Was wondering why my feet were wet this morning..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a 12" rust gash right under the carpet :( looks like its right under my left foot where the mat "hook" is... I can see the ground when i lift up the carpet :( That's not considered
The rocker panel is it?? I have to find a shop in ny that can fix This and fast!!

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
13 years and over 330,000 miles of pure driving entertainment :) I went over the whole undercarriage... That's the only spot that I have a problem.
You must be registered for see images

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes you wonder if that's the only rust problem what was the cause and did it rust from the outside in or the inside out.

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh boy... I hope she can be saved! Here's what I found today :( I made an appointment to have it looked at tomorrow :( in the meantime... Gorilla tape is my friend :) ... I managed to seal it up over and under as best as I could and also put a piece of plastic under the wire harness...

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lesson kiddies: get all the sand out of your car when you go to the beach... I found about 2lbs of sand under my carpet ...

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang! So the floor pan is rusted out? Thats amazing to say the least.

Hate to see the rest of the under body.

The rest of the underbody is clean as a whistle... It's almost like i had a small hole before my beach adventures which were many... To say the least... I was always gung ho about not giving a f' when it came down to sand getting in my car... And I have that hole in my carpet where my right heel sits... Soooo... All the sand / salt over/under the carpet was just a recipe for disaster... The passenger side is clean and still all black... This is localized to the driver side... I hope I can get this fixed... It looks REALLY bad... And knowing I just dropped about 6800 bucks on a brand new engine, rebuilt trans, and all the suspension bells and whistles... Makes me nervous!!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Worst comes to worst, screw a panel of heavy gauge sheet metal over the hole top and bottom with a layer of bondo in between. I did that with an old Buick and when it finally went to its reward I think that was the only part of the undercarriage still solid.

BTW: When I was a kid I used to sit in the back seat of my dad's old Fairlane 500 and watch the asphalt under the car. :rofl:

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you how that happened. Number one, you live in the rust belt. You eastern states are slow to learn sodium chloride does more harm than good, including polluting the environment. It does billions of dollars of damage every year, solely because people clean roads and won't learn to drive in winter.

In your case, getting in your vehicle in the winter with snow on your shoes, tracks in the salt. It has no where to go, and when it melts, it sits on the metal. A few car companies, especially Honda, had a brilliantly stupid idea long ago, to put the ECM on the floorboard on the passenger side. As a result, an older fuel injected Civic or Accord would come in on a wrecker, not running. Pull the carpet back, and the ECM and harness have all rotted away from the same affect.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that's the worst rust I've seen in a while. Main reason I undercoated my entire Jeep and I keep a close eye on it. I got some weathertech floor liners to prevent rusting from inside.

I can tell you how that happened. Number one, you live in the rust belt. You eastern states are slow to learn sodium chloride does more harm than good, including polluting the environment. It does billions of dollars of damage every year, solely because people clean roads and won't learn to drive in winter.

Well said. And on that note I need to go wash my Jeep.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that's the worst rust I've seen in a while. Main reason I undercoated my entire Jeep and I keep a close eye on it. I got some weathertech floor liners to prevent rusting from inside.

Well said. And on that note I need to go wash my Jeep.

Czar, I agree. This thread gives me the urge to run to the self-serve wash and power spray the underside of the Jeep - even though I just did it on Friday. But they're spraying brine and other crap on the roads today cuz it "might" snow tonight.

Hate exposing the Libby to that junk... :icon_sad:

Bob

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You all missed what he was saying "sand from the beach"(ocean variety) is loaded with salt and apparently ate through from the inside.

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a side note... It snowed last night and its raining today... I had to go out driving around for a couple of hours this morning... and the gorilla tape job held up 100% so far lol... It just has to last till I can get to the body shop till later... But man that stuff is tough!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twack just bought another member's KJ that rolled, I believe for the drivetrain. If you ask nicely, maybe he can cut the driver's floorpan out for a decent price and you can have it patched in to yours :)

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I have to clean that area (under the carpet @ left foot) regularly .. it doesn't take long to fill up with dirt and such.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You all missed what he was saying "sand from the beach"(ocean variety) is loaded with salt and apparently ate through from the inside.

I saw it, but his exposure to that salt would likely be limited at worst. Plenty of beachgoers in Florida, and their water is just as salty. Didn't see that kind of floorpan rust very often there. As I said before, based on considerable first hand experience in the rust belt, tracking the crude in from snow stuck to your footwear is the biggest cause of the inner floorpan rust. Out here, we figured it out long ago. They sparingly use sand and use magnesium chloride which isn't nearly as bad. We live in snow country, we embrace it and deal with it. If the rest of the country would follow suit.

Jerpaderp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got stationed out here in Montana, I noticed how much different it is without salt on the roads. It isn't that bad to drive in actually!

This thread reminds me.. I have yet to clean out the interior. I feel like I am in for a real treat :dancingpoop: :shakehead: