Well the transformation will begin soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TwoBobs just picked up a 4.10 low mileage rear diff right up the road from me for less than a set of gears would of cost almost . Had like 43,000 miles or so.
He had bought the front earlier for even less I think.
Easy to swap the whole thing.
Heck I have his old 3.73 rear here that looks like its going to the scrappers and there's nothing wrong with it

Well save the ring and pinion then,lol. Its got to be worth a $100? I just need the front gears as well. As long as I was putting in a truetrac up front, I wouldn't need the carrier for the front unit.

Yep, I have less in a front and rear diff swap than a set of gears and install would be for just the rear. Helps me budget for more mods - like a Detroit TT, front and/or rear bumper - it's a long list ;)

Hey Tom, go ahead and pull the 3.73's and ship them to streetglideok - would be great to help out a fellow KJer. Regearing with factory stuff and doing a simple swap is the way to go.

Love my 4.10's - runs really strong and smooth. Street, you'll find the same kind of performance improvement with 3.73's I'm sure :waytogo:

Bob

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took measurements tonight, and as my eyes confirmed, 20" in front, and 22" in rear. The rear sits nice and high with no iso needed. The front sits lower than I had hoped, so I'll need to do a little work to bring it up.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just now catching up on the forums after a couple days of working on others Jeeps
Then this morning since I couldn't sleep loaded up all of the junk laying around and took it to the scrappers, yes including the rear diff:shakehead:.
They are trying to dig the rear diff back out of the pile.
Sorry wish I would of known sooner you were interested :icon_frown::icon_frown:
they are to call me when they do
update;
do you want it? If so let me know so I can buy it back in the morning and get it torn down and shipped. May wait till after Christmas to ship unless you need it sooner
But let me know they drug it back out the pile I guess

Last edited:

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOSTJEEPS
FOR SALE SECTION
NOS front diff 3.73 gears 100 bucks

Scored the buy in it. Thanks for the heads up on that again. Going to store it for the time being till I get the parts for the rear, then work on truetracs for them. At least with the front I can get the carrier and do the complete swap on the bench, set it up and then when ready swap the front diff. The rear will be more involved, pulling the axles, etc. I'll have to do that on a separate day.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you start on your lift? Get all the parts from JBA?

Oh yeah, I worked on it the weekend before last. Sourced the Ironman springs front and rear, and the OME front shocks from JBA, while I sourced the rear shocks locally, Monroe reflex. 22" in rear, 20" in front. Also discovered a lovely R/F axle seal leaking, hoping my intermediate shaft hasn't worn out. Hoping to go back into it this weekend to inspect the leak and replace the seal hopefully, as well as install the jba top plate and do a clevis lift to level things out. Discount tire did the mount and balance on my 30" tires, so I didn't check the offset. Judging by the pinchweld rub, I would guess I'm at 4" of offset. I think the front wheels extending out further that the normal offset of stock wheels is a factor in the reduced lift in front. I'll need to go to steel wheels before I move up to a 31" tire. As is, the KJ rides night and day better. I can now hit the dips near my home at regular speeds, and not bottom out at all.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't tell me that, ugh,lol.
I did some looking back on the lifted liberty sticky. I noticed some people getting a lot more lift out of the front Ironman springs than I did. I could see an inch variance from what I got, but some got quite a bit more than me. 20" is all I managed from the front, with nothing added to the front end. I can see the offset of the wheels causing some issues, as the tires have greater leverage against the springs, but would that account for all of that? Tom you have any ideas?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't tell me that, ugh,lol.
I did some looking back on the lifted liberty sticky. I noticed some people getting a lot more lift out of the front Ironman springs than I did. I could see an inch variance from what I got, but some got quite a bit more than me. 20" is all I managed from the front, with nothing added to the front end. I can see the offset of the wheels causing some issues, as the tires have greater leverage against the springs, but would that account for all of that? Tom you have any ideas?
The coils should be marked with a part #,could have gotten the wrong coils.It does happen.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take a look either during the day at work this week, or this weekend when I'm back in it. I made it a point to position the numbers outward as I recall(little CDO) but I don't remember what the code actually was.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had to mutilate the axle seal to get it out and not damage the seat. Small flat head working around outside lip. My seal puller wouldnt get in there. I'm at 21.5" in front with the lift.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spring number matches what Ironman shows to fit. jeep0014B springs. I should be about 21.5 or so once I add the top plate and clevis

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah the right side seal was a bear for me to remove

Yeah that seal was a bit of a pain to get out. Was finally able to get it with a big freaking pry bar. Intermediate shaft seems to be ok, no excessive wiggle on the cv shaft. Did the clevis and JBA plate, did a measurement before I finished aligning, and I had 22.5 inches on the front. Guessing it is closer to 22" now after playing with the cams to get camber and caster fairly even. Going to have to upgrade to JBA arms in the future though, I can see. Only gripes now, somehow I set the steering wheel slightly offcenter. Don't have a 24mm wrench, or I'd just fix it here at home. Other issue is a slight pop mostly on acceleration in first gear. Kind of like a shock shifting one time, however it does not do it over bumps at all. May be the boomerang in the back, I'll pay closer attention to it. The KJ definitely looks a lot meaner now!