Typical mechanical issues between 110k-140k on '02 Limited??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have an '02 Limited that has been essentially trouble-free up to this point. We hate the gas mileage and threaten to get rid of it constantly over that, but otherwise have been reasonably happy with it.

We have 2 older cars though with high mileage and have to decide which one we're going to get rid of. Right now the Liberty is the frontrunner to go over the gas mileage, but was wondering what sort of reliability some of you have had during this 110k-140k mileage range to see if that changes our decision.

What sort of typical mechanical issues are some of you having to perform on these cars between these mileage ranges?

Thanks!

Last edited:

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Opinions here guess are biased...... :D

Mine is '06, but saying goes that '02 were well built, and, if automatic, should have the reliable 45RFE ******.

Vehicle is not so old, IMHO, so normal preventive maintenance, like water pump and belt, tensioner, fluids (all!), brake pads,
hubs are a bit expensive though, U/joints ant the like, spark plugs and the '02 should be like in her green days :)

Expensive, but maybe not necessary, could be timing chain replacement, same as for every other vehicle, I suppose.

No comment on fuel consumption, it's like talkng about the weather for a brit....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your complaining about it's mpg's then just get rid of it,you don't have a clue about what Jeeps are for and what you don't get with them(good mpg's).

Yeah that was blunt but I don't like to suger coat things,but if you actually kept up your maintenance like you are supposed to you may well have another 100k before it's done.Of course parts will wearout at that mileage like on any other vehicle.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Most things I have had to replace on my 2002 have either been wear items (belts/brakes/hoses/hubs/etc), or things I have been guilty of damaging myself. I'm currently pushing 165K with mine, and it runs like a champ. I take care of it, and do the maintenance as it should be done (for the most part). I love my KJ, despite any mileage concerns.

jcbll95

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I dont understand how getting rid of a vehicle that is most likely paid off and still trouble free a good idea, just because it gets cruddy mpgs. Look at it like this my KJ gets around 15 mpg. Gas as of today was $3.15, and i drive about 1300 miles a month. So i spend about $273 a month in just fuel.
Now take a suv that gets 25 mpg and do the same math, about $164 in just fuel, for a difference of $109.
Sounds good right? Nope, add in the payment. Average between $350 to $400 plus the rise in insurance costs. So you end up spending 5 or 6 hundred to save 1:happy175:
Sound like stepping over dollars to pick up pennys to me.
But its your money and your decision.

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting rid of it for gas mileage alone probably won't save you much, and might cost you depending on what you choose as an alternative. For instance, if you sell your jeep for $5000, and purchase a $3000 high-mileage, high-mile used car, that'd be ok.

But if you spend even a small amount-- anything over a couple of thousand dollars-- to upgrade to something with higher mileage, you'll have to get dramatic increases in mileage to see it pay off within years.

Quick math: If you get something that doubles your gas miileage, and you drive 15,000 miles per year (average American mileage), it's going to take a year to get back an investment of around $1600 (at current gas prices). The bigger the investment, the longer the ROI. And that's if you double your mileage. If you do anything less than doubling it, add that into the equation.

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your first line might say it all. You just might not be a Jeep guy. I have always made sacrifices to drive what I want to drive. If I am ever only reasonably happy with what I'm driving, or doing, or whatever, change it and be happy. I guess your performing due diligence asking a bunch of Jeep addicts what they would do. Why do I think the other vehicle is a 2wd “Ricer”? Please tell me I'm wrong.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have had your KJ for a while and kept up with the service schedule it shouldn't cause you any more problems than any other vehicle. Just keep up with the servicing and it should be fine. I have got a 2002 and keep having to throw money at it now and again but I also drive a Ford van which is 3 years old which is forever dropping to bits! Everything on all vehicles wears out at some point but if you go trade it in for a newer vehicle thinking it will be better, you might just end up buying someone elses problems and end up having to spend a load of money trying to get it put right. Sometimes it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't!! Put a bit of money aside that you would pay on the monthly payments on a new vehicle and keep it to put your Jeep right if something goes wrong on it that you didn't expect. Now about this weather...................... Hehe. :smokin: