Upper control arm alternatives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JOSHMAVIATOR

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Looking to replace the front upper control arms while doing my lift and was looking at the either the Mevotech TTX, Mevotech GK3198, or Moog RK3198.

Anyone have any comments or recommendations on the ones mentioned above?

I would get JBAs but the cost to import them here in Canada is ridiculous.

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I can only recommend JBA… well worth the import fees… although they were likely much less 14 yrs ago. ;)

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I guess it just depends what you’re after. You really can’t compare the $100 Moogs to JBA. I would trust their ball joints all day long but that UCA looks mighty thin.
If you’re just on-road and on a budget and don’t have alignment issues with your lift then they may be just fine though.

Not trying to convince you ;) , but JBA’s are closer to $700 CDN delivered (to Ont)

Last edited:

ikuo78

Reaction score
Whether it's a fake or sold directly from the manufacturer, you can buy it on amazon.com.

You must be registered for see images attach

JOSHMAVIATOR

Reaction score
I guess it just depends what you’re after. You really can’t compare the $100 Moogs to JBA. I would trust their ball joints all day long but that UCA looks mighty thin.
If you’re just on-road and on a budget and don’t have alignment issues with your lift then they may be just fine though.

Not trying to convince you ;) , but JBA’s are closer to $700 CDN delivered (to Ont)
From where if I may ask? I've had a few shops quote me over 1k

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my 13 year old set cracked JBA overnighted me a brand new set free of charge. Incredible but true.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whether it's a fake or sold directly from the manufacturer, you can buy it on amazon.com.

I'd like to have a look at a set, they are incredibly cheap, don't know if I'd dare fit them though!

ikuo78

Reaction score
I'd like to have a look at a set, they are incredibly cheap, don't know if I'd dare fit them though!
I am still using the MOOG that I changed 4 years ago.

We don't want to sacrifice anyone.

But, I'm thinking of buying one if I need to replace the UCA next time.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to weigh the JBA’s vs. the knockoffs. I bet the JBA would be way heavier because they use thick tubing.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to weigh the JBA’s vs. the knockoffs. I bet the JBA would be way heavier because they use thick tubing.
That'd be a decent start, though of course QUALITY of the tubing, in addition to the thickness, is crucial as well as a host of other important factors mentioned earlier in the thread.

That said, given the many contributions and support to the Jeep community made by JBA, there is no real reason to participate in any form of IP or other counterfeiting of his ideas and products.

ON EDIT --In short, these Jeeps are an expensive vehicle to maintain and repair, but that is a generally known factor that should be going into the purchase decision in the first place.
And while it is a bummer that parts are continuing to get more rare, more unavailable, and more expensive, PARTICULARLY given JBA's dedication and outstanding customer service, it would likely be a disservice to the entire community to start buying cheap "Hecho en China" knockoffs of his life's work.

Just my .02

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I’m glad he didn’t confine his expertise to just Jeeps. ;)

I have a set in the ol cart as I decide on a lift. Check out these beefy monsters!

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put Mevotech Supreme CMK3198 on my KJ 2.5 years ago. No major issues yet after about 25,000km. There is a squeak over speed bumps from the front end, but I don't know if that is from the upper arms or some other component that I installed when I did the full front end refresh. I don't do harsh offroading. The toughest stuff is going up and down fire service roads here in BC, which are very rough, but its not Moab or anything.
The upper arms on the KJ are forged steel, so OEM or aftermarket are quite strong. Aftermarket upper arms like JBA use tubular steel because that is the correct material choice for low volume parts since forging tools are VERY expensive. Steel tubing is also lighter and more rigid per unit of weight when compared to a forged part.
If your just noodling around town I don't see any reason to buy JBA arms. If you're putting on MT tires, a locker and you're going to absolutely thrash your Jeep then there is probably a case to be made for them since they probably won't break as easily (?).

ikuo78

Reaction score
What many people are probably concerned about is whether or not the ball joint will break when the leg is fully extended.
The JBA arm has a significant geometry in place for that.
However, I often see posts saying that when the legs are fully extended, the arms hit the springs.
This annoys people just as much as the post about cracking and replacing it.

Perhaps the fundamental solution is
Limit the stroke on the extension side, or
Offsetting the ball joint upwards
I've never seen anything like that in KJ.
KK's member down kit had such parts.

It is a part with an arm growing from a square column.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Rocky Road UCAs. Them and the balljoints are going on 11 years now. Needed them at 2" lift and currently at 3". No issues.

ikuo78

Reaction score
I have the Rocky Road UCAs. Them and the balljoints are going on 11 years now. Needed them at 2" lift and currently at 3". No issues.
If the arm doesn't sell ball joints like a faucet sells water, it's user-friendly.
It is written on the website that Rocky Road is suitable for 2002-2012.

KK's arms are asymmetrical.
Is Rocky Road also asymmetrical?

I am considering the most efficient diversion to increase the caster angle.

(Rocky Road also comes with a lifetime warranty.)