Viper 5101 Remote Start Keyless Entry, Omega ChDL4-P

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently installed a Viper 5101 Remote Start Keyless Entry unit with an Omega CHDL4-P vehicle interface in my 2003 Jeep Liberty.

The installation instructions were okay if you're familiar with remote car starters, but there were parts of it that were very vague. The installation manual is clearly designed for the professional installer who does this day-in and day-out. Luckily with the help of www.the12volt.com and my prior knowledge of remote car starters I accomplished the install with very little trouble. I don't think it's an install for the faint of heart.

A word of caution. Directed Electronic Inc, the makers of the Viper brand, won't give you a lick of support if you're not an authorized dealer. They also won't offer a warranty on the product unless installed by an authorized dealer. I thought that was pretty crappy.

As for the Omega CHDL4-P vehicle interface that bridges the connection between the remote car starter's keyless entry and vehicle systems, It doesn't work as advertised.

I wired it up exactly as instructed and the parking lights DO NOT work. I contacted Omega's tech support several times and they couldn't figure it out either. Other than that, it works fine.

In regards to the function of everything, the Viper 5101 works awesome. The range is extremely good, and it starts every time. The keyless entry portion of it works awesome too. The door looks and flip glass all work just as they should. I couldn't be happier.

The Viper 5101 has a lot of features and conveniences built into it, some of which I'll never use. One of the features is that it has three auxillary outputs. These can be used to trigger relays. For example, I connect the AUX1 ouput wire to the rear defroster so I can activate the rear defroster and heated mirrors with the push of a button. It's a really handy feature.

All and all, I'm glad I installed it. I'm very happy with the outcome. I think the tech support through Directed Electronics and Omega could have been better, but other than that, I'm happy.

L

lil black liberty

I recently installed a Viper 5101 Remote Start Keyless Entry unit with an Omega CHDL4-P vehicle interface in my 2003 Jeep Liberty.

The installation instructions were okay if you're familiar with remote car starters, but there were parts of it that were very vague. The installation manual is clearly designed for the professional installer who does this day-in and day-out. Luckily with the help of www.the12volt.com and my prior knowledge of remote car starters I accomplished the install with very little trouble. I don't think it's an install for the faint of heart.

A word of caution. Directed Electronic Inc, the makers of the Viper brand, won't give you a lick of support if you're not an authorized dealer. They also won't offer a warranty on the product unless installed by an authorized dealer. I thought that was pretty crappy.

As for the Omega CHDL4-P vehicle interface that bridges the connection between the remote car starter's keyless entry and vehicle systems, It doesn't work as advertised.

I wired it up exactly as instructed and the parking lights DO NOT work. I contacted Omega's tech support several times and they couldn't figure it out either. Other than that, it works fine.

In regards to the function of everything, the Viper 5101 works awesome. The range is extremely good, and it starts every time. The keyless entry portion of it works awesome too. The door looks and flip glass all work just as they should. I couldn't be happier.

The Viper 5101 has a lot of features and conveniences built into it, some of which I'll never use. One of the features is that it has three auxillary outputs. These can be used to trigger relays. For example, I connect the AUX1 ouput wire to the rear defroster so I can activate the rear defroster and heated mirrors with the push of a button. It's a really handy feature.

All and all, I'm glad I installed it. I'm very happy with the outcome. I think the tech support through Directed Electronics and Omega could have been better, but other than that, I'm happy.

Sounds awesome and yeah Directed Electronics Cust Svc *****.. I tried to return a sub of theirs.. almost 3 months and finally they honored the warranty.. I told them it was their fault the sub was broke because it really was bad packaging led to the magnet cracking..

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ironic part is that they brag about their customer service and how award winning it is. lol

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I have the Sentry anti-theft.

No, I don't have any pics of the install. I could take a few snap shots though. I still have to wire up the parking lights, which means I have to get back in there anyway. I mounted everything on the plastic piece just above your feet.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score

These are all the wires on the Viper 5101

You must be registered for see images

This is the door lock interface wiring. Please note that the parking lights do not work through the module, therefore do not wire them through the door lock interface.

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shaffer -

I can PM you, but thought it may be beneficial to have it documented here.

Where did you tap into the vehicle wiring for the door glass release and for the rear defroster?

Also, do you have the "two-stage" unlock completed, where hitting unlock once pops the driver's door only, and twice pops all of them? I, for the life of me, could never find the correct pinout from the BCM and have the driver's door only unlock.

I have the DEI Valet 562T and so far I am really pleased with it. Had it in for 2 years now. I agree - the12volt is a great site, and this install isn't for the faint of heart!

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shaffer -

I can PM you, but thought it may be beneficial to have it documented here.

Where did you tap into the vehicle wiring for the door glass release and for the rear defroster?

Also, do you have the "two-stage" unlock completed, where hitting unlock once pops the driver's door only, and twice pops all of them? I, for the life of me, could never find the correct pinout from the BCM and have the driver's door only unlock.

I have the DEI Valet 562T and so far I am really pleased with it. Had it in for 2 years now. I agree - the12volt is a great site, and this install isn't for the faint of heart!

The rear glass is popped when you hold the "aux" button on the remote for a couple seconds. There is no wiring correction for though. I believe the signal is sent through the data bus connection to the OBDII plug.

As for the rear defrogger/defroster, it's simple. Simply supply a -200mA pulse to the violet/black wire going into the connector at the back of the defogger switch to activate and deactive the defogger circuit. Basically the violet/black wire is connected to the 86 pin of the defogger relay.

I don't have the two-stage unlocking set up. I never even messed with it. From the instructions on the CHDL4-P it can be programmed at the module though.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I found this image very helpful when locating and identifying the connectors @ the BCM/Junction block

mntnbkr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh... I wish I would have known about this Omega interface module about a year ago when I installed a bi-directional remote start / keyless entry in my wifes '02 KJ. I used all my own home made resistor packs / relays for the keyless entry. That was a PITA.