weird noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just found this:

Chrysler is recalling 2007-2008 Dodge Nitro and 2008 Jeep Liberty vehicles equipped with manual transmissions over a parking brake defect that could cause a crash. In a defect notice filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the automaker explains, "the parking brake level clutch drum may distort and reduce the effectiveness of the parking brake system," which "could allow the vehicle to move inadvertently and cause a crash without warning."

This is the assembly that failed on my '04, and now seems to be 'less effective' after a couple of years since the replacement. I'm beginning to think that Jeep has a defect in all their parking brake assemblies. I'm leaning toward this being the source of the noise more than ever.

Link: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/081021-Recall-Alert-Jeep-Liberty-Dodge-Nitro/

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I agree those 'drums' as they call them, suck. Ive tightened mine up many times and it keep loosening back up.

Not sure on them making a noise though. I know my e-brakes release really well but I spray them with white lithium everymtime I have the rear brakes apart.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I agree those 'drums' as they call them, suck. Ive tightened mine up many times and it keep loosening back up.

Not sure on them making a noise though. I know my e-brakes release really well but I spray them with white lithium everymtime I have the rear brakes apart.

Lithium greese on a brake assembly? That would make me nervous...what about old-fashioned brake cleaner?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would make it worse since it removes all the grease that would possibly be on the parts that pushes the pads apart.

I dont spray it on the pads. Just the parts that move which push the pads against the inside of the rotor.