Ultra high-mileage liberty!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepontruckin

Reaction score
*Update*

Well the wife and i took a trip up to the Bronx in NYC this past week. It rolled over to 415k during the drive. We didnt have time to hang out, so i basically drove straight there and straight back. It was a little over 500 miles round trip. The jeep made it 100% fine without even the hint of an issue! this Jeep is still just as reliable as the day it rolled off the assembly line. we averaged 15.1 miles per gallon. I wouldn't hesitate to drive this Jeep all the way across the country if need be! Anyway just giving a little update on the mileage of my vehicle.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 speed automatic. issue was i shrugged when mechanic was like "yer trans fluid is dirty"

One of the biggest things about my job as an Adviser I hate the most, when telling people the transmission fluid is like oil and needs to be changed, the wide variety of responses from the facial expression I'm lying to them, the ''My Mechanic says this...'' Speech to the ''I know what I need to do to take care of my vehicle'' speech. I had one customer, somewhat bright but only listened to what his dad said and that was you only flushed a transmission twice in its life time.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the wife and i took a trip up to the Bronx in NYC this past week. It rolled over to 415k during the drive. We didnt have time to hang out, so i basically drove straight there and straight back. It was a little over 500 miles round trip. The jeep made it 100% fine without even the hint of an issue! this Jeep is still just as reliable as the day it rolled off the assembly line. we averaged 15.1 miles per gallon. I wouldn't hesitate to drive this Jeep all the way across the country if need be! Anyway just giving a little update on the mileage of my vehicle.

That's a lot of miles. Awesome to hear that it's holding up well.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You see a lot of them with 160K-200K miles but then the transmission seems to let go. At that point the person weighs the cost of a new transmission against the value a Liberty with that many miles and chooses not to have it repaired. If its been a good reliable vehicle I'd swap the transmission - but then I can also do that myself and only have $400-$800 in it. People looking at a $2000-$3000 repair bill are so quick to go that route.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You see a lot of them with 160K-200K miles but then the transmission seems to let go. At that point the person weighs the cost of a new transmission against the value a Liberty with that many miles and chooses not to have it repaired. If its been a good reliable vehicle I'd swap the transmission - but then I can also do that myself and only have $400-$800 in it. People looking at a $2000-$3000 repair bill are so quick to go that route.

You can blame that on the lack of wanting to do a Transmission Fluid and Filter Change so they crap out early.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I was going to have my transmission flushed in the summer of 2013. My regular place didn't do it and the yahoo I spoke with at another place told me not to mess with it unless it was having trouble. I didn't quite buy that, but it put me off the idea and I have not yet gotten back to it.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to admit one thing I like about a Manual Trans is you don't have to do much service to unlike an Automatic.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to have my transmission flushed in the summer of 2013. My regular place didn't do it and the yahoo I spoke with at another place told me not to mess with it unless it was having trouble. I didn't quite buy that, but it put me off the idea and I have not yet gotten back to it.

If you wait until you are having trouble before you change your transmission oil you waited too long. Just think if he gave you that advice with changing your engine oil.

Your manual will tell you to change the fluid every 30K.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to admit one thing I like about a Manual Trans is you don't have to do much service to unlike an Automatic.

You might check your manual. I was surprised how often it said to change the fluid in the axles and transfer case on mine. When I had the transmission fluid changed at Midas when I bought my Liberty with 60K they checked the axles and advised me to have it changed to - which I did at home.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might check your manual. I was surprised how often it said to change the fluid in the axles and transfer case on mine. When I had the transmission fluid changed at Midas when I bought my Liberty with 60K they checked the axles and advised me to have it changed to - which I did at home.

I don't have a transfer case, or front differential, just a transmission, driveshaft, and rear differential. Plus I've driven plenty of extremely high mileage manual trans vehicles on original clutches and fluid. Also the new Dual Clutch Automatics have service intervals of 150k or more now is another thing about a wonderful self sealed transmission. :mexsmoke:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus I've driven plenty of extremely high mileage manual trans vehicles on original clutches and fluid. Also the new Dual Clutch Automatics have service intervals of 150k or more now is another thing about a wonderful self sealed transmission. :mexsmoke:

So true about the manual ******, I really miss having one. I had an 88 Chevy Beretta 2.0L 5spd manual I bought brand new and when I traded it in on a minivan 8 years later it had 247k on the original clutch and fluid. Never had an issue with it to the day I traded it in.

My 2011 Avenger with the 62TE 6 speed autostick claims it's good for 100k without a change. It's got ATF+4 in it. Shows you how good that stuff is I guess. We'll see about that with the way I drive it.
No dipstick just a cap like the newer KJs I guess and supposedly dealer only serviceable. We'll see about that too.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will most likely be re-written here within the next year since they're constantly re-writing the maint. schedules of all cars but it seems now the 30K is now for ''severe use'' where normal isn't until 100K or so on many transmissions.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will most likely be re-written here within the next year since they're constantly re-writing the maint. schedules of all cars but it seems now the 30K is now for ''severe use'' where normal isn't until 100K or so on many transmissions.

Read your manual. If you are driving on the North American continent your vehicle is seeing "serve use" - you will be told that if you have a warranty claim. I've gone through that with Dodge on a 2.7 engine.

Last edited:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It didn't matter if you did your oil changes every 1500 miles. Chrysler would have made an excuse why they would not warranty the 2.7L engine. Its why law suits got filed.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It didn't matter if you did your oil changes every 1500 miles. Chrysler would have made an excuse why they would not warranty the 2.7L engine. Its why law suits got filed.

They covered mine, I had all the receipts and I did change the oil at 3K. If you changed it at 5000 as the book said for "normal" use you were pointed to the severe duty section and were told you neglected to maintain the engine. Then the transmission blew at 28,000 miles - which they rebuilt and poured the same transmission oil back in (not joking). I didn't even bother to drive that car home - I drove it a half mile up the street and traded it on a Kia Sedona - with the Dodge dealer paper floor mats still in the car. Same driver has put 140K miles on the Kia with only a set of brakes and one squeaky idler pulley.

Last edited:

jeepontruckin

Reaction score
Thread Resurrection

Well I pulled this old thread up and thought I'd post a final update on my Libby. I'm sad to say, we finally decided to let the Jeep go about 6 months ago. However, I'm happy to share that it was not due to mechanical issues. It basically became more of a restoration project than just repairs. It still ran the day we sold it.

Anyway, the final count on the odometer was a respectable 485 thousand miles. I a little disappointed I never hit the half a million mark.

Did I mention that I never so much as removed a valve cover, and it was still running the original timing chain?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I pulled this old thread up and thought I'd post a final update on my Libby. I'm sad to say, we finally decided to let the Jeep go about 6 months ago. However, I'm happy to share that it was not due to mechanical issues. It basically became more of a restoration project than just repairs. It still ran the day we sold it.

Anyway, the final count on the odometer was a respectable 485 thousand miles. I a little disappointed I never hit the half a million mark.

Did I mention that I never so much as removed a valve cover, and it was still running the original timing chain?

Dang, I'm not quite halfway there - good to know I've got 280,000 miles left on my Libby! :waytogo:

Bob

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Seriously? Ya couldn't have driven it another 15,000 miles just to get there?! I would have. At that mileage, and in the condition you describe, the truck is probably "almost" worthless for resale... might as well driver her literally into the ground.

So what was your engine maintenance like that let you get so high of mileage?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.