U Joint lessons learned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced my front U joint on the prop shaft yesterday. Never done this job before so I learned a lot...

-Dont try to do it in place. Just take off the shaft and do it on the bench. I wasted quite a bit of time trying to avoid taking it out.

-The bench vice is solid gold for this job.

-I should have had an impact gun for the bolts holding the rear of the axle in.

-15 mm socket was just the right size to use as a punch for driving the bearing caps in and out.

-Before installing the new U joint, use a file or small grinding wheel to debur the edges of the holes. I destroyed a brand new U joint because I was stupid and tried to force something that didnt want to be forced.

-If your not sure if the needle bearings are still intact, check. It ***** to take it apart after going through the trouble of putting it in, but do it.

-A little grease in the hole helps a lot when trying to insert things. (I'm talking about bearing caps:icon_lol:

-I did the job without jacking up the vehicle. The problem with that was I found myself wanting to move the vehicle in order to turn the shaft to reach bolts better. If it were jacked up, it would have been much easier.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not good to force things in when they don't want to be forced.... gets you slapped a lot

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Replaced my front U joint on the prop shaft yesterday. Never done this job before so I learned a lot...

-Dont try to do it in place. Just take off the shaft and do it on the bench. I wasted quite a bit of time trying to avoid taking it out.

-The bench vice is solid gold for this job.

-I should have had an impact gun for the bolts holding the rear of the axle in.

-15 mm socket was just the right size to use as a punch for driving the bearing caps in and out.

-Before installing the new U joint, use a file or small grinding wheel to debur the edges of the holes. I destroyed a brand new U joint because I was stupid and tried to force something that didnt want to be forced.

-If your not sure if the needle bearings are still intact, check. It ***** to take it apart after going through the trouble of putting it in, but do it.

-A little grease in the hole helps a lot when trying to insert things. (I'm talking about bearing caps:icon_lol:

-I did the job without jacking up the vehicle. The problem with that was I found myself wanting to move the vehicle in order to turn the shaft to reach bolts better. If it were jacked up, it would have been much easier.
Live and learn,would add,might as well do them both while you are at it. Well done young man.