Weird sound...any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilentRain

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty and I have noticed a compressing air noise coming from under the jeep. It's not as noticable when the vehicle is in motion, but when it's at a stand still it's very noticable. If anyone knows what this could be I would greatly appreciate any help....thank you

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it really loud? I also hear the same thing when it is not hot, and also when I turn of the radio and cruise. There is always a hissing sound, feels like gas oven.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little more info might help track things down. Is it a steady hissing noise, or more of a pulsing sound? If steady there could be a few possible causes, if pulsing could be something related to the exhaust or intake systems. Any extra info you can provide would help, and if you can get a recording of the sound that would be even better...

SilentRain

Reaction score
It is kinda loud and it's a constant sound. The sound is similar to the sound of air being let out of a tire if that's any help

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel pump.. Next time you hear it, get out and stick your head under the back of the jeep around the gas tank.. If you can hear it back there then thats what it is. Should be normal if its really hot out. This can also mean the fuel pump is on its way out. How many miles are on the jeep?

SilentRain

Reaction score
My Jeep is on 52, 800....since it's not hot out I guess that means it's going out? About how much do you think it would cost to have that fixed? Also, I did pick this jeep up yesterday and I didn't notice this noise until I filled up the tank.

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's most likely a normal sound your hearing from the fuel pump
the intake can be pretty noisy to

2003KJ

Reaction score
i'll x4 the fuel pump, but i'm not gonna go as far to say it's on its way out.

Extreme hot AND cold can make them be louder....and sometimes their just louder cause they wanna be. There are some mornings where i'll start my jeep up, pull it out of the garage, go back in side and brush my teeth (leaving the jeep running to warm up) and when I come back out the fuel pump is louder than normal.

SilentRain

Reaction score
Yea, I really don't need the fuel pump to go out. Had a bad experience with my previous vehicle and its fuel pump. Should I be worried about this noise or is this just something normal? I was thinking about just having it checked out.

SilentRain

Reaction score
Well, the noise just ended up coming from a small hose under the jeep (it was cracked). Just fixed it and now it purrs like a kitten :)