Two With One Blow!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, figuratively speaking.

Our roads around home are still covered with tightly-packed snow 'cause it's fairly rural and hasn't gotten above 20 in about - what, three weeks now? Anyway, we were sitting down for dinner tonight when my wife looked out the kitchen window, across the field behind our house and there's an old Honda with the nose in the ditch and a guy standing around.

So, I grabbed my coat and pulled on my boots, got into the Libby and as the garage door is going up, there's ANOTHER car in the ditch in FRONT of my house!!

Locked into 4Low, put the snatch strap on the horns and had the Chrysler and the Honda pulled back onto the road within about 5 minutes. I tried to take some pics but it was getting dark and my cell phone doesn't have a flash.

Felt pretty good coming back into the house, even though dinner was cold. Earned some points with the wife though for playing "good Samaritan."

Andy

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You do good things for them, and people will do good things for you.

BMR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Newb question, but where would be the best place to hook a strap to a small car like that?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Newb question, but where would be the best place to hook a strap to a small car like that?

Depends on the car...some have a tow hook. It's getting harder and harder with the extremely light duty independent rear suspensions on most cars nowadays. You want to look for something solid to hook to, preferably on the unibody. Or, something that is cheap and easily replaceable if bent ;)

jnaut said:
It's good to be the king.

You look like the Piss Boy!

BMR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was wondering, my neon had the aforementioned super light duty independent rear. Woulda ripped right off!

You must be registered for see images

Well isn't that nifty!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, most smaller cars have little hooks welded under the car. Our little corolla has more tow points than a stock kj. :eek:

I was changing the oil in it the other day and noticed it had 3 under the front bumper. One on each side and one right in the middle. I know it has at least one under the rear bumper but Ive got to say, they are not meant for hard pulling. If you jerk on them it will tear the entire bumper(metal bumper, not plastic) off the frame, if you can call it a frame.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Believe it or not, most smaller cars have little hooks welded under the car. Our little corolla has more tow points than a stock kj. :eek:

I was changing the oil in it the other day and noticed it had 3 under the front bumper. One on each side and one right in the middle. I know it has at least one under the rear bumper but Ive got to say, they are not meant for hard pulling. If you jerk on them it will tear the entire bumper(metal bumper, not plastic) off the frame, if you can call it a frame.

Those are not actually "tow hooks" They are used for transporting the vehicle from point of manufacture to their final destination. Like when they stuff 4700+ vehicles on a transport ship from Japan and ship over half a million units to our Fraser Wharves here in Richmond every year and then ship them to all points east on train car carriers and strap/chain them down so they don't roll or move around while in transit.

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm iffy on latching up to the tie-down hooks too. The Honda was easier, it was a mid-eighties and had a nice meaty control arm to hook onto. The Intrepid or whatever it was, different story. Actually had the guy pop the trunk and wrapping around the cross-member between the rear wheel wells. Not ideal, but worked out okay.

Biggest thing is taking up the tension nice and smooth and not jerking the crap out of it. And what's better at that than a KJ in 4-Low?

2006 KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

the right way to do it is to buy a chain with a cluster of hooks on one end.. a small 'j' hook, small ' t ' hook and small normal hook. normally you can hook the 'j' hook into a slot in the unibody,frame,unibody frame rail... that are put there for that specific purpose (on all vehicles). been helping my dad with a towing/body shop business for the last 6 years and have seen/heard of a lot of those "tow hooks" exploding when pulled on.

Being a good person does pay off sometimes..

Some guy in a small front wheel drive car pulled into a parking lot to talk on the phone... the parking lot happened to have a foot and half of snow so needless to say he was stuck. i came by and pulled him out.. and he gave me $20 (which i tried to refuse over and over but he was insistent) and offered to buy us some beer.. however my 3 friends and i were all about 17-18 years old :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.