Upgrading coil springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy All,

2005 Renegade, 101,000 miles still running original coil springs and shocks. Yes, the ride and handling is pretty bad now. Going to order OME springs from Jeepin By Al, but don't know if I should go medium or heavy. Right now, the KJ is mainly a commute vehicle, 96 miles a day over a twisty narrow mountain road with bad potholes. In the future, I plan on camping trips with the kids and towing a light trailer. Should I go medium or heavy duty springs? I plan on buying Bilstein shocks.

Tengai

Reaction score
OME - Medium vs. Heavy Springs

OME makes their springs in rates to compensate for heavier loads on (or expected to be on) the vehicle. Normally, an OME medium rate spring is used for vehicles where no additional hardware is expected to be added (HD front / rear bumpers, winch, rear bumper mounted tire carriers, loaded down roof racks, etc.). The Heavy springs would be used if the aforementioned items were added, or a heavy trailer is being pulled (on vehicles with front / rear springs you can actually have medium springs on the front and heavy springs on the rear based upon the intended use, etc.).

IMHO, a stock Liberty would be fine with the medium springs given minimal folks added the heavy items mentioned. I am getting ready to order the "Rockfather" suspension from Rocky-Roads and I am 99.9% sure their suppled OME front springs are medium rated.

Good luck!

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running my HDs now for 7 months. I like them because it gives you a good stiff sport feel. I don't run any extra equip like an ARB bumper or anything. I really like the way it handles. I took out the rear sway bar and it is still stiff in the corners. I don't think it is too stiff though however. Honestly I wish I could ride in one with the Medium springs so I could feel the difference. I would predict though that if I could drive one with the Medium springs it would confirm my opinion.

my 2¢.

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do drive like a maniac on the twisty road....

So one vote medium, one vote HD.

Any special tools needed for changing the coils?

Thanks

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I, too, run the heavy duty OME's. But I ordered them with intent to add to other lift components for maximum height and ride quality.

I have read where people that weren't interested in lift so much as better responding suspension have gone with the medium duty springs, and were happy with them.

So, I suppose it really depends on what you want your final outcome to be. Do you just want a better ride from your KJ, or do you want to lift it as well?

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yellocoyote- I like the idea of stiffer suspension, as I do drive fast on the twisty road and I may want to tow a trailer in the future. If I also get lift, that's an added bonus but not a requirement. My KJ will never be my ********* off roader, I have an IH Scout Terra for that. I would like my KJ to handle well on the highway and handle light to moderate off road, loaded down with camping gear, kids, dog, wife etc etc.

The road I commute on is very rough so my one concern with HD springs is every pothole is going to jar my teeth out, and make the interior sound like its falling apart.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
With as many miles as you have on your stock suspension, even if you go with the medium duty coils, you'll likely notice a lift over where your KJ currently sits. Bonus for you. ;)

My heavy duty coils rode a little rough right after I installed them, but have mellowed out a bit since then (they were installed a little over a year ago). Granted, they still have a firm ride, which some people might consider to be a rough ride, but I like them a lot. They respond really well on/off road.

But, as stated above, I haven't had the opportunity to compare them with what medium duty would feel like...

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go heavy duty all the way
927s/948s

Agreed.

I went 926/947. I don't regret it in the least, it's a drastic improvement, but if I were to do it again I'd go HD all around. It will NOT be too firm - despite the springs being more stiff from a rating standpoint, they feel SO much less harsh than stock. Don't let the spring ratings scare you.

Everyone told me, but I don't listen - ask my wife. :happy175:

No matter what you're going to get a lift. Just don't confuse "stiffness" with "harshness". The MD will be stiffer than OEM, and the HD even moreso. Neither will be more harsh though, it'll ride much better than stock. The stiffness makes the KJ handle much better but it will absolutely not jar your teeth out of your head. I couldn't really wrap my head around the difference until I actually did put the MD's on my vehicle. Much more stiff, much less harsh. Now I can see why HD's are a good choice.

Also, everyone says "it'll ride like a Cadillac" - horseshit. It'll ride like a short wheelbase 4x4. Just a MUCH nicer short wheelbase 4x4. :D

Last edited:

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good choice, I've also got the HD OME springs and am very happy. Plus you mentioned that at times, you'd like to be able to tow and/or have a full load with family etc. For this alone, I think HD was the right choice.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The HDs are the way to go, mine had over 100,000 on them when I upgraded my suspension. They then went on another KJ after that

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the UPS tracking#, my HD springs & shocks will be here today. Now, to get past Christmas, get over this nasty cold and have a sunny day or two for install.
Any tips for installing the springs? Any related threads I should read?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's lots of threads on here. My advice is to get a good shop lined up to do the front coil assemblies. Call them ahead of time and make sure they know what you are doing. That is, unless your're doing it yourself :freak3: and have done them before. 21mm deep socket, that's a key tool. Also make sure you have all day and no distractions... unless you're Tommudd. :icon_twisted:

I would start soaking the nuts and bolts with PB blaster before hand too.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck with the install
It is very easy to do really
I take mine apart some evenings just to have something to do. :shrug::happy175:

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I see on here always about how crappy the stock springs are, and that they sag alot. I know that no spring will last or not sag forever, but are these Jeep springs just junk or something?? I have driven a few ford trucks past 100k miles and never did a thing to the springs and they always seemed fine. My 06 liberty has about 40k now and i see everyone says they are shot by now.....how would i know? For now it seems to be about the same ride as i remembered when it was new.......thanks in advance Ken

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
All springs sag over time, no matter what manufacturer it is. Some will try and tell theirs hasn't sagged at all until you measure the ride height. My first new truck I bought in 75 sagged over an inch in three years, so its always been the same.
Measure your KJ from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare to get a half way starting point.
For reference we just did a KJ in my garage last friday. Lower mileage 05-06 forget what year etc. but when I pulled it in and measured, it had sagged over an inch sitting just below 18.5. New OME 927s/948s, extra top plate and he was gone with a smile at 22.5, 3 inches over new stock height

also as far as ride goes, it goes away slowly each and every trip, its not like one day it suddenly starts to handle or ride worse, so it does it so slowly that you never really notice it at all, you're just used to a crappy ride without knowing its crappy. Well not until you upgrade then you're like WOW now this is great.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan's silver KJ has the 60 lbs worth?Detours winch and back bone.
I agree HD 927-948 is the way I am going as well.
Can't wait for my Khacki KJ to grow up....
37891[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• TwinKjs.jpg
    TwinKjs.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 2