Type 43 Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried searching on this, and found one thread where the consensus on the little "type 43" at the bottom of the instrument cluster was that it was the model number of the cluster. Fine.
My question is, why would it sometimes be lighted, and sometimes not?

Cant find any reference in the manual or the maintenance CD, and when I search, I find a lot of threads that dont really seem to have anything to do with it.:shrug:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's painted on, it just identifies what market/cluster type....

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried searching on this, and found one thread where the consensus on the little "type 43" at the bottom of the instrument cluster was that it was the model number of the cluster. Fine.
My question is, why would it sometimes be lighted, and sometimes not?

Cant find any reference in the manual or the maintenance CD, and when I search, I find a lot of threads that dont really seem to have anything to do with it.:shrug:

Probably depends on how the sun/light is shining on it.....I guess?

Dave

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the input but I promise you I know the difference between a lighted indicator and paint with sunlight shining on it. Any other ideas?

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just turn down the instrument lighting and the mirage will go away.

All those lights just screw up your night vision anyways as you learn in basic... or if you spent much time as a pup driving without headlights on :secret:

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the input but I promise you I know the difference between a lighted indicator and paint with sunlight shining on it. Any other ideas?

Okay, apparently I dont.

I did, however, figure out that I was different kind of idiot than I felt like you were calling me.

My reasoning for this statement was that I could have sworn that I saw this thing illuminated sometimes, and other times it was completely invisible. There is no way, I figured, that if this thing was painted on, it would be totally invisible sometimes.

Looking closer today, I realized that the difference had nothing to do with lighting, but with my line of sight. With three people driving it regularly, the seat is constantly being adjusted. Today, I realized that just shifting my posture a tiny amount, makes the sign disappear below my line of sight behind the steering column. Its so close to the bottom of the cluster, that I thought I was seeing the whole thing, even though I wasnt. :pp:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It got me too at first....most of the time you won't even see it.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't see it in the pics below but on my Cdn Libby it's labeled as a Type 33;
You must be registered for see images attach

On my Cdn YJ it's labeled as Type 5.

cv32

Reaction score
I experienced exactly the same thing whilst driving my liberty home from the dealer .... i was terrified that i had a fault and it was a warning indicator of some sort :) I was wondering what i had just paid hard cash for !

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
lol .. amazing how many people ask that question.

oh BTW your manual is in the glovebox :D