Upper control arm removal...why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious. Why does everyone remove the UCA when adding a lift, change a strut, etc?

The FSM says to remove the LCA.

When I installed my lift it seemed easier to me to remove the LCA, so that's the way I did it.

Is it just a matter of personal preference?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disconnected my UCA at the ball joint when I installed my Daystar lift. It allowed the LCA to droop more so it was easier getting the strut assembly installed. I don't think I'd want to remove the LCA but maybe someone can explain why it would be preferable?

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it's 6 of one, half a dozen of another.

Here's is roughly how I did removed the strut.

1. Raise and support the vehicle under the "frame rail"
  2. Remove the front tire
  3. Remove the lower sway bar link
  4. Loosen both upper and lower clevis bolts
  5. Place a jack under the LCA to support. While the LCA is supported, remove the lower ball joint nut and tie-wire the UCA to the coil spring.
  6. SLOWLY lower the jack and separate the LCA from the lower ball joint.
    **Caution: The strut will be pushing down on the LCA so keep yourself clear.
  7. Remove the clevis bolts & clevis
  8. Lift the LCA back up with the floor jack to support the steering knuckle, UCA, etc. and cut the tie-wire.
  9. Remove the four upper strut nuts under the hood and remove the strut

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why even separate the LBJ? I have done almost 20 Frankinlifts and never seperated the LBJ unless we where replacing the LBJ's with the greaseable MOOG's.Nver took out the UCA's either unless I was swapping in JBA's UCA's.Half the stuff listed does not need to be done,it takes me less then 2 hours to install a Frankinlift,about 2.5 hours to do one with JBA UCA's also.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why even separate the LBJ? I have done almost 20 Frankinlifts and never seperated the LBJ unless we where replacing the LBJ's with the greaseable MOOG's.Nver took out the UCA's either unless I was swapping in JBA's UCA's.Half the stuff listed does not need to be done,it takes me less then 2 hours to install a Frankinlift,about 2.5 hours to do one with JBA UCA's also.

You are lucky I am not living closer to you or I would show up on your doorstep with my Jeep, a bunch of parts, beer and some cash, and then afterwards I would let you lead me to Ouray (or however you spell the place) as I always wanted to go there....haha.......:D

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are lucky I am not living closer to you or I would show up on your doorstep with my Jeep, a bunch of parts, beer and some cash, and then afterwards I would let you lead me to Ouray (or however you spell the place) as I always wanted to go there....haha.......:D

Dave
It sure wouldn't be Orray,I would take you to some better trails then anything you'd ever find there.Leave the Subaru's for Orray,take a Jeep on real trails!!!!!!!!

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So you just separate the UBJ and top and bottom clevis bolts and can get the strut out?

Last edited:

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive taken mine apart a dozen times and ive never done it the lower ball joint way its always easiest to take the control arms nut off

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive taken mine apart a dozen times and ive never done it the lower ball joint way its always easiest to take the control arms nut off

Do you split the joint with the forked chisel type or the threaded separator?

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've used a hammer on a few, but it can be nasty if the thing is really stuck. I just see so many of those forked chisel looking things available, but I suppose then it is important to get the right size so that you put pressure on the ball rather than the lip of the socket.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you split the joint with the forked chisel type or the threaded separator?
No split-fork (pickle fork) on the ball joints please! It will damage the rubber boots and then you'll need to replace them. If you need to separate a joint better to use something like a tie-rod or pitman arm separator; I've got one that I purchased from Autozone and it does the trick quite nicely. Never have been too keen on whacking cast components with a hammer :eek:

EDIT: or you could use something like Tony has in the pic above (got sidetracked while typing my post so I didn't see his until too late).

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless there is major rust a hammer will do great and cause no damage. ive taken mone apart so many times just a tiny tap and they all come apart

Awww KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done anything with the front end on our Liberty but it looked like the LCA is the point for an alignment to be done via the cam-bolt setup at the bushings, and the UCA is bolted in with no adjustment. The FSM is probably trying to save an alignment.