Urgent need of help! Malfunction Indicator light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mawald

Reaction score
I am stuck in a small town in south Oman on my way back to Dubai (1300 km) and the Malfunction Idicator Light (engine shape) is lit and black smoke with gasoline fumes from exaust pipe. There is no Jeep garage for 1000 km. I understand it probably has to do with fuel injection trimming. What can I do to fix and can I drive back to Dubai?
It is a 3.7L 2003 Limited

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
try to get the error code...
on the ignition key
ithink you need to do go on-off-on-off-on-off while holding down the reset button on the odometer...(on being the acc, not to crank the engine over)
the guages should do a cycle, and the odometer is going to count either up or down..(I dont remember) then it will give you a 4 digit code....

post it up here...so we'll know what's going on...

mawald

Reaction score
Thanks, I have tried to get the code using both method 1 and 2 posted here earlier. But Method 1 nothing happens, method 2 it does a selfcheck but no code is displayed. It displays 1.4 just befoere showing the constant odometer reading.

mawald

Reaction score
On off on off on did nothing. The odometer reading just stared back at me, not even blinking

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Weird. Even if there were no codes being thrown by the computer (which there are, because the engine light is on), "done" should have been displayed by the computer in the odometer display.

#-o

mawald

Reaction score
I tried again and you are right got code 171 (The oxygen sensor is saying that the system air/fuel mix is far too lean (too much fuel is being added as a correction). So is there anything I can do to fix this?

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Try reseting the computer by removing one of the battery terminals.

Bennett

mawald

Reaction score
YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!
I disconnected the battery and like a miracle the yellow engine lamp is no more shining in my face. This feels so good, I ll take it out for a short spin now to be sure all is ok. Then I can head back for Dubai tomorrow.

Thanks to all you who have helped!!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Sounds like one of your oxygen sensors has gone bad. (That's usually the case, however, it could be deeper than that) If it's bad, then the problem will just come back. (So will the smoke, light, code, etc.)

Ain't computers grand...even though they do suck half the time.

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though you disconnected the battery terminal and the light went off doesnt mean the problem is solved. Dirve it and see what you get. O2 sensor must be reading that the fuel is too lean and telling the computer to dump of extra fuel into the intake and not burning all of it up and just shooting it throught the exhaust. Dont you just love emissions.

mawald

Reaction score
took it out for 20 km run and everything works fine now, fuel consumption is down with 50% according to EVIC. So I feel confortable doing 1000 km through the desert tomorrow.
But you say the problem might come back, guess I shall service it if that happens.
Anyway you don t know what a releif this is.

Martin

2003KJ

Reaction score
If you can make it back home, I would definately have it looked at. I agree that this is probably only a temporary fix.

Out of curiosity, which method worked for you? I've heasrd a couple of people say to me that the holding the ignition button down thing only does an instrument cluster check, and doesn't scan the computer. But Somebody else on here used that method yesterday when theirs lit up, and it worked perfectly. Cause I can't get the on off on off on off thing to work.....I think you have to count to five or something like that between cycles.

btw, you can just kiss any hopes of gas milage bye bye for this tank....LOL

mawald

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Have now made it back to Dubai after a 1152 km drive on good roads thru the desert of Oman. The KJ worked like a Swiss watch, not a problem. Set the cruise control at 120 km/h (some shaking in the steering wheel) and set off. Almost 15 hours later I’m home with an average fuel consumption of only 11.7 l/100 km which I consider to be good. I think the problem can have been caused when filling the tank with low octane petrol (91). The ride was beautiful, starting in sand dune landscape only to climb up to higher altitude and wind between high naked mountains (2500 m) and a cloud free sky. The KJ handles beautiful in desert and mountain terrains.
The KJ I drive (called Cherokee in this part of the world) is a 2004 Limited 3.7L. (http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/778566)
To get the error code I turned the ignition key from off to on three times (not to acc as described in the document) One thing I noticed was that it only worked if the doors were closed (strange).

One (once again) happy Swedish KJ owner in the Middle East

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U know, we truly have a family here. Im so glad u got ur kj fixed, If i had to guess, i would say that it was a oxygen sensor also. Have u tried pulling any codes after the light went off? I wouldnt get it checked out unless it does it again, im sure they wouldnt be able to find anything wrong with it, unless the light comes on again and a code is thrown. So dont waste ur money.

VTjeepguy

Reaction score
thanks for the help. i googled MIL and found this sight. did the on off, on off thing and got code 442. tightened the gas cap and will see what happens when i drive it again. so it goes without saying i registered here. great resource. where was this kind of stuff when i had an 89 wrangler in the mid 90's???

Latest posts

Members online