Undercoating that neutralizes rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any undercoating products that can be sprayed over rust and have it stop the rust and protect from more rust? I know they have primer that is supposed to do this.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've seen stuff in the automotive section of Walmart that claims that is does this. Made by Rustoleum.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rubber parts, hoses, CVs, any type of linkage, ujoints, all kind of common sense things.
I started painting under mine when it had less than 500 miles on it. Has maybe 100 coats :eek: added by now;)

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably smart to try and remove as much rust as possible before doing it?

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be on drugs but i feel like I've read somewhere about something that you put on rust that changes it chemically or something.. idk search for it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rubber parts, hoses, CVs, any type of linkage, ujoints, all kind of common sense things.
I started painting under mine when it had less than 500 miles on it. Has maybe 100 coats :eek: added by now;)

You are the HJ of spray paint Tom....:eek:

As to that rust removing paint, I would try to get as much rust off as I could before using the rust removing paint. I used the rustoleum stuff before and that seems ok. I don't know about any other rust removing paint as I havn't tried it.

Dave

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few "rust converter" paints and primers out there, but I've never seen anything undercoat or bed liner related.

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are chemical converters on the market, you paint it on rust and it turns it into a paintable surface, but you have to cover it in paint after the chemical process dries.
Most leading hardware stores carry it in the same section as their spray paints.
Knock the loose flakey stuff off with a wire brush and hit it with the Rustoleum hammertone color of choice, and you will have done far more to protect the underside than most Liberty owners will ever do......

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
POR-15 combines with rust and stops it from spreading. Makes like a hard shell.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't bother,it's junk and will flake off even if you prep the surface correctly.Waste of money,aka snake oil.
POR-15 is far from junk/snake oil. I've used it/seen it used on multiple occasions and it works very well. If the surface is preped properly, it does an excellent job of suppressing the rust and I've never seen it flake off.

If you don't feel POR-15 is adequate to solve the PO's problem, why don't you offer a suggestion of something that can?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
prepared properly is the main words above. Most anything will work great if the surface is prepared properly.
I had half ownership of a paint and body shop back in the 80s, companies were always coming out with products "That all you do is paint over the rust and it goes away" never saw any of it do that. It may cover it for a while but rust is rust, you have to remove it first.
I have never seen POR -15 work that much if any better than a well prepped painted surface.
I'll stick with just good paint ;)

Last edited: