We bought a portable/packable wood stove.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Not the one that's in one of our recent photo's from last weekend, (That one was built from a recycled propane cylinder) but a smaller one with a cooking grille attached on top.
Nice compact unit complete with stove pipes and top hat to keep water out.
Gonna add that to our 10X20 foot portable garage and turn that into our 4X4 gangs official outdoor camp kitchen/Vegpit!
It's amazing how 10-15 degrees warmer than outside temperature makes camping in late fall that much more comfortable!
Also great for drying out wet clothing!
Now we'll never have a shortage of hot water for washing up!
I figure a 7 Kg. bag of charcoal briquettes will do quite well for several hours of righteous outdoor heat!

I'll post photographs of our new setup when we get home.

I think I'll put a donation can at the entrance and charge a toll for warming up!
Good way to re-coop the $99.00 cost!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Well...
This thing was a total pain in the ass!
Instead of being able to sit back and relax and enjoy the heat, it was more like stoking a friggin locomotive!
Too small!
Looks like I'll be making a bigger unit that can actually hold 2-3 good sized chunks of unrefined paper products and burn for longer than 5-10 minutes!

Oh well, $100.00 saved!

http://www.princessauto.com/surplus...rplus/8192403-great-northern-steel-camp-stove

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, I have used one of the portable smaller wood stoves years ago. The one I had was designed for use inside a tent, complete with all the piping. It was fairly cheap, price and quality. At night we would stuff that thing with Oak and the sides would glow, but would only throw heat for about 1.5 hours at best. Good luck.

DJ

WilliamLaurence

Reaction score
I bought one of these from ChimneyHeaters.com . I installed and it works fine. Heats my 2000 square foot house. I have the pump connected to a UPS but I am not sure how long the pump will run if the electric goes out. I had it installed all winter and did not have to turn on my Electric heat once which saved me about 200 euro a month here in Romania.

The Electric is not stable here so I had to rush to take out the fire a couple of times because the water pump had stopped and the pressure valves were going off. The UPS will solve that but I dont know how long a UPS will keep my central pump going. I will attach a pic of what chimney heaters are in case you are not familiar with them. The pump is a Grundfos and has three speeds.