TWO broken regulators in one day? Opinions please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend bought her '07 KJ a few months ago (there's a thread about it) with 8k miles. Now it has 11k miles, not that it really matters, I guess. She came out from work yesterday to find BOTH rear windows down. One window was down completely, and the other was down a few inches. Naturally when she attempted to put the windows up, they wouldn't go up, and what I assume are the regulators are clicking loudly (like skipping gears).

I remember when I asked opinions about the KJ that alot of folks said that the regulators went bad frequently, but BOTH windows in ONE DAY? The truck is still under warranty ($100 deductible) so we will have them fixed rather than just do it myself. I pulled the door panels and wedged heavy leather welding gloves between the window and inside door frame to keep the windows up for now. (didn't want to use tape and possibly damage the tint or paint, plus it looks GHETTO!).

What may cause both to fail like that? Any way to do the repair so that it won't happen again anytime soon? Are we better off with the dealer fixing it with dealer parts, or an aftermarket mechanic with possible aftermarket parts? Thanks.

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently fitted the Steiger kit to my 2005 KJ. The regulator broke back in January while the car was at the dealership being serviced, and they agreed to swallow the cost. The replacement regulator broke about a month ago, hence I ordered the Steiger kit.

Chrysler's official fix is a complete waste of money. They replace the entire regulator including the motor and glass, and yet the new regulator still has the cheap plastic bracket on it, which means that it will break again. The Steiger kit is a once-and-for-all fix for the bracket and you keep the same motor etc (which are usually perfectly OK and don't need replacing).

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and did the dealer replacement. It was free and immediate, versus waiting on the parts and doing the repair myself. If they break again in the future, I'll do the upgrade. I was pleased that the new windows are tinted though, and look good.

epp

Reaction score
I bought a 2002 last summer at a Jeep dealer knowing there was a problem with the right rear window. The salesman told me it probably just jumped the track. I knew better based on what I had read on this forum. I finally ordered the part from steiger this summer but it was too hot so I thought I would wait until fall to replace it. My daughter took the Jeep with her to college and called last thursday night to tell me that the left rear had fallen. I ordered the part on friday and it arrived on monday with standard shipping. My daughter came in town on saturday so i could do something to hold up the left window. I went ahead and fixed the right rear since I had the part and the temperatures have cooled to the 90's. Either the previous owner or the dealer had used a piece of pvc pipe with a slit to fit around the window to hold it up. I did the same on the left side and am waiting for my daughter to visit again so I can fix the left side. The steiger part and instructions worked great.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2002 last summer at a Jeep dealer knowing there was a problem with the right rear window. The salesman told me it probably just jumped the track. I knew better based on what I had read on this forum. I finally ordered the part from steiger this summer but it was too hot so I thought I would wait until fall to replace it. My daughter took the Jeep with her to college and called last thursday night to tell me that the left rear had fallen. I ordered the part on friday and it arrived on monday with standard shipping. My daughter came in town on saturday so i could do something to hold up the left window. I went ahead and fixed the right rear since I had the part and the temperatures have cooled to the 90's. Either the previous owner or the dealer had used a piece of pvc pipe with a slit to fit around the window to hold it up. I did the same on the left side and am waiting for my daughter to visit again so I can fix the left side. The steiger part and instructions worked great.

On an 02?
Usually the problem is more for the later regulators, 05(or 06)-07s..

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still hoping the more Chrysler has to replace these at no cost... The better the possibility they will fix the fix! Just me being optimistic.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer just replaces it with the same thing... I doubt they will change the design of it unless a recall is made. It was stupid to use a cheap thin plastic to hold the window like that in the first place but oh well nothing we can do about it except get the Steiger perfomance repair kit which is made of metal and will permanently fix the issue.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rear window is held up by a block of wood and two screws (inside the door) until I have other money issues cleared up, then it's getting the aftermarket part

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine were almost that bad. One broke, I ordered the Steiger replacement part, before that could arrive (about 3 days later) another one broke.

One of the regulators that broke had already been replaced by the dealer under warranty. It originally broke with VERY low miles.

The original regulators are made of CHEAP plastic. When you see the part, you'll understand why they go bad. Horrible design! Anyway.... :disgust:

The Steiger parts are VERY good. The company is very good with customer service, and shipping is fast. You won't be disappointed.

Since hers is an '07 (as mine) I'd highly recommend popping the door panel off and checking to see which type regulator you need. If it was replaced by the dealer before you purchased it, they would have used the older '06 style regulator and replaced the window as well. There are detailed photos on the Steiger site to compare.

Replacement isn't hard at all. Just wear a long sleeve shirt when you do it because of the little sharp edges on the metal.

Here's a pic of the '06 type that replaced my '07. This is what you get, along with a new window, if you go to the dealer to get it fixed. This one has about 14,000 miles on it. You'll see where the plastic "tube" is worn away next to the oval hole. That's what wears out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some of you said they fixed this for free, is this for anyone (as in a recall) or if i have a deductible with my warranty am i gonna have to pay that, getting it fixed for free would be nice but if im gonna have to pay, i might as go the aftermarket route as i think its around 80 dollars compared to 150 deductble, btw mine just went the day after i was at the dealer getting something else fixed.

i'm assuming my problem is the same, mine will slowly roll up, then stop, or slowly roll down then stop, and its very very loud, i can use my hands to slide it up the rest of the way

gnp.hiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some of you said they fixed this for free, is this for anyone (as in a recall) or if i have a deductible with my warranty am i gonna have to pay that, getting it fixed for free would be nice but if im gonna have to pay, i might as go the aftermarket route as i think its around 80 dollars compared to 150 deductble, btw mine just went the day after i was at the dealer getting something else fixed.

i'm assuming my problem is the same, mine will slowly roll up, then stop, or slowly roll down then stop, and its very very loud, i can use my hands to slide it up the rest of the way

I called Chrysler and they fixed two of mine out of warranty.

Latest posts

Members online