Water leak- passenger side- quick fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdons_crd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've had a few big down pours here in WA the last couple of weeks, and with that comes a sopping wet passenger side floor?! What?! We've only had our KJ for a couple months, but I figured with as much info as I've gotten already, I should contribute. I did a search on here to find common leak areas, and I double checked all those with nothing. I zip tied the garden house to the roof rack and got to tracking, took the seat out, folded over the carpet and took the drenched carpet pad out. I took the plastic shield out from under the dashboard right under the fan motor and left the water running. After a few minutes there was a drip. It was dripping right off of the motor casing. I took the hood cowel off and noticed the intake baffle for the vent ducting. The water was pooling and draining in the right places. I took it off and found the water inside the fan, around the padding and dripping down the case. The gasket material had gone bad so I resealed it and tightened it back down. Waited and turned the water on again, NO water!

Not sure if this has been covered before, I didn't see it on the search so hopefully this can just be one more place someone can double check while chasing a leak.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from your Mom's house using Tapatalk

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well done - I've not seen that repair before!

Thanks for posting this :waytogo:

Bob

bdons_crd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man! I look forward to posting up future fixes and mods.

Sent from your Mom's house using Tapatalk

Packdog

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing

Awesome! Thanks a ton for sharing. We've had those showers in the Vancouver, WA area too.

My Liberty isn't leaking, but I talked to a girl who works at Home Depot who described the same problem that you had. She's had it at the dealer twice and they couldn't find it. I'll tell her about this next time I see her.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting! I discovered my wet floor mat back in June and haven't tracked it down yet. Man did it take a while to air out :) Much appreciated.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting! I discovered my wet floor mat back in June and haven't tracked it down yet. Man did it take a while to air out :) Much appreciated.

,,,,,,,,,,,On The Surface! I'll bet it's still molding and rotting down deep. :icon_twisted:

Bob

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wet floor mats

If you detect a wet floor mat, the only way to get all the water out is to remove the seats and carpet down to the steel floor pan and dry out everything before re-installing. Of course, do this after fixing the leak. If you just let the top carpet dry out, the underlayment remains wet and breeds musty odors, mold and eventually rust in the floor pan. Ask any convertible owner....

OP, how did you repair the leaky gasket? New gasket? Silicone sealant? What? Thanks for sharing your info on this problem.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good thread bdons. Very helpful. I made it a "sticky".

Dave

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this thing is under the hood or in the footwell uner the glove compartment. And howd you reseal i am assuming some rtv will work. Does anybody have any pictures of this fix.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this repair on Monday and I used RTV. The pungent silicone smell got rid of the musty smell that I had, so that is better. I won't know if this was the cure for me until a good rain. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures but comparing what I saw to the OP, my '06 has a damper or filter in the opening. This is once the screen is removed. (btw, that was a 10mm socket for the 4 nuts that hold the screen down). And remember to reconnect the wiper fluid hose when reinstalling the cowling....

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: been through several days of rain and no leaks. Thanks OP for figuring this out...wish I had that kind of time :)

djpearce

Reaction score
Made the same repair to my our 06 liberty this past week end. I bought a roll of 1/4 inch wide sticky back foam weather striping at Lowes and replace the worn out factory foam seal. Also took out a ton of leaves and crap from around the screen and under the wiper motor.

J.C.

Reaction score
So this thing is under the hood or in the footwell uner the glove compartment. And howd you reseal i am assuming some rtv will work. Does anybody have any pictures of this fix.

Under the rear edge of the bonnet. The plastic cowl that covers the wiper mechanism has to be removed. Wiper arms and four plastic plugs have to be removed to give access to the intake cover.

Toymanjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Experienced this a couple of weeks ago, 1.5 gallons of water in pass side! Did the repair, my gasket did not appear to be leaking, have yet to test it. When I removed the plastic vowel cover 2 of the clips to the windshield were broken, I broke 2 more....how much good is the only remaining one gonna do ?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should replace the clips so that the cowl will not leak and so that it does not move around and cause problems.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: been through several days of rain and no leaks. Thanks OP for figuring this out...wish I had that kind of time :)
Update: As Annapolis has become the new Seattle apparently, all this rain must have taken its toll. My Husky floor liners have been showing signs of this leak again. I think I may have used the wrong material to seal it. I'll try to remove the rtv and use some weather stripping as another poster did. Any other recommendations for material?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like water is coming down the passenger A pillar. I am assuming I have the leaking pinch weld mentioned elsewhere. Any other thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Therian

Reaction score
I had the same leak and it ended up being the seal between the door and the frame....I used silicone and no more problems.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.