Urgent Help required with ABS Pump problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I need badly the help of anyone who knows or has experienced the problem I have with my new ABS unit.

I live in England and I have a Right Hand Drive KJ 2.8 L Turbo Diesel CRD manual Gear box that I bought brand new in 2007 but built in 2006 (according to the VIN).

I've had a problem with the brakes for about 18 months now. The car stops when the brake pedal is depressed but if I leave my foot on the pedal once the car has stopped the brake pedal keeps going down instead of staying at a steady level. This was getting that bad that the pedal was almost touching the floor so I took my KJ to my local mechanic and friend of long date. He advised me to buy a new brake booster. So I ordered an OEM Mopar one from Tampa Florida and my mechanic replaced it but the problem remained.

He told me then that the cause was the Master cylinder so I bough one from Tampa again. He replaced it but the problem remained.

He told me then there was nothing else to replace but the ABS unit so I bought a brand new ABS Control unit and ABS module (pump) and now having replaced the parts he informed that all the warning lights related to the brakes are on in the Dashboard!!
I spoke to him on the phone 1 hour ago and he told me that he connected a computer to the car to find a code for the fault but nothing. He then removed the new ABS pump and put back the old pump and he said all the warning lights in the dashboard are now off.

He asked me to email the supplier of the parts in Florida to ask if there isn't an inversion of wire to do because in US the cars are Left Hand drive and mine is Right hand drive.

I checked the site of the OEM Mopar parts and anyway the parts have the same reference (so are the same) for the Left Hand drive and the Right Hand drive Liberty Diesel or Petrol and even the same for the Jeep Commander!!!

I am desperate to get this done because my car is now due for MOT wich is a yearly safety check compulsory in UK and without it I am not allowed to drive the car or in case of an accident my insurance would be void.

If any of you guys have had this problem or know someone who can help me, please give me a shout.

Regards,

Chris
Hythe, Kent, UK

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I need badly the help of anyone who knows or has experienced the problem I have with my new ABS unit.

I live in England and I have a Right Hand Drive KJ 2.8 L Turbo Diesel CRD manual Gear box that I bought brand new in 2007 but built in 2006 (according to the VIN).

I've had a problem with the brakes for about 18 months now. The car stops when the brake pedal is depressed but if I leave my foot on the pedal once the car has stopped the brake pedal keeps going down instead of staying at a steady level. This was getting that bad that the pedal was almost touching the floor so I took my KJ to my local mechanic and friend of long date. He advised me to buy a new brake booster. So I ordered an OEM Mopar one from Tampa Florida and my mechanic replaced it but the problem remained.

He told me then that the cause was the Master cylinder so I bough one from Tampa again. He replaced it but the problem remained.

He told me then there was nothing else to replace but the ABS unit so I bought a brand new ABS Control unit and ABS module (pump) and now having replaced the parts he informed that all the warning lights related to the brakes are on in the Dashboard!!
I spoke to him on the phone 1 hour ago and he told me that he connected a computer to the car to find a code for the fault but nothing. He then removed the new ABS pump and put back the old pump and he said all the warning lights in the dashboard are now off.

He asked me to email the supplier of the parts in Florida to ask if there isn't an inversion of wire to do because in US the cars are Left Hand drive and mine is Right hand drive.

I checked the site of the OEM Mopar parts and anyway the parts have the same reference (so are the same) for the Left Hand drive and the Right Hand drive Liberty Diesel or Petrol and even the same for the Jeep Commander!!!

I am desperate to get this done because my car is now due for MOT wich is a yearly safety check compulsory in UK and without it I am not allowed to drive the car or in case of an accident my insurance would be void.

If any of you guys have had this problem or know someone who can help me, please give me a shout.

Regards,

Chris
Hythe, Kent, UK

Your original problem may be leaking vacuum coming from the vacuum pump to the brake servo.

I would advise you to download the complete Service manual here...about 63Mb. Download the 2006-KJ-SM PDF

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi BillWill,

I am going to investigate your option. Thank you to take the time to message me and also thanks for the KJ Service Manual. This is an unvaluable piece of information indeed!!

Cheers,

Chris