Upsizing the battery...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because i'm bored, it's time to revisit an old idea.

Who's upsized the battery in the KJ, without relocating it.
Anyone done a dual battery setup in the engine bay? seems like lots of potential space on the passenger side maybe?

I want to put in something with bigger capacity and can handle the draw the plow puts on it, as well as run my clay thrower without having to bring a seperate battery.

Kj/toy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because i'm bored, it's time to revisit an old idea.

Who's upsized the battery in the KJ, without relocating it.
Anyone done a dual battery setup in the engine bay? seems like lots of potential space on the passenger side maybe?

I want to put in something with bigger capacity and can handle the draw the plow puts on it, as well as run my clay thrower without having to bring a seperate battery.

Sasquatchparts.com, there's some posts(lost jeeps) about buying a larger battery tray/hold down and /or just trimming the original tray..a few spark infested KJ's have purchased this item...I'm still on the fence(about buying). Good luck....

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I crammed a group 34 in mine. I have a 2002, later models had a bigger tray that fit that size stock, if you have the smaller size, group 58, you can just trim the tray to fit. Easy. I think I did a small write up or follow up on it if you search my posts.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I miss the group 65 I put in my last two vehicles... snagged from a Ford F250 during cash for clunkers when I worked at a dealership. That giant **** Ford battery had some serious cranking and reserve power!

I don't have any accessories that use extra juice on my KJ, but for a loaded, stock vehicle, the factory group size for my 03 is perfect. ... Assuming you buy a quality battery to begin with.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size do you have in it now?

Exide Classic Group 34C.

I found that Sasquatch battery tray replacement that allows a group 65 battery. Does that give a decent amount of increase?

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I miss the group 65 I put in my last two vehicles... snagged from a Ford F250 during cash for clunkers when I worked at a dealership. That giant **** Ford battery had some serious cranking and reserve power!

I don't have any accessories that use extra juice on my KJ, but for a loaded, stock vehicle, the factory group size for my 03 is perfect. ... Assuming you buy a quality battery to begin with.

Yea. I run a plow in the winter, a winch when I need to, and at least once a month i'm out killing clays, so I'd like to run the thrower off the jeep and not carry a spare battery all the time.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Exide Classic Group 34C.

I found that Sasquatch battery tray replacement that allows a group 65 battery. Does that give a decent amount of increase?

Do some research on the guy first
See how long the actual time frame is for turn around
Maybe better now but,.......

sasquatchms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do some research on the guy first
See how long the actual time frame is for turn around
Maybe better now but,.......

The current batch of pre-orders is scheduled to ship by January 13th. Right now there is only one slot left in the final pre-order batch. After that one is sold, the price is going up, and the trays will be a normal stocking item. (Pre-orders are offered at a discounted price.)

Let me know if you guys have any questions about us or our products.

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first question is, will a group 65 be a noticeable improvement over the group 34 battery.

sasquatchms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first question is, will a group 65 be a noticeable improvement over the group 34 battery.

Group 34 is rated at ~800 CCA. Group 65 is rated at ~950 CCA. That's about 20% more CCA. It also has more reserve capacity. So yes, there is a definitely a noticeable improvement, particularly if you're running additional accessories (like a plow and a winch) or need more reliable cold-starting on CRD models.

sasquatchms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THE PRE-ORDER HAS ENDED

Thanks to everyone who ordered! All buyers should have already received an email with an ETA. If you didn't please contact us: https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/contact/

The pre-order has ended but you can still order the trays on our web site on a built-to-order basis. We're working on getting them in stock but in the meantime you can order and we will ship as soon as the next batch is ready. Both green and black are now available.

Click here to order: https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/products/battery-tray-for-jeep-liberty-2-8l-crd/

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Does the battery temperature sensor still mount into the new tray design?
Round piece in center of tray.
57886[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• New%20Battery%20For%20Jeep5.jpg
    New%20Battery%20For%20Jeep5.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 3

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This may not be a good thing.
The Pcm may then sense a cold battery & therefore continuously change at max output?
PM Troy's input into this thread on this one...

sasquatchms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're concerned about it, there is certainly enough space to mount the sensor. See photo below. Our shop mainly focuses on the CRD, and the 2005 models don't even have the sensor.

You must be registered for see images attach

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The recommendation is :icon_idea: use a double sided tape on that sensor, and secure it on the bottom of the battery= done :gr_grin:
( a SFA orange Jeeper told me)...eclipsee_gold_cup.g:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My 05 3.7 doesn't have it either. That being said, maybe it's programmed differently or uses the EVIC temp sensor, so maybe on one that has it you just can't remove it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 05 3.7 doesn't have it either. That being said, maybe it's programmed differently or uses the EVIC temp sensor, so maybe on one that has it you just can't remove it.

That temp sensor is used on '02-'04 KJ's if I remember right and they phased it out for '05+ like the PS pressure sensor.

It's a vital component and just can not be left out,not having that sensor will turn on the check engine light for those of us that have it.