Weird noise when car starts in cold weather.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This post is a little old, but I had a quick question.
My 03 liberty has started to make this howling/whining noise now that its cold out (doesn't happen when warm), so first guess would be that it's the power steering pump.

I was wondering what fluid to put in if I don't know what's already in there. I was thinking about doing the turkey baster idea since funds are low, but I don't know what the previous owner put in, if they even put anything in. Does brand matter or should it be the type of fluid (ATF+4 or whatever the manual calls for)?

Or would I be better off just taking it to a mechanic and having them bleed it or possibly replace the unit? I'm sure if I go in asking them to bleed it they will want me to buy a new part instead.

Thanks for any help.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
If it were me, I would go with the turkey baster to remove the old fluid. Then replace with ATF+4, as manual states. I might even go so far as doing this a couple of times to remove as much of the old fluid as possible.

But you can't go wrong with having it serviced either - all depends on how much you want to spend on it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to immediately quieten down the pump and add life to the pump & seals.
Here is the ticket. It works great and is safe as a synthetic to mix with ATF+4.
Simply suction out the current fluid in the power steering pump and add the Lubegard.
If you want PM RYAN & Jen, ask him how he likes it after I just did his. No stiff steering when cold and dead quiet.
37669[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• LubeGardPS32oz.jpg
    LubeGardPS32oz.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 0

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I would go with the turkey baster to remove the old fluid. Then replace with ATF+4, as manual states.

Ehm,.... as strange as it seems, for some MYs, or setups/export, don't know, factory fill was MS-5931 Power Steering Fluid ( Mopar ), neither ATF+4 NOR the other Power Steering Fluid (MS-10838) which some Grand Cherokees use. I know the FSM states ATF+4, but my MY '06 uses MS-5931. I'm sure.
My kj is not US built, anyway (got the dana 44....)

If it's was up to me, I'd put this warning 'sticky', in the required fluid types post, as I'm not sure one can tell the dye of the fluid after some years of use...

And yes, the turkey baster method is ok, way better than nothing anyway.... I felt the difference!!!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Forget the baster. I use a veterinary syringe with a rubber hose works great.
37672[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• VeterinarianOilSyringe.jpg
    VeterinarianOilSyringe.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 0

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2

I use the same 'device' but keep on calling the method 'turkey baster'.... good for diffs as well!

(A bit frightening though :eek: still after removing the neddle!!!!)

On mine duct is a 10'' outer sleeve stripped from a TV coax-cable :D

BTW, about the OP, noise might well come from the steering rack (yes, $$$..), is caused by ...wear, so options are:
change it, have a rebuild done by a professional or live with it.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I will look into the Lube Guard and see if that helps...and yeah that syringe is a good idea, just not sure how to get one lol

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I haven't had a chance to do the lube guard yet, but as I was driving into work the sound didn't go away. It was just as loud when I started the jeep as it was after driving 20 minutes. I listened from the side and under the hood but its too hard to narrow down where it's coming from. When I'm at the side it sounds like it's coming from underneath, when I'm at the engine, it sounds like it's coming from there. Maybe I just need to take it to the Jeep dealer and have them take a look.

Also, when I first started it and heard the noise, I turned the wheels all the way a couple times and the noise didn't change or stop or worsen. So not sure if it's the PS.

--my wife took it home from work and by the time she got there she said the sound was gone...so, not sure if that helps any but still not sure what it might be--

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If it is the tensioner & idler pulley the dealer OEM part is not the best choice.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45575&highlight=EPDM
Dayco Tensioner & idler Pulley assembly: 89254 $41.79 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1425866,parttype,11659,a,www.google.ca%2BSearch%2Bfor%2BBelt%2BDrive%2BBelt%2BTensioner%2BDayco
Dayco Video & Info : http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=960348
Use an OEM EPDM serpentine belt or one by GATES is also EPDM.
Yes an inspection is in order, removing the belt and checking each accessory pulley/belt is best but an auto stethoscope can help to identify the area of a bad pulley, don't get too close to moving parts.
37686[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• AliceLake00B.jpg
    AliceLake00B.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay, thanks...is there any way to narrow down if it's the tensioner/pulley? one post said something about if it gets louder with the a/c on, that is an indication it's that. i'll have to have my wife check it out when she goes to work since i'm not home and then i'll report back.
also, not sure about the condition of the belt, haven't looked at it in a while.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, im at work, but my wife is driving it and hes telling me its getting worse. she said it got worse earlier and now shes out again and said its even more worse now. I'll see if she can swing it into a garage to look at it quickly.
but yeah, now it's just consistently making that sound, regardless of temperature...and it sounds bad!

Last edited:

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay, so we had a mechanic listen to it since we dont have time to drop it off and he just said that he needs to spend time with it and listen. it could be a pulley like the tensioner or water pump but he has to take the belt off and spin each pulley separately to see which is making the noise.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mechanic said it was a bad a/c unit. so hes getting a used one (with a warranty) to put it, but i wanted to see if anyone knew if it was ok to not charge it yet and hold off a few months, or will it damage it not to have freon in it?
Thanks!

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a/c helps on rainy days, keeps humidity out!!! Even in cold wheather... Just my 0.02

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, just wanted to make sure nothing would be damaged if it wasn't charge and we drove for a while like that. if the humidity is a problem we can always take it in to be serviced, i just don't want to break anything in the meantime

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
When it comes to air conditioning the correct procedure is first determine where the leak of refrigerant is coming from.
This is normally done by installing a dye into the re-charge. Then run a week or so to determine what other possible components may need replacement.
The refrigerant also contains the lubrication for the bearings, so when you are out, you could potentially seize the compressor's pulley, and watch your belt fly to pieces.
Your licensed mechanic should know these things otherwise consult an auto air conditioning shop.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Caravan used to do it and did for years until I changed the fluid one day. The noise started again the first really cold week but then stopped the remainder of the time I owned it which was at least one more year.
It sounded like the drag off a really big fishing reel or something. lol

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the tips. but the ac was definitely shot. it was such a loud sound and was only getting worse every time we drove. he replaced it and there isn't a single sound coming out of the ac compressor. even ticking that has been there since we bought the vehicle has disappeared.
the mechanic didn't plug in the electrical connectors to the compressor so (as he explained it) just works as a pulley and nothing internally operates until we hook it back up and put fluid in it.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to replace the whole thing, pump and reservoir. Mine is so loud, my neighbors can hear it inside there houses! And it's hard to steer, unless I warm it up for 5 minutes.
This is on my 04'. It wasn't that loud on my 02'! Tired of people staring at me, in the parking lot at work to! Sure it will probably start whining again, in a few years. If it lasts that long... Will have 150,000 miles on it, in the next week or two. Seems everything starts failing after you reach this mileage. It my second KJ. Been swapping the all the new parts I replaced on my 02' onto my 04' as they start failing... And it's much easier, the second time around!