turn signal blinking DOUBLE TIME!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegapgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My right turn signal started blinking at double time today! It illuminates and clicks twice as fast as normal.

My fiance said it was a bad bulb, but when he replaced the right side front and rear bulbs, it continued!! Is it a fuse?

Anyone run into this before???

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My right turn signal started blinking at double time today! It illuminates and clicks twice as fast as normal.

My fiance said it was a bad bulb, but when he replaced the right side front and rear bulbs, it continued!! Is it a fuse?

Anyone run into this before???

Not sure what year you have (should put in post) but my 02 has two in the front. One straight in front and one I guess is supposed to be more like a side marker. Mine was fast flashing last week and the left main front bulb was out but the side front was working.

Guess I should have asked first if any of these bulbs were blinking? If they were not did you try the hazards? The turn signal relay is in the multifunction switch and the hazard relay is in the flasher switch on the dash.

Last edited:

thegapgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2006 Jeep Liberty

Ooops sorry . . . . it is a 2006 Jeep Liberty. Yes, I did try the hazards and they appeared (and sounded) to function normally.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm not sure if the 06 has the two front bulbs on both sides but if all the bulbs were working with the flashers then I'd say the relay in the switch was bad. Unfortunately to change that the entire switch must be changed.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The relay is in the multifunction switch which is the turn signal lever etc.

Check out your vehicle in the following:

RockAuto Parts Catalog

I'm still thinking it is a bulb. Are you sure they all work with the flashers? Usually if the relay goes the signal doesn't work at all.

thegapgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well he did say my back brake light was out on the same side. He replaced that as well.

So we should just change ALL the bulbs on the right side, correct?

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually if the relay goes the signal doesn't work at all.

True ^^^

You could use a digital volt meter and back probe the blinker bulb socket while the blinker is flashing and see what the blinker voltage reading is.

This is a VERY basic example of how the blinkers work:

Normally, the electricity will flow from the battery to the blinker stick then to the relay/flasher. The electricity then flows thru the wire....travels thru the bulb (lighting it up), continues flowing thru the wire then connects to the car, and then to the battery. There are alot more things involved, but this is the basics.

Electricity generates heat. The reason the blinker blinks is because the heat build up bends a piece of metal within the relay/flasher mechanism which in turn cuts off the supply of electricity (heat), once the metal piece cools off, it un bends and electricity again flows. The cycle repeats, and that is why the blinker blinks.

The left blinkers operate separately from the right blinkers. If only the right blinkers are blinking fast then obviously the problem is with THAT side of the car. A bad relay/flasher causes BOTH sides to be affected in the same manner. BUT if the left side is blinking fine then you will know that the relay/flasher is still good because it's still doing its job.

However much electricity is sent thru the wires is the same amount that needs to return to the battery.

Let's say for example you have a battery with one wire sending electricity to the bulb then from the bulb you have 5 wires sending electricity back to the battery. The light blinks as normal.

Now, let's say you cut one of those 5 wires leading back to the battery.......your four remaining wires have to do the job of five. Those four wires are passing the same amount of electricity as five, but they are sending it at a faster rate per wire in order to maintain the same total amount of electrical current.

So yeah, your blinker will blink, but it will blink faster due to the faster electricity (heat) flow.

I would look for a broken ground wire as being the problem. Sure someone will say a broken ground wire would cause the light to not flash at all. And they may be right on certain vehicles. But newer vehicles these days have electrical systems which share common 'negative' grounds, that one interruption could cause a problem. Anybody behind a car ever see the lights turn off when the driver pushes the brake pedal......poor ground......the electricity is looking for the easiest path back to the battery.....thru the brake lights

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no blinker relay inside the multifunction switch...all the logic for flashing is built into the Hazard Switch which is working fine.
You will get rapid flashing on one side if any one of the lights concerned is not working...either because of a bad bulb, a bad bulb socket or a bad ground. You need to watch the left side with the flasher ON and see what lights are flashing....now do the same with the right side to see if any of the lights that should flash no longer does so...that is where your problem will be. Did replacing the back brake lamp fix the brake light problem?

Make sure all bulbs replaced are the correct wattage ones....they may flash but the logic picks up the wrong current reading because of the wrong wattage rating.

Probably a missing ground or bad bulb holder somewhere!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no blinker relay inside the multifunction switch...all the logic for flashing is built into the Hazard Switch which is working fine.

Geez this is good to know. Sorry for the confusion. I thought I saw somewhere the relays were separate. Thanks for clearing that up for me. That definitely rules out the relay for sure. :waytogo:

Rowlette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is most likely the rear turn signal bulb is burnt. Do yourself a favor and check that first before you purchase a relay. You probably installed a defective bulb or the contacts need to be cleaned. I have had the same problem myself.

Last edited:

thegapgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed it!!

IT IS FIXED!! (2006 Jeep Liberty)

When we reviewed all the lights on the right side (the side having the issue), we found TWO bulbs were burned out. A back light and the flasher light.

When we replaced the back light, the blinker continued to blink at double time. When we replaced the flasher bulb, the blinker returned to normal.

So it appears . . . . when a flasher bulb burns out, it causes the turn signal (on the same side) to blink at rapid speed, just like the flasher would do.

Perhaps, its a safety mechanism to alert the driver that a Flasher bulb is not working????

Thanks to everyone for your insight!!

Last edited:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been working on cars since 1970, exact same way the flasher's reacted all that time.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.