at over $1000 for a decent intake, exhaust system, chip etc.

So, looking at the squires turbo system, universal kit - it seems like a much better bang for my buck.

Warranty probably wouldn't be too much of a concern - if anything major happens it could be fabricated to be easily removed if it needs to be taken into the shop.

My question is, if we're looking at about 4-6 pounds of boost, what HP could we expect? I read an article where they installed a kit on a 3.4L tacoma and running 4psi went from 122hp at the rear wheels to well over 200. Percentages being similair, could we expect our 3.7 to hit the 300s?

Second question, can the drive train take it? I'm not looking for a drag racer here, but a bit of nice passing an merging power would be great. If I drive relatively modestly, will this 4sp auto and transfer case hold of to the expected horses?

Lastly, what about fuel mileage. I can't imagine running only 4 pounds boost would require much more fuel. And turbo is a kind of thing that you only really use if you've got your foot in it hard right? Could I expect my mileage to stay about the same if I keep my foot out of it?

I'm seriously considering this modification, so I would love to hear everyone's opinion.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been discussed before,the 3.7 will not hold up to being boosted,turbo or supercharger,since the top piston ring groove is to close to the top of the piston.Any extra boost will break the pistons,it'll live for a little while but expect to buy a new engine within 5000miles or so.

Adonis BHK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn.

Oh well, thanks for the heads up. I didn't spend $35,000 on this thing just to blow it up.

Guess I'll have to live with whatever intake, exhaust, and chip can do for me.

Mr_Nick

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, but a FULLY loaded Limited has an MSRP of $36,250.

That's every possible option/upgrade.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, but a FULLY loaded Limited has an MSRP of $36,250.

That's every possible option/upgrade.
Who pays anything close to MSRP?

My KJ had a sticker price of $24,500,without my trade in(which they paid off,zero $$$ taken of my KJ's price) I walked out the door with it for $17,000 even,no specials,no rebaits,just showed them a $17,000 check and they handed me the keys.

I did price out a fully loaded KJ(in '02 when I bought mine),it came to $28,000 something for the MSRP.

Adonis BHK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, hold on a minute...

I'm in Canada.

When it comes to new car prices, we get SKEE-REWD!

Sticker was $39,500.

Every available option including chrome nerf bars.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, hold on a minute...

I'm in Canada.

Ha ha.....I was just about to but in and say that..... but you beat me to it.

BTT.....please do yourself a favor and forget the turbo. If you need a turbo, get something that was built for a turbo. The 3.7L is not built to handle a turbo.

Dave

Adonis BHK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, idea is scrapped.

I didn't really think I would need it when I bought it. I wasn't until I had this thing a couple weeks that I realized how much of a dog it is passing and merging. Especially when you've got one or two guys in it.

Figured the turbo would be the best horsepower for dollars investment, but honestly I didn't have any clue if this engine could take it. Not worth it I guess.

I'm going to swap the muffler for a magnaflow tomorrow, then maybe a drop in K&N filter until someone comes out with a REAL cold aid intake. Either that or I might modify the stock box to pull some better air.

Realistically, If I go with exhaust, intake, and Jet Stage 2 chip, what should I expect for horsepower increase? 20? 25? Maybe it will be enough to satisfy me.

I'll post my magnaflow install when I've got her done.

Mr_Nick

Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing the Magnaflow. I have 2 extras I took off my Cutlass, that I'm sure would work nice on the Liberty.

Also, if you look close... it appears the factory intake set up is pretty decent. The problem is the intake snorkel isn't open to fresh moving air. Peeking down thru the core support cover, the snorkel opening is behind the right most opening of the grill, and the passenger headlight. But that opening on the grill isn't really open! Opening that up would allow cool are to flow easier into the intake system... but then you're screwed if you go off roading and hit any deep water obstacles. In my opinion... a high flowing aftermarket filter in the stock intake system is enough.

Adonis BHK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it doesn't look bad. If you look right below the box, there is another hole that enters into behind the wheel well.

I think cutting another hole in the stock airbox and routing a pipe in there would pull REALLY cold air. In the event of a submersion, the air would take path of least resistance and pull through the stock grill location instead of acting like a straw and drawing water up near the fender.

The likelihood of me going in water that deep with this vehicle is HIGHLY unlikely.

Potentially with this exhaust and intake mod, it would only cost around $150 for parts and we could end up with similar performance and mileage improvements seen with a cat back and intake that would normally run over $600.

KKDude08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid 29,000 for a limited out the door with every option except tow package and selec-trac.

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, I feel I over paid at 18.5K for an 2K6 with 27K on the ODO. I would have just spent the extra 4K and got a Charger SRT8.

Lima Oscar Lima, you did pay too much for 27k on the odo. Well, I guess if everything were absolutely cherry and you got the warranty...

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been discussed before,the 3.7 will not hold up to being boosted,turbo or supercharger,since the top piston ring groove is to close to the top of the piston.Any extra boost will break the pistons,it'll live for a little while but expect to buy a new engine within 5000miles or so.

One of my mechanic friends says that you can do this if you replace with forged pistons. Opinions?