uprated battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been looking, as I've been having issues with the current one when you combine cold and sitting idle for a couple of days... here at Wallymart Canada, they have the Optimas, and also "Energizer" brand.

A little research on the web seems to indicate that the Energizer is made by Johnson Controls, who also makes Die Hard and other "house brand" batteries, and who also recently bought out Optima.

The red top (RT below) is going for $179, the higher-end model of Energizer (EN below) is $109.

The specs are as follows, as best as I can recall:

RT - 1000 A
EN - 1000 A

RT - 800 CCA
EN - 795 CCA

RT - 3 year replacement warranty
EN - 3 year replacement warranty

RT - 10 year warranty
EN - 9 year warranty

Both are a nice step up from the stock battery at 600 CCA as I recall.

But I'm not clear on why I should spend an additional $70 for the red top.

Appreciate your thoughts :)

Dave

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I've been looking, as I've been having issues with the current one when you combine cold and sitting idle for a couple of days... here at Wallymart Canada, they have the Optimas, and also "Energizer" brand.

A little research on the web seems to indicate that the Energizer is made by Johnson Controls, who also makes Die Hard and other "house brand" batteries, and who also recently bought out Optima.

The red top (RT below) is going for $179, the higher-end model of Energizer (EN below) is $109.

RT - 1000 A
EN - 1000 A

RT - 800 CCA
EN - 795 CCA

RT - 10 year warranty
EN - 9 year warranty

Dave

Bragging rights?
I went with Optima because I have one in my "Toy". Other conventional lead acid batteries have always gotten damaged, leaked acid and over time rotted out and destroyed the battery box, left me stranded waiting fo a tow back to town to fix every thing. I also like the fact that an Optima can be mounted in any position anywhere. Conventional lead acid batteries don't have that option.
Canadian Tire also sells Spiral wound batteries (Probably made by the same out fit as Optima)
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/s...400&subctgrid=1408474396672453&freshPage=true

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

RT - 1000 A
EN - 1000 A

RT - 800 CCA
EN - 795 CCA

RT - 10 year warranty
EN - 9 year warranty

Dave
Optima is owned by Interstate batteries.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Optima is owned by Interstate batteries.

Don't think so... not trying to be argumentative or anything :) but It appears that Johnson Controls bought Optima in 2000...

Johnson Controls hopes to Optimize new brand - The Business ...

Also...

Interstate Battery System of America, Inc., a.k.a. Interstate Batteries, is a privately-owned company that markets automotive batteries manufactured by Johnson Controls...

At any rate, money's tight so I bought the Energizer.

Dave

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bragging rights?
I went with Optima because I have one in my "Toy". Other conventional lead acid batteries have always gotten damaged, leaked acid and over time rotted out and destroyed the battery box, left me stranded waiting fo a tow back to town to fix every thing. I also like the fact that an Optima can be mounted in any position anywhere. Conventional lead acid batteries don't have that option.
Canadian Tire also sells Spiral wound batteries (Probably made by the same out fit as Optima)
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/s...400&subctgrid=1408474396672453&freshPage=true

Thanks socks, I certainly can see how the cool factor would apply :)

As mentioned above money is tight so I went with the Energizer... I now understand some of the reasons you might go with an Optima but I can't justify it at this time.

I saw the Canadian tire ones too, the specs are sparse on the web site for some of them though. Oh well, this one should keep me going for a while.

Dave

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Thanks socks, I certainly can see how the cool factor would apply :)

As mentioned above money is tight so I went with the Energizer... I now understand some of the reasons you might go with an Optima but I can't justify it at this time.

I saw the Canadian tire ones too, the specs are sparse on the web site for some of them though. Oh well, this one should keep me going for a while.

Dave

Just think, you got a pink bunny under the hood now!:D
And the money is tight statement I too can fully relate to.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think so... not trying to be argumentative or anything :) but It appears that Johnson Controls bought Optima in 2000...

Johnson Controls hopes to Optimize new brand - The Business ...

Also...

Interstate Battery System of America, Inc., a.k.a. Interstate Batteries, is a privately-owned company that markets automotive batteries manufactured by Johnson Controls...

At any rate, money's tight so I bought the Energizer.

Dave
Not accordong to Interstate they did not,I talk with the Interstate guys every week.

MoJoe

Reaction score
Optima is owned by JCI.

I am on the fence on what to purchase, I have not been having luck with batteries since my OE one died 2 years ago. I am tired of leaking batteries and corroded cables. I have replaced the alt, and it has been in the shop and nothing can be found wrong.

Is it a battery problem (cheap batteries), or something else? Input is appreciated.

Last edited: